Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,358 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have been here since April 6, 2009.
So far this place is strange, though, at night when the stars come out, and you can see the moon it's great. Alot warmer than Alaska.

SOLAR ENERGY: Is working! All my electronics are working, except for 1. Which I reread the manual, and I didn't realize it takes 12 hours to charge it from Solar.

Built my bathroom myself on a hill! Not easy, but it is finished! Built a path from the bathroom, down to my house area, which I am working on clearing!

So far, everything is fine! Noone bothers you in HOVE, well not yet! My neighbors are nice, they have 6 dogs which bark which is great, because I have 2 which bark also!

I would not recommend taking 2 large dogs through 4 airports, like I did! And I will never do this again. TSA agents attitudes are crazy, I mean unless your bring a dog weighing around 20 pounds, they are scared!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToKau View Post
So far this place is strange, though, at night when the stars come out, and you can see the moon it's great. Alot warmer than Alaska.

SOLAR ENERGY: Is working! All my electronics are working, except for 1. Which I reread the manual, and I didn't realize it takes 12 hours to charge it from Solar.

Built my bathroom myself on a hill! Not easy, but it is finished! Built a path from the bathroom, down to my house area, which I am working on clearing!

So far, everything is fine! Noone bothers you in HOVE, well not yet! My neighbors are nice, they have 6 dogs which bark which is great, because I have 2 which bark also!

I would not recommend taking 2 large dogs through 4 airports, like I did! And I will never do this again. TSA agents attitudes are crazy, I mean unless your bring a dog weighing around 20 pounds, they are scared!

Glad to see you arrived OK!

Please let us know about having a bathroom, UPHILL, from your bedroom. This scares me at the first thought. I am not sure what to think?

I, and many others, I am sure, would like more details on the travels of the 2 dogs. Please fill us in.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Yay, Kodiak, glad to hear that all made it safely to the Big Island!! What do you mean when you say "so far this place is strange". Is that refering to HOVE or Kau or the Big Island? Are you way at the top of HOVE and completely off the grid? How's the weather been?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 34,163 times
Kodiak, mdand3boys is right... I for one, would love to know how you managed to fly with 2 big dogs. I have one big dog and am having second thoughts regarding moving with him in November. I think I'd miss him too much to leave him behind, however. Also, I think it's so great that you are off the grid! And please fill us in on the rational for having an outdoor toilet uphill from your house, inquiring minds want to know! Congratulations on your successful move to Hawaii!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Kodiak laughing at all the possibilities of Kau being strange ...... brings many things to mind...

The place is kinda magically - errie to me.... much history.....

I have a friend - some stories camping - that isn't into supernatural - yep some stories....

let us know how the dog flight went?

aloha! good luck!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,841 times
I have property on Ohia & Bamboo I recently heard that a surfur hole opened up nearby and it is not liveable, it this ture. Can anyone update me on the conditions of the area?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Msking, the "sulfur hole" would be the sulfuric vog blowing over from the volcano. There have been highly elevated sulfur emissions from the volcano which have been blowing all around the islands for the past year or so. It makes breathing very difficult for some folks and is killing vegetation across Ka'u which includes over near HOVE. Whether it is livable or not depends on how susceptible you are to sulfur emissions, some folks are more sensitive to it than others. The vog is like smog, it is a hazy gray cloud which covers the island sometimes. No more crystal clear views, sometimes you can't even see the ocean. Stinky air to breathe and plants dying. It is sometimes really strong and sometimes hardly noticeable.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM

139 posts, read 568,748 times
My dream is to move to hawaii.Living where the air kills plants? Not part of the plan at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
Quote:

Ummm, bathroom uphill from the house? Should be downhill. Everyone considering building an outhouse, or even a septic system, and defenitly hikers/backpackers should read "How to Sh*t in the Woods" by Kathleen Meyer. See Kathleen Meyer Bestselling Author . Synopsis is at Book Synopsis: How to **** in the Woods .

Mickey

Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:

And I'm sure your house and septic facilites meet code requirements...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island