U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 AM

501 posts, read 597,605 times
Agree with Silverfalls on this one.

Quote:
Do all Bend residents look down upon Redmond as if we are inferior to them or is it just the rich snootie ones
You have taken what one woman said, and are "wondering" now if that one statement means that every man, woman and child in Bend believes the same. In the alternative, you wonder if what one richie rich woman living in AB said means that ALL of what you consider to be richie rich people in Bend feel like this one woman? Seriously, you think that doesn't sound exactly the same as what you think she was doing?

Btw, it sounded like she doesn't like the city of Redmond, ie the area - she said "that place". Why did you think she meant instead that the people of Redmond were inferior? I think your assumption that she thinks Redmond people are inferior is coming from you more than her, because you judged what she said through your filter of what you believe richie riches who live in a certain neighborhood must think about you guys in Redmond.

For the record, I find there is a great diversity of opinion on such things throughout Central Oregon, and that it is pretty hard to predict who thinks what, just based on outward appearances that you think mean a person is rich or random comments like what your dad heard. You might dig further into this woman's opinions and figure out what she really meant besides just displaying her bad manners by her response, but it would still not be relevant to what the entire population of her city thinks, or even to what others of her income level think.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 05-15-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:41 AM

27 posts, read 62,966 times
Did you actually ask her if she was from California? Perhaps you assumed she was because she was rich and "snobby". I am sure there are native homegrown rich and snobby people in Oregon. Sad that you must generalize that everyone from California acts this way. There are many Californians that are normal people and who actually think Redmond is a pretty great place to live. I and my husband chose Redmond over Bend as we like the small town feeling. However, whenever I go to Bend I have yet to hear anyone slam me for living in Redmond and have not had one person criticize us for moving from California.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 PM

8,988 posts, read 5,766,360 times
Default Let's not ratpack the dude

While I agree with the moral position of Silverfall on this one. I will also say that there is a genuine element of ignorant disdain that often shows up in newcomers who view cities mecca and local cities like Bend and Redmond, or Ashland and Medford, as the proverbial "lightning and the lightning bug." Mecca cities do tend to attract many people who, while interested in the mecca, have general disdain for the surroundings. When you have a real estate bubble where only exurban immigrants migrate to a few elite towns, these dichotomies set up.

So, while generalizing and judging the individual woman, or even all incomers, is probably unfair, I know where he is coming from. As a resident of Ashland, I see a lot of people who move in and live in Ashland in huge beautiful homes up on the hills that those without an equity boost cannot afford, and they often look down on the locals in the Rogue Valley, though few of those remain in Ashland. However, it is only fair to say that they often very generous, educated, civic-minded (in Ashland at least), and interesting. So, if Ashland is reflective of Bend, the OP is probably not totally off-base in terms of generalities. Of course all these groups of people and individuals are more than a few off-hand statements. The woman could be a pillar of the community with a great sense of humor. And the Bendites are probably much more interesting than simple snobs. As are, I have no doubt, the Redmondites.

For instance, one of my colleagues in N. California considers anwhere outside of California to be "iceberg lettuce land," but she is also one of the funniest, warm people I know.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:58 PM

15,951 posts, read 15,543,624 times
Interesting.

I was born in Oregon and grew up between there and the great state of Alaska; I live in both places now though I work in Alaska. Mr. Tom McCall was governor of Oregon while I was quite young and his anti California sentiments are legendary.

I think that the majority of the posters in this thread are transplants from other states. The people from California had as much right to move here as you did, by the way.

Silverfall is right on the mark here as usual.

I understand that it makes it difficult on locals when new people move in and drive up the property values. And it's difficult in a cultural sense when you get an influx of newcomers who desire to make it like where they came from.

I don't know what the lady in question in the OP meant by her remark but even if it was meant in disdain for Redmond for whatever reason...why does it even matter?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-15-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Nobody is questioning anyone's right to move to Oregon. However, Bend attracts a certain brand of people, and encouraging those people to look beyond the bubble and take an interest in all of Oregon seems healthy. I think the bubble mentality is very real, by which I mean that some of our new immigrants could never live anywhere except Bend, Ashland, Lake Oswego, West Hills, South Eugene, whatever. And if people are snobby, they should get over it. However, you (and Silverfall) pointed out something that is very true, that it is by judging people we hardly know, we are no better than the snobs we love to talk trash about. Perhaps if the OP's Dad had engaged the lady on what she meant a good conversation would have come of it, rather than insinuations. I was just saying I know where he is coming from, and he is in no way morally defective for having such thoughts. They are natural, but I agree, not the best attitude in the end.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 PM

965 posts, read 1,583,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncalif View Post
I am sure there are native homegrown rich and snobby people in Oregon.
In Oregon, snobbiness is not the exclusive province of the rich. The State of Jefferson, in particular, seems to promote equal-opportunity snobbiness at all rungs of the economic ladder. Those who drink their Miller High Life from a paper cup look down on those who drink it straight from the can.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
In Oregon, snobbiness is not the exclusive province of the rich. The State of Jefferson, in particular, seems to promote equal-opportunity snobbiness at all rungs of the economic ladder. Those who drink their Miller High Life from a paper cup look down on those who drink it straight from the can.
Hmm...never heard of the Miller divide. But I don't doubt it. Even if Tom McCall were to return from the clouds amidst a phalanx of blazing chainsaws, causing the Californians to flee in terror and timber industry to awake from its coma, we would still find plenty to carp and complain about.

So, I agree there is a degree of surliness around these parts. Not sure if that is snobbery or something else. Folks in Ashland like to talk about how terrible "Dreadford" is, but folks in Medford, Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, White City, Yreka, and Roseburg love to trash Ashland and all its rich liberals. Down on the NorCal Coast, the Arcata folk trash Eureka, and the Eurekans return fire. So, it's a wash. Add politics and things get even more divided. I wish we could all get along a bit better in Jefferson.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM

15,951 posts, read 15,543,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Nobody is questioning anyone's right to move to Oregon. However, Bend attracts a certain brand of people, and encouraging those people to look beyond the bubble and take an interest in all of Oregon seems healthy. I think the bubble mentality is very real, by which I mean that some of our new immigrants could never live anywhere except Bend, Ashland, Lake Oswego, West Hills, South Eugene, whatever. And if people are snobby, they should get over it. However, you (and Silverfall) pointed out something that is very true, that it is by judging people we hardly know, we are no better than the snobs we love to talk trash about. Perhaps if the OP's Dad had engaged the lady on what she meant a good conversation would have come of it, rather than insinuations. I was just saying I know where he is coming from, and he is in no way morally defective for having such thoughts. They are natural, but I agree, not the best attitude in the end.
All my life I've heard the rhetoric about how the Californians are going to move in and destroy Oregon. I find it interesting that most of the proponents of this theory came from somewhere else.

What certain "brand of people" does Bend attract? I haven't been there in quite a long time. Do they have McMansions there on the same level as the the development outside of Wilsonville (Charbonneau)? I used to visit that place about once a week to collect samples of Honey Locust trees when we were doing trials on a certain pest. The whole place seemed eerie...all those wonderful wide streets with no children playing in them. I can certainly see where the OP is "coming from" because on more than one occasion someone would emerge from one of the homes and want me to weed their flower beds or prune some tree or some such and I honestly felt a bit put out by that as I was always in a clearly marked State of Oregon vehicle. One of my colleagues would smile and say sure, we'd get right on those flower beds, and then we'd leave.

A couple of years ago a developer built some large homes on spec. in my little Oregon town and was attempting to tout the place as the next Bend or Ashland; that didn't go over too well with most of the locals, but then everything crashed and most of the houses are sitting there empty.

But...the ruination of Oregon by an influx of Californians that's been predicted all my life hasn't seemed to have happened, at least in my area, but again, I don't live in an effected location.

I see much more of that type of thing in the state of Alaska, where the cultural and climatic differences are much more marked....though Alaska has a way of weeding out those who have expectations different than the reality that they find.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:33 PM

13,463 posts, read 10,113,212 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that most of the proponents of this theory came from somewhere else.
I am a transplant myself from Chicago. For 30 years I have heard "native" Oregonians say this. I think the changes that have been made are more generational; young people no matter where they are from move here with different expectations, finances and ideas as to how they want to live.
That is what changes things the most.

If Oregon's boundaries had been closed to Calfornians 30 years ago, it would still have evolved into what it is today.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM

[quote=Minervah;14203329]I am a transplant myself from Chicago. For 30 years I have heard "native" Oregonians say this. I think the changes that have been made are more generational; young people no matter where they are from move here with different expectations, finances and ideas as to how they want to live.
That is what changes things the most.

If Oregon's boundaries had been closed to Calfornians 30 years ago, it would still have evolved into what it is today.[/quote]

Hmmm.... not sure I agree. The Californian immigration has brought some snobs, and huge homes, and gentrified towns (Ashland comes to mind), but it has also brought a lot of knowledge and energy and innovation. Many of the Californians I meet are well-educated and pretty darn good citizens for the most part. And there have been so many over the decades that they have had to have shaped Oregon, in both good and bad ways, I would guess. Would it have been the same with different immigrants? I don't know, but kind of doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend