Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,979,883 times

Advertisements

Hi. I recently returned from my 4th trip to Hawaii from my favorite island- The Big Island. Although the public schools in Hawaii started already, I was still able to get in 2 interviews as I am certified for special education which is somewhat in demand in Hawaii. The areas I got the interviews were extremely remote areas and I realized, unless the schools are within 40 minutes of a large town, I need to pass (I am 25, single, and don't know a soul).

I met a teacher in Hawaii who told me just to call up each school in the areas I am interested in because she said going through HR is useless in Hawaii. I wrote down all the schools in Kailua Kona, but can someone tell me the towns that are within 40 minutes of KK? Can someone also tell me the towns within 40 minutes of Hilo? I have looked at maps, but I would trust locals with how long a drive really would take to get to schools. I realized 40 minutes is as long of a commute I could realistically take.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
It is actually easier to meet people in a small town since folks talk to each other more. Folks would know right away you are new and if you were a teacher at the school you'd meet lots of folks there and the folks in the town would be welcoming since you would fit instantly into a known niche of "good people". When someone who doesn't do anything the folks understand, then there is a sense of "why is this person here" which can cause some confusion and suspicion.

Which schools did they give you the interviews in? Pahala and Kohala?

Also after getting into the statewide school system, you could teach one year at a remote school and then transfer to a different one fairly easily.

Towns within forty minutes of Hilo heading in one direction would be Keaau, Mountainview, and Pahoa. Of those three, if it were me, I'd pick Mountainview. Does Volcano have a school? I don't know if it does or not, but if it did, it would just barely be in your commute range depending where in Hilo you lived. Heading in the other direction from Hilo is Pepeeko, Honomu and Laupahoehoe. Pauuilo school might possibly be in your commute range and lots of folks say nice things about that school. Honokaa is a small town and they have a large school but Hilo is about fifty five minutes away from there.

Figure the roads as being 45 mph roads. Most of the traffic is for folks going into town in the mornings, if you are living in town and leaving in the mornings, then you'd not be going in the same direction as everyone else. So on a map, any school within 35 miles of where you wanted to live should be within 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island