U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 AM

625 posts, read 448,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
We left in 2010. Didn't like the crowding in of more and more people on the same amount of land and the changing political demographic we saw happening. We moved to Boise Area. But now the same thing is happening here.
I hear there is a rural town in Illinois that doesn't have crowding issues, that you could move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:24 PM

145 posts, read 111,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
We left in 2010. Didn't like the crowding in of more and more people on the same amount of land and the changing political demographic we saw happening. We moved to Boise Area. But now the same thing is happening here.
Drove through Boise today on our way towards Glacier National Park. You can have it. 4 lane freeways, sprawl not for me!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM

248 posts, read 337,745 times
Default 4 lane freeway?

We only have one main freeway across ID and that is I-84????

Old 09-09-2018, 03:13 PM

523 posts, read 383,345 times
Where else is there to go? Is there another hot unknown city in Oregon?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,453,112 times
It depends what you want. What size and how much fancy stuff.

Hip with all the extras? There a few spots for that. Portland metro, Eugene, Bend. Maybe Corvallis, Medford /Ashland.

Smaller with less extras? If somewhere outside Bend isn't the answer then options include La Grande, Pendleton, Hood River, Grants Pass, Roseburg, Florence, McMinnville, Monmouth, Cottage Grove...

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2018 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 09:34 PM

This is how people are voting with their feet.

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/erry...on_city_g.html

Old 09-23-2018, 03:47 PM

2,215 posts, read 4,835,479 times
How ironic. When I was planning my move OUT of drug and pagan infested Utah I explored Bend/Redmond as a possibility. In the end it was NOT going to be affordable for my wife and I who are now taking our Social Security and basically retired. The land, taxes and general cost of living wasn't there for us. In the end I chose rural Idaho where a good number are retirees. It's a very slow pace here and most folks know everyone or are happy to meet them. There's virtually NO traffic to speak of and the air quality is prime as is the fresh veggies and fruits easily available nearby from the farms. Forget about Boise with it's sprawl and poor air quality, that wasn't even on my map of possible choices. Oregon almost got my nod but in the end there were too many benefits of Idaho and lower taxes to boot with some senior bennies. Everyone's needs are going to be different. But if you're an older person looking for some breaks, I doubt Oregon is a good choice.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Bend was an early mover in a barely acceptable location with a diverse, nearby outdoor environment. Momentum built on itself. It is unlikely many rural locations take off that much if it hasn't already happened. But if they are going to have at least a mini-boom I set 5 criteria for that possibility:

1. At least a 10k population base & associated infrastructure.

2. Within 4 hours of a substantial metro.

3. Average age under 40.

4. At least 40% Democratic voters.

5. At least 20% with a 4 yr degree.

Checking the cities I mentioned, Medford, McMinnville and Monmouth meet all the criteria. LaGrande and Pendleton are a bit too conservative. Klamath Falls is too conservative and a bit too old. Redmond isn't quite up to the educational criteria but will get there. Being close to Bend obviously made it a lot easier. Prineville misses on educational and poltical grounds. It is growing because of proximity to Bend and probably wouldn't on its own. Cottage Grove misses on education attainment. Grants Pass on education and politics. Roseburg on political & age criteria. Florence misses by a huge amount on age criteria and slightly on size but has done well. Hood River meets all the criteria easily except base size. When it soon reaches that base size it will likely see larger gains. If you add in White Salmon WA they just reaching this threshold. Corvallis and Eugene of course crush all the criteria.

These are test criteria and not everybody's. But if a community misses on two it seems less likely to breakout unless helped by other circumstances, like a strong neighbor (Bend, Medford, Portland, etc.) If a community hits all the criteria, prospects appear good in cases checked. Maybe you can hit all and still not do above average growth. I dunno, haven't absolutely checked everybody. Could fail if neighbors are stronger, I guess.

The relative quality of the outdoor opportunities matter in a western state. And how well known the area and opportunities are.

I don't know how Bend did on several of the criteria 30-50 years ago. Might look later. But the criteria of today may not have been exactly the same then.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-23-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM

68 posts, read 63,161 times
There's still a place like the rural PNW I grew up in but I had to think outside the box to find it. It's Hokkaido, Japan. I bought a small farm there in the foothills of the Hidaka Mountains where we live almost off the grid. Thirty minutes to skiing, clean air, water, safe and a prefectural population that's decreasing at the rate of 40,000 people per year. We're surrounded by abandoned schools and farm houses in a region slowly reverting to its wild, natural state.

We maintain a foothold in the Portland area where we still own a home but once our kids are out of school and on their own it's adios amigos.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:09 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,631,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
There's still a place like the rural PNW I grew up in but I had to think outside the box to find it. It's Hokkaido, Japan. I bought a small farm there in the foothills of the Hidaka Mountains where we live almost off the grid. Thirty minutes to skiing, clean air, water, safe and a prefectural population that's decreasing at the rate of 40,000 people per year. We're surrounded by abandoned schools and farm houses in a region slowly reverting to its wild, natural state.

We maintain a foothold in the Portland area where we still own a home but once our kids are out of school and on their own it's adios amigos.
Interesting post but likely not doable nor desirable for most US folks. I admire your adventure spirit though.
Do you care if there is any value to your place? In my reading, and my travels, I perceive Japan as being in a slow demographic death spiral. Will there be anyone around to buy your place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or