U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 12:05 AM

53 posts, read 95,607 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the many BendBroadband customers that signed up two years ago with a decent rate that's gonna shoot up $20 extra starting next month. I gave them a call, asked what they could do for specials, and of course, they tried to bundle their expensive TV and/or phone packages. (fun fact: I have DirectTV now with every channel under the sun for $40 a month.....they'll never beat it) After I declined, they said "If you just want the internet, there's nothing we can do for you." That's the customer service I appreciate, telling it to me straight! Saves me time, loses them money (win/win)

When I first moved to Central Oregon I remember researching the options, many of which are DSL (CenturyLink) or Satellite (Webformix). All had speeds that were less than impressive.

Has the other guys come closer to what BendBroadband monopolizes Central Oregon for when it comes to cable speeds? I'm looking at Sureline and even though it's $99 for what they call 5G speeds, I'm tempted to just go with them and enjoy the ride. Because if you want 300 or 600 megabit speeds, BB thinks you should also rent a $10 modem instead of buying one for yourself. #TheLogicIsSound

There are days I wish a billionaire would come in and invest in what BB already has, so we could kick them to the curb. Alas, I fear Central Oregon will be left in the dust when it comes to ISP competition and service. Meanwhile, they have a FB data center in Prineville that's using....ummm...PrineTime? Maybe not. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM

625 posts, read 448,115 times
I heard that Bend BroadBand was recently bought out, with the expected drop in service, increase in prices that comes with that kind of move.

One of my big concerns for moving to Bend was the sad state of internet connections available in the area. We moved from a place where we had fast fiber optic right up to our house with high reliability.

The options in Bend are really grim. CenturyLink is notorious for bad customer service. BBB has actually become quite a bit less reliable and slower since we moved here a couple years ago, which is moving in the wrong direction. The only thing that has increased with BBB is price.
But hey, when you have a monopoly....Why try?

We have never in our life had cable TV hookup. But to get "no caps" with BBB you have to buy cable TV package, so we had to buy the minimum TV package, due to the catch 22 of needing no caps when you only use internet. The speed that was "standard" when we joined now is an added price to their already expensive internet hookup, and dropout happens quite regularly.

I was hoping the internet situation would improve with Bend embracing Modern Times at least for internet, but nope, it seems to be going in the wrong direction, paying more for a crappy slow connection than most cities that have much better connections.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:10 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,831,623 times
TDS purchased BBB 4 years ago and I'm still a happy customer.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:56 PM

53 posts, read 95,607 times
UPDATE:

Did enough research, figured out I still wanted the best speed and ended up going with BBB's 600 service.

Pros:
*Wired connection is exactly as advertised, I actually get around 630.

*The entire house has benefited, including my home office which used to get 2-5, now it's hitting 60 on the low end and 85 on the high end. I realize that's not great for 600 level service but my office is pretty far from the router (more on that in a second)

*Despite the $10 monthly fee, I can tell the modem/router is pretty solid.

Cons:
*Price: $125 a month.....wow! So why'd I do it anyway? Because everyone I spoke with that wasn't BBB offered terrible speeds ("We can totally do 20....maybe even 30 if you ask nicely for $89!"). Yes CenturyLink is pretty cheap, but man all I kept finding was terrible customer service reviews across the board. Their mantra of "What you choose is what you pay for" doesn't seem to ring true for the vast majority of the reviews I've seen. Often folks would state they're paying $45 for the 40 and really getting around 2 or 3. That's insane to me.

*Monthly Router Rental Fee: There's a Reddit post that in the past month states BBB will be exploring moving away from this requirement. You have no idea how excited I am if it's true. You can also submit a handy complaint to the FCC explaining that if you can find the modem on Amazon or elsewhere, you should be allowed to use your own. I asked the technician and he said that even if I find the exact same make/model/everything, it's $10 a month.

*Data Cap - 1 TB is large....but I could see myself coming close with these speeds. I'm able to blaze through anything now which is great, but it'll use up more data. We shouldn't have to deal with that in 2018, going on 2019. All that tells you is they don't have the infrastructure in place to handle certain speeds. Gigabit speeds may be coming to Bend late next year, so it'll be interesting.

But the MOST important part of this story goes back to the install technician, who might win a gold medal from me if I had any laying around. He called to let me know when he would be showing up.....and he was only 10 minutes off that time. It gets better, as he took the time to test my connection, replace wiring, and just overall educate me on signal strength factors. He even offered to test the modem in different locations, as it's been tethered to the far end of my house for 2 years. While I don't get 600 speeds in the office or bedroom, it's a HUGE improvement and it's because he took the time to test it out in various situations with me.

The technician was upfront, honest, and just a fantastic person to work with. I'm sure I got lucky but man did I appreciate it. That alone made me feel better about upgrading.

Bottom line: In Central Oregon, you're basically stuck with BBB for legit internet speeds. It's not always pretty, I don't always love the company, but that's it. Sure, you have local satellite providers and CL, but the cost of their low speeds will likely be a turnoff for many. I'm still very open to fixed 5g in 2020.....or whenever Sureline figures out how to build the towers in Bend/Redmond, but overall, I'm shocked to say I had a positive experience with BBB. I just wish my bank account could say the same.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,831,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk423 View Post
*The entire house has benefited, including my home office which used to get 2-5, now it's hitting 60 on the low end and 85 on the high end. I realize that's not great for 600 level service but my office is pretty far from the router (more on that in a second)
If your office is connected to the router via wifi then I would say those speeds are very good. If it is a wired ethernet connection something is amiss.

FWIW, I use a wired ethernet connection for devices that really need the speed. Wifi for everything else.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM

4,005 posts, read 1,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk423 View Post
I'm one of the many BendBroadband customers that signed up two years ago with a decent rate that's gonna shoot up $20 extra starting next month. I gave them a call, asked what they could do for specials, and of course, they tried to bundle their expensive TV and/or phone packages. (fun fact: I have DirectTV now with every channel under the sun for $40 a month.....they'll never beat it) After I declined, they said "If you just want the internet, there's nothing we can do for you." That's the customer service I appreciate, telling it to me straight! Saves me time, loses them money (win/win)

When I first moved to Central Oregon I remember researching the options, many of which are DSL (CenturyLink) or Satellite (Webformix). All had speeds that were less than impressive.

Has the other guys come closer to what BendBroadband monopolizes Central Oregon for when it comes to cable speeds? I'm looking at Sureline and even though it's $99 for what they call 5G speeds, I'm tempted to just go with them and enjoy the ride. Because if you want 300 or 600 megabit speeds, BB thinks you should also rent a $10 modem instead of buying one for yourself. #TheLogicIsSound

There are days I wish a billionaire would come in and invest in what BB already has, so we could kick them to the curb. Alas, I fear Central Oregon will be left in the dust when it comes to ISP competition and service. Meanwhile, they have a FB data center in Prineville that's using....ummm...PrineTime? Maybe not. haha
It's only going to get worse. Last year after Charter got their merger approved, the rates immediately jumped from $59.99 to $64.99. I'm sure that is just the first of many rate increases to come. They have to recover all the money they spent on the merger. That's what happens when you allow companies to form monopolies to rape consumers, but we keep letting them do it anyway. Oh and I'm still waiting for the speed increase that Charter promised. I don't expect that to come as fast as the rate increases.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM

4,005 posts, read 1,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's only going to get worse. Last year after Charter got their merger approved, the rates immediately jumped from $59.99 to $64.99. I'm sure that is just the first of many rate increases to come. They have to recover all the money they spent on the merger. That's what happens when you allow companies to form monopolies to rape consumers, but we keep letting them do it anyway. Oh and I'm still waiting for the speed increase that Charter promised. I don't expect that to come as fast as the rate increases.
Funny after I made that post I did a speedtest on my connection, and figured out that I have recently gotten the promised speed increase from Charter. I ran a speed test and noticed that my normal maximum 66 mbps 5 mbps speed had increased to 69 mbps 5 mbps. I had never seen that speed before, so I decided to restart my modem to see what was up with that. After restarting I got 69 mbps 11 mbps. The advertised speed is 100 mbps 10 mbps. So my upload speed was now exceeding the promised speed, but my download was barely faster. Next I ran a Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on my wireless router to my desktop, and did another speed test. The results 93 mbps 11 mbps. Which is probably about the maximum my old router can handle. But I had hoped that would be the wireless speed, not the wired speed. That's a little disappointing. So I'll probably have to upgrade my wireless router, and maybe my modem now.

So the limitations of your hardware is definitely something to think about, if you do manage to find a good high speed connection. The good news if you live in an a Charter service area, they are getting the speed up. Hopefully your service in Bend will improve too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or