Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It looks like 6 move in, 1 leaves in the recent data, if I read it right.
Source?

I don't know how they could track outflows with any degree of accuracy.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...oaching-100000

Last edited by BendLocal; 10-06-2018 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Census migration data for 2011-14.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Census migration data for 2011-14.
Link?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 AM

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...migration.html

It isn't labeled well / clear to read, imo. MOE is margin of error? I think.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:00 AM

12 posts, read 26,080 times
Personally yes, I am planning on moving some late spring/ early summer. There are a few reasons. One being the massive amounts of people moving here. I am all for change and meeting new people. I've been in Bend for 30 years. I moved up here for a job offer and my family was from the area. When I first came here and up until about 8 years ago, I could drive from the east side to the west in about 15 minutes. That same trip takes me over 40 on a good day. The big factor for me is the
increase in housing and rental costs. I can't afford to keep paying higher and higher rents while my hourly wage has remained the same if not bumped up a small amount. Poor city planning, sky high rentals, low wages and little opportunity are driving me to leave a place I once loved. The trails, camping, even walking the local parks has become terrible. My normal walk downtown has turned into a nightmare and the increase in aggressive homeless and druggies is noticeable. I'm torn as far as where to go but most of my doctors have retired or moved on and the town I once loved has changed into something I don't desire to see.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Grand Junction? https://coloradosun.com/2018/10/24/g...new-residents/

Any new thoughts on GJ (or GJ vs. Bend) Delta07? If Grand Junction's new guard is going to pull in bigger amounts of like minded neighbors / customers, they'd probably want to pull from Bend. Appears to want to be the next Bend. May make progress but not sure how fast a transformation to expect. Still conservative, meh at best schools, poverty / homelessness / crime. The next 10-20k of in-migration will probably accelerate the change. Certain neighborhoods and satellite towns may jump up faster and farther than city / metro as a whole.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-28-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,200 times
ive lived in oregon my whole life so bend is a nice place to me. theres way too many houses though for a city thats 100,000. if money wasnt a problem it would be great and id buy a house. when i lived in oregon city it was way worse, there werent that many apartments.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
What other cities meet these criteria? Well, among others, Camas WA, Boise ID, Littleton CO (almost. a little old.), Helena MT. Places that some on CityData forum fleeing Bend or CA or CO are now in (or considering). Some conservatives or anti-liberals or anti-government or anti-growth. They still went with places that are not that conservative dominant, not that anti-government, places that were still growing. Interesting.

Places that had these criteria in common with the places they left. The criteria aren't that restrictive; but with the one slight exception, these choices didn't change from any of these criteria shared by the places they left. I guess these are not the problems per se. Or if any sort of are, they weren't decisive negatives. Don't like or agree with non-conservatives much? Well, I guess you can maintain that stance even if you choose to live in an area that is not particularly conservative dominant. Some will go for that of course. But not all. Some like the restaurants, the arts, the government services of the places they picked and are near (education, airports, etc.) apparently over more conservative options. Despite differences in how people vote, there may be a broader agreement on how / where they choose to live. Don't like growth? You might still choose a growing or fast growing area because of the urban amenities and perhaps the educated / socially oriented people.
Wenatchee WA would be my choice as the best Bend alternative. Or if you like the high desert more than the snow, maybe Las Cruces, NM which does have skiing 1.5 hours away in Cloudcroft. Both are roughly the same size as Bend, but not so costly or tight on housing. Especially Las Cruces which is considerably more affordable, and also has a major university which is a plus.

Last edited by texasdiver; 11-06-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Especially Las Cruces which is considerably more affordable, and also has a major university which is a plus.
What does the university provide that is a plus?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:13 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
What does the university provide that is a plus?
Good paying jobs
A reason for young people to stay
New blood in the community
Economic investment

Compare Albany to Corvallis and tell me which is the more vibrant community. Take away OSU and Corvallis would look a whole lot more like Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend