Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times

Advertisements

I posted this in an older thread last Friday, but haven't heard any responses, so thought I'd try again.

I'm curious to hear from those long-time (or longer than my year anyways) Bend residents. What is the normal fall weather for the Bend area like? Last fall, my first fall here, was absolutely gorgeous--dominated by mild temperatures (mid-70s), sunny, blue skies, and very little rain. This fall, in contrast, has been overcast, cool, and fairly rainy (for this CO girl). Is this year's fall weather more the norm, or is last year's weather more typical for this time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Although I don't live in Bend, I have been tracking the Bend weather for a while, as we are considering moving there from the CO front Range. Typically Bends weather is quite close to ours, although a little milder. We have also been cooler this fall by a large amount. We are forecast to get into the teens for the second time this month. Some ski areas are open (earliest in 40 years.)
I think it is just a cool fall.
We did come to Bend over the weekend, I think I like it.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
I live about 100 miles south of you - the fall of 2008 was not a standard fall, Indian Summer went into mid-November or so. This fall has been a little cooler and wetter than normal, with first hard frost coming a little sooner than normal, but it wasn't by much.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM

162 posts, read 513,291 times
I thought Bend was supposed to be sunny all the time, the opposite of western Oregon. However, when I look up the forecast for Bend, I always see the same weather as Portland or Eugene. Sounds like a total myth that Bend has nicer weather.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,343 times
Not sure how you define nicer weather, but Central Oregon is much drier then the valley. From my home I watch the clouds stack up against the west side of the Cascades. Often the forecast will say chance of rain, but it rarely materializes. Rarely is the forecast right.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 AM

33 posts, read 155,306 times
Its November and has been sunny every day almost since I moved here a month ago. ITs weird, the one rainy day, it clouded up and rained for 5 minutes and then the clouds broke and it became sunny.

However, I do hear that Bend gets clouds, but the clouds dry out. I think what Bend doesn't get is the thick foggy low clouds that WEstern Oregon gets. I don't mind these partly cloudy days as much as I mind the long, perpetual drizzle of the valley.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoni777 View Post
Its November and has been sunny every day almost since I moved here a month ago. ITs weird, the one rainy day, it clouded up and rained for 5 minutes and then the clouds broke and it became sunny.

However, I do hear that Bend gets clouds, but the clouds dry out. I think what Bend doesn't get is the thick foggy low clouds that WEstern Oregon gets. I don't mind these partly cloudy days as much as I mind the long, perpetual drizzle of the valley.
Your idea of sunny weather is probably different from mine, since you moved to Bend from western OR. A sunny day to me is truly a sunny day, no clouds, just crystal clear blue skies. It has definitely been cloudy here this fall, but hopefully this sun we've been getting will last a while longer. I'm just missing the bluebird sunny days! I don't mind the cold, in fact I love crisp fall days, just want a little more sun before winter sets in.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Hi Delta,

I think this fall is more typical. I live in Ashland, which, surprisingly actually has similar weather to Bend. We get the same storms as all of Oregon, but much less rain falls because we are on the dry side of the Siskiyous. However, it can get cold and cloudy. For instance today has had very little rain so far, but a cold front is blowing through and it is cloudy, windy, and cold. Bend is a bit colder and drier than here, but because it is a bit further north, gets plenty of storms.The spring and fall in Oregon are highly variable, so you can get just about anything. Certainly when the storms start rolling through it will feel cool to cold and windy anytime from mid October to May.

Even in Ashland, we have had snow before Halloween and as late as April. I would expect to see occasional snow in Bend as early as mid October to as late as May. So, it really just depends upon what the jet stream is doing. If it sags south and the storms start rolling through, Fall can be quite chilly, wet, and cloudy. But usually it is not uniformly stormy until November. My impression is that Late Fall/Winter are really one season that arrives in early November in Oregon,with only a minor cooling between now and January. West of the Cascades, we do see crocuses coming up in late February, but I suspect it would be a bit later there.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Well it appears as though fall has landed here in Bend. It was certainly the shortest summer I've ever experienced! The arctic cool front that blew down from Alaska has been quite a shocker here in August, but as I read more and more this isn't entirely uncommon. Luckily I've amped up my garden beds and built hoops on all of them so I can cover my plants easily at night. We're supposed to get back into the 80s by the end of next week too. I sure hope this was a rare cool front and we have a beautiful fall. I don't think I could handle a cold one after this year's spring!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
September '11 was extremely dry, brilliantly sunny and warm (mid 70's- low 90's) - one of the better September of my short life, actually. October '11 was also dry and perfectly sunny, but not as warm (60's to just touching the 70s) save for a few days right at the begging of October where it was a bit cooler/cloudier and the last day or two where it seems the cold weather has taken hold (upper 40's-50's), albeit still brilliantly sunny.

Personally, I was hoping for repeat of last fall with another early storm in October dumping a few feet on the mountains leaving us with a couple of inches in town to help pretty the place up for a day or two......sadface. Looks like Colorado's getting that this year and probably a WHOOOOOOLE lot more......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend