Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,642,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The solution, is to control our overpopulation problem, in the state, in the country, and in the world. We need to reverse population growth, and reduce the population. The only way for future generations to have a better quality of life is reduce the population so each person has more land and resources for themselves, not less. Even for people who don't believe we have a population problem now, it should be obvious that continuing to increase the population to spur development, can only ultimately lead to disaster. At some point the population will reach a critical mass, and it will no longer be sustainable with the amount of resources the planet has. Population growth has got to stop sometime. The sooner the better. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like most people are getting it.
Perhaps a subsidy or stipend for voluntary sterilization? You could literally buy out the reproductive potential of entire regions with a few billion dollars. .... Is this what you had in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 PM

5,406 posts, read 8,092,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Perhaps a subsidy or stipend for voluntary sterilization? You could literally buy out the reproductive potential of entire regions with a few billion dollars. .... Is this what you had in mind?
Voluntary?? Heck no. All Cloudy has to do is press the MASS STERILIZATION button.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 PM

169 posts, read 235,871 times
Well, this thread took a really bizarre turn....

Old 04-13-2018, 07:12 AM

740 posts, read 1,243,111 times
I watched Denver's population balloon over 43 years (one of the reasons we left). It had a lot of jobs though. Situated between Calgary and Texas during the oil boom, then communications companies figured out they could uplink to both coasts from there, making Denver a cable capital for awhile (I worked in that industry). Add two interstates crossing through Denver and an international airport and you have much more potential for growth than we have to worry about in central Oregon.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 AM

423 posts, read 286,277 times
I love the way Oregon protects it's fertile farmland with urban growth boundaries.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 8,823,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
I watched Denver's population balloon over 43 years (one of the reasons we left). It had a lot of jobs though. Situated between Calgary and Texas during the oil boom, then communications companies figured out they could uplink to both coasts from there, making Denver a cable capital for awhile (I worked in that industry). Add two interstates crossing through Denver and an international airport and you have much more potential for growth than we have to worry about in central Oregon.
Well there you go. It's happening in Colorado, it's has already happened in California, yet some people think Oregon will somehow be immune to it.

The single best thing to ever happen to Oregon was the collapse of the timber industry in 1980. When that happened, population growth in most of rural Oregon hit a brick wall, saving it from being ruined by development. But now, that doesn't really matter. With all of the problems going on in Colorado and California and other states, people are swarming into Oregon to get away from the million dollar home prices and $2,000 a months rents for small apartments. Unfortunately that will only expand the problem to Oregon. What is going to happen when there is no where left for people to run to? All I can say is, I'm happy I won't be around.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Voluntary?? Heck no. All Cloudy has to do is press the MASS STERILIZATION button.
Other than controlling population growth, what are the alternatives? Continuing to multiply like insects, and devour all of the resources, until it is all gone, and then die off? That is literally the thought process of an insect. Humans should be able to come up with a better plan.

I'm sorry, but I think it is a serious problem. Making light of it, is probably not going to help.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,243 times
Default years to expand UGB

Quote:
Important part:

All that does, is controls which land will be developed first. The debate is not if it should be developed, but rather which land will be developed first.

The only way I can see to prevent Oregon from being ruined by development, would be to completely freeze UGBs at their current size. I just don't see that happening.

The greedy developers won't stop until they develop every single inch of developable land. I have seen it happen. I lived in the Silicon Valley when they bulldozed the very last orchards.

This was their solution for preserving the agricultural history of the Santa Clara Valley. They cut down the very last cherry trees, so they could build a strip mall, but they saved the cherry stand on the property. So it could continue selling cherries, grown in Mexico.
It took the state almost 8 yrs to approve Bends UGB expansion and it did not expand all that much. It is not a fast process nor an easy process

Old 04-13-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkel0 View Post
It took the state almost 8 yrs to approve Bends UGB expansion and it did not expand all that much. It is not a fast process nor an easy process
Yet Oregon is still doubling in population every 50 years. Those people have to go somewhere. The UGBs will have to double to keep up. Which means that there will be twice as much developed land in Oregon in 50 years. I don't see how that can be good for anything.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,265,984 times
Quote:
Yet Oregon is still doubling in population every 50 years. Those people have to go somewhere. The UGBs will have to double to keep up. Which means that there will be twice as much developed land in Oregon in 50 years. I don't see how that can be good for anything.
The recent UGB has 70%+ (if not more) infill, meaning the development areas are INSIDE the old UGB and are about densifying the existing land stock.

Yes, there will likely always be some expansion outside of the UGB as the law is not a moratorium on expansion, but it's main principle is to heavily prioritize the densification of current land stock, first.

This was plainly shown when the State rejected Bend's UGB expansion in ~2009 where Bend approved an UGB expansion that centered on expanding outside the current land stock and not much, if any, densification. AKA what you describe above.

A moratorium on expansion would be illegal, challenged in courts and the byproduct of this extreme would be no UGB at all. This would lead to exactly what you and I do not want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkel0 View Post
It did not expand the old UGB all that much, at all. The State stopped Bend from doing this.

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-14-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend