U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

2,861 posts, read 4,419,151 times
Public transportation is definitely the weak point of Bend. I don't see it improving with the current state of the economy. However, Bend is fairly small and many people find they can commute by bicycle most places. I have to agree with Bendite though. If you don't have worked lined up, I wouldn't even consider moving here. The unemployment rate in Deschutes Co, where Bend resides, is upwards of 11-15% right now. I know of so many people that have been laid off from work. No one is hiring and if they are, expect major competition. As much as you hate San Diego, it might be worth it to stick it out and wait for the economy to improve a little. Otherwise, you may end up going flat broke if you try to move to Bend right now!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,619,398 times
cyanrainbow, unemployment is very high in the Bend area. I don't recommend making a move to Bend now if you need a job.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 AM

18 posts, read 42,535 times
Thank you Nell, Bendite and Delta x

I appreciate your feedback! What a shame! We are throwing away so much money on the high rent in San Diego. Hopefully my son can get a transfer when the hiring freeze at his job is over. What about those who have skills like auto mechanics and home repair? Could one make a living (provided ones apartment was not expensive), doing low cost repairs for people who are wanting to cut back on expenses?

Can you really find a two bedroom apartment for $600.00? Or is that an exception to the rule?

Thank you for your help. We really want to get out of California! It's a wasteland!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 AM

16 posts, read 45,552 times
All of the schools are good, and most are newer. The "nicer" part of town for the most part is West and NW. The "West Side" as we call it is the more diverse/pretty part of town, and the East Side is just sort of sprawling with houses, with a Costco, Safeway, Barnes and Noble and some restaurants. There aren't really "bad" places in town, and there isn't much crime except for an occasional car break-in. Anything more usually gets on the news. The only thing is JOBS ARE SCARCE. Can't stress that enough.

Dogs fare very well here, just keep a leash handy.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,894 times
There are no flying jobs in central oregon. As both a pilot and aircraft mechanic laid off from cessna here locally, i can tell you the aviation industry is not in central oregon. As for recreational flying its great. The folks at pro-air and fantastic and will take care and help you with anything you need. As for the dog issue you would be surprised at how intolerant people are here in bend. There are alot of dog owners like myself.. but you have to be very careful what you do and where you do it at. local police love to issue dog citations

Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM

50 posts, read 81,328 times
I think the aviation kind of depends. Are you professional or recreational? If recreational, Bend has a couple of small airports, one municipal and one private. If you're professional, the nearest "major" airport is Robert's Field in Redmond. It has many major flights to places like Portland, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Denver and Salt Lake City.

As far as I know, Bend has some good schools (I live in Redmond and go to Redmond High so there's that hometown rivalry going on )

Bend has got some pretty cool places to eat and shop, and I'd say the best places to shop is The Forum and The Old Mill. The Forum has got some big-ox stores like JC Penney, Best Buy and Famous Footwear. And the Old Mill has stores like American Eagle, Pac Sun, REI and the Oregon Ducks Store. As for places to eat, I like Taco Del Mar and Red Robin, but that kind of place is more casual Oh and I can't forget Downtown. Although the only stores I actually LIKE are Powell's Sweet Shoppe and Ranch Records. I HIGHLY reccommend Ranch Records if you like music.

And you will find MANY people in Bend that share the same political preferance as you. Bend has it's extremeists though (more liberal than conservative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend