Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,735 times

Advertisements

I HAVE TWO BOYS AGES 6 AND 14, MY FIANCEE AND I WANT TO MOVE TO BEND OREGON AND I NEED TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE SCHOOLS AND ACTIVITIES FOR MY BOYS. THE BOTH ARE IN ROLLER HOCKEY AND WANT DESPERATLY TO PLAY ICE HOCKEY. THEY ARE ALSO AVID DIRT BIKE RIDERS AND WOULD LIKE TO RACE. DOES BEND OFFER THOSE TYPE OF ACTIVITIES FOR THEM? MORE IMPORTANTLY I REALLY NEED A GREAT HIGH SCHOOL FOR MY 14 YEAR OLD. HE IS IN ONE OF THE TOP 5 IN THE CALIFORNIA STATE RIGHT NOW, BUT WE REALLY WANT OUT OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. I AM INTERESTED IN RAISING MY OWN CATTLE, CHICKENS, VEGGTABLE GARDEN, HORSES, ETC. MY FIANCEE HAULS HAY FOR THE RACE TRACKS OUT HERE AND WILL BE HOME MORE IF WE RELOCATED SOMEWHERE BEAUTIFUL LIKE BEND. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE TOWN WITH HIM ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS AND FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. ANY HELP FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU,
KIM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 PM

30 posts, read 129,812 times
I raised four children in Bend and all were active in the school's music and athletic programs. I believe the schools are as good as any. Of course, success in school is determined by more than just the school's rating. Bend IS an awesome place to live. The roller and ice hockey might be challenging here. I'm sure others on this forum might be better informed in that arena. Don't plan on a vegetable garden, unless you're talking about frost resistant veggies... My wife is involved in an aspect of the property world. Contact me via direct message if you'd like input in that area.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,659,648 times
I don't know specifically about those activities. Check out the city of Bend parks & rec department though. They have a wide range of activities and classes kids and adults can do. You can find them online. The schools here are good, compared to others, but I have heard differing opinions. I think it depends on where you come from. I just moved to Bend from western CO and I think the schools are much better.

It's possible to have the lifestyle you are looking for, but you had better bring a lot of money with you. Land is not cheap here. In order to raise cattle, etc. you are going to need acreage. You might look into Redmond, Prineville, or other areas of Central Oregon that still have land that is somewhat affordable.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM

480 posts, read 2,460,204 times
If you want cattle, chickens & horses, then you probably can't live within Bend's city limits. You're probably going to need to check out the Redmond, Tumalo, Sisters, and Prineville areas for ranch-size properties. In that case, how good Bend schools are won't likely matter. And think about a greenhouse if you want a lot of veggies - it's a fairly short growing season, but people do have successful gardens here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend