Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 44,635 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what sort of activity-levels exist at the King Kam Hotel Mall, by the Kailua Pier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,370,395 times
Not sure what you mean. Are you worried about noise or wonder what attractions are nearby? There are groups of paddlers that practice or race several days a week, shops and restaurants aplenty within a few minutes' walk. The hotel itself underwent a major renovation last year and has beautiful rooms and what I think is an excellent and friendly staff. The hotel has a couple of restaurants, a poolside bar where you can get a snack type meal, and various shops in it's mall.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Not sure what you mean. Are you worried about noise or wonder what attractions are nearby? There are groups of paddlers that practice or race several days a week, shops and restaurants aplenty within a few minutes' walk. The hotel itself underwent a major renovation last year and has beautiful rooms and what I think is an excellent and friendly staff. The hotel has a couple of restaurants, a poolside bar where you can get a snack type meal, and various shops in it's mall.
Are there lots of customers in the mall? We are considering opening a shop there, but before we check it out, I would like some advance info.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
You need to come over and do your homework based on the type of business you want to open. See whats there and whats making money and find out what has been there and didn;t make it. I know people who want to move to some Pacific island to start a business because they didn;t see many of those types when they were there. You have to ask why they are not there. I don't remember ever seeing a store selling clown outfits and circus items, but that don;t mean people will be flocking to it just because its there. The business has to be one that will support the business. Also there can be too many of the same thing and after awile, none are making any real money.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You need to come over and do your homework based on the type of business you want to open. See whats there and whats making money and find out what has been there and didn;t make it. I know people who want to move to some Pacific island to start a business because they didn;t see many of those types when they were there. You have to ask why they are not there. I don't remember ever seeing a store selling clown outfits and circus items, but that don;t mean people will be flocking to it just because its there. The business has to be one that will support the business. Also there can be too many of the same thing and after awile, none are making any real money.
Any answer to my question as asked.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,079 times
We stayed at the King Kam this past July. It was pretty quiet in the hotel. The rooms are better than before the reno apparently and it's generally on it's way to getting gussied up. It was fairly quiet on the main level (shops) area where the most activity seemed to be the ABC store facing the street side since it was highly visible, but only a few blocks down was another ABC store over by the Kona Inn.
The Kona INN shops are waaay busier than anything over at the King Kam since the King Kam is kinda on the edge of the touristy strip backing up into Old Kona Airport Park.
Kailua Pier businesses are Kona Boys shack and the like, for kayaks, surfboards, etc.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
Are you talking the King Kam MALL or the King Kam SHOPPING CENTER? The Mall is outside the hotel the Shopping Center is in the hotel. Two seperate places with different activity. The quality of answer is based on the quality of question.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
We stayed at the King Kam this past July. It was pretty quiet in the hotel. The rooms are better than before the reno apparently and it's generally on it's way to getting gussied up. It was fairly quiet on the main level (shops) area where the most activity seemed to be the ABC store facing the street side since it was highly visible, but only a few blocks down was another ABC store over by the Kona Inn.
The Kona INN shops are waaay busier than anything over at the King Kam since the King Kam is kinda on the edge of the touristy strip backing up into Old Kona Airport Park.
Kailua Pier businesses are Kona Boys shack and the like, for kayaks, surfboards, etc.
Thanks for the info. I spoke with a guy who runs a glass-bottom boat biz, and he tells me that since the cruise ships started doing 14 day, instead of 15-day trips, that Kona side is pretty slow.

I'll check LoopNet to see if there any openings at Kona Inn Shops.

Mahalo

Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Are you talking the King Kam MALL or the King Kam SHOPPING CENTER? The Mall is outside the hotel the Shopping Center is in the hotel. Two seperate places with different activity. The quality of answer is based on the quality of question.
Never Mind.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
It also partly depends on what your offering is and who your target audience is for your biz. Agreed that Kona Inn mall gets far more foot traffic from tourists. Shops that seem to be doing fairly well there sell Kona coffee, beach wear and touristy stuff, souvenirs and decor items, cosmetics, and ukuleles. But "fairly well" is relative, compared to the last few years. Everyone complains about how lousy business is.

And the big mall where Target is gets a lot more traffic from locals, looking for more mainstream, day-to-day stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island