Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:04 AM

38 posts, read 151,070 times

Advertisements

Please post any info on La Pine OR Quality of Life good/bad areas all the usual stuff.
I`m thinking of buying a ranch south of La Pine ..so La Pine will be my nearest service area .
Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 35,820 times
Exclamation LaPine, Oregon

Very hot in the summer. Less snow than Bend. Very treacherous icy roads during winter from Redmond into Bend and Bend South. Lots of deaths and injuries due to poor driving on these roads. We read a story that there is a lot of meth and subsequent crime. Central Oregon is "island living" in that you have to drive three hours to get to a major metropolitan for cultural events, good shopping, higher education, etc. Central Oregon is good if you are content with a dry climate, a decent ski mountain, really, really long and freezing cold winters and hot summers. People either love it or hate it. I'd suggest you rent here and experience the area for two years before buying anything as the extremes here in climate, income levels, cost of living, etc. are quite noticeable here and should be experienced as they impact and affect quality of life here.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,823 times
Default La Pine, Oregon

If you can handle the weather and the driving conditions, another thing to consider is the high water table. Folks in La Pine are beginning to see restrictions on their septic systems for this reason.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 AM

38 posts, read 151,070 times
Thanks for the info.
Are there any good geothermal engineering firms in the area ?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,706 times
Colin,
We are looking very hard at la Pine, to the point of making an offer on multi acres

Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Baugh View Post
Thanks for the info.
Are there any good geothermal engineering firms in the area ?
Oregon Institute of Technology in Klamath Falls has a big database on the topic
GEO-HEAT CENTER

Also, "hot in summer" is relative. Compared to the southwest or the San Joaquin Valley, it's not really all that hot because it's higher elevation. Average summer high temperatures are in the 80s and 90s, with some records breaking 100 - it's hit 100 once this year, according to the NWS.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,473 times
Default Life In Lapine

I Lived In Lapine For 4 Years..it Is A Beautiful Place To Live,and That Is The Draw...what You Wont Find Out Untill You Live There Is That The Weather Is Very Bad...i Would Have Around 2 To 4 Feet Of Snow In The Winter.also It Would Hang Around Till Early May..also A Giant Problem Is The Meth, And Crime In Lapine...drive Around The Area And You Will Notice Old Small Travel Trailers Parked Around ..many Of Them Are Labs..also What You Will Not Be Told Is The Breakins In The Area...dont Bother Calling The Local Sheriffs Dept...many Of These Go Un Reported Dew To Lack Of Interest.i Had 2 Conversations With Under Cover Drug Cops In Bend.i Told Them Of 2 Well Known Labs In Lapine.his Response Was Lapine Is Low Priority. He Also Made Me A Promis That I Will Never Forget.and I Quote."i Promis You We Will Do Nothing About It"..shortley After I Moved Away 3 Of The Locals Finest Were Finally Caught And Fired.one Is Serving A 17 Year Sentence..this Is Also Not A Great Place To Raise Kids..not Much In The Way Of Entertainment For Them.the Drive To Bend Gets Old,in The Winter Its Dangerous..many Of The People That Live In Lapine Are Retired And Are Snowbirds..if This Is You Its Not Bad..you Get The Nicer Weather In Summer,and You Dont Have To Make Money.also You Arent Raising Kids.the Best Move I Ever Made Was Selling My Business And Home And Getting Away..also My Good Friend And His Wife Sold Their Business And Home To Get Away.one More Thing The Realestate Agents Wont Tell Is The Turn Around Rate..most People That Move To Lapine Only Last 3 To 4 Years..go There In The Summer And Look At All The Places For Sale....the Lapine Area Is A Nice Place To Visit For Outdoor Rec..lakes,hiking,rivers,ect..its Very Beatiful.but Not A Great Place To Live...

'
The High School Is Also Infected With This Poison..i Had My Own Business In Lapine,as A Good Friend Of Mine.he Would Not Let His Daughter Attend School There Because Of The Problem..his Wife Was A School Nurse There..she Saw Problems With Kids And Parents On A Daily Basis...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,595 times
Default Attn: Colin Baugh

We are also considering buying a lot in La Pine; however the prior reviews are somewhat discouraging. Did you buy your ranch and if so, what do you think of the crime conditions there in La Pine?

Does anyone have any additional comments on this subject. Have the crime conditions improved - or worsened due to the economy?

Do many people that work in Bend live in La Pine?

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
There is a park-and-ride lot in La Pine, so there must be people who commute to Bend. It'd be a serious drive in the winter, though, with the majority of it one lane in either direction (until you get over the hill by the cinder cone where it widens to 2 lanes).

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times
reading some of these old posts..... makes La Pine seem like a hell-hole.

On the contrary La Pine is being discovered..... NICE Homes on large lots (1/2+ acre) are selling between $120,000 to $150,000..... people are seeing VALUE in La Pine.... and La Pine is GROWING.

McDonalds is opening late August..... McDonalds does very extensive research before building a store.

La Pine is putting a new stop light at Burgess and Huntington (making this a 2 stop light town LOL).

What I am saying here is La Pine is being discovered!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend