Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times

Advertisements

Spam musubi at many counters near the cash register. (not that I eat it, but lots of people love it!)

Spam/eggs/rice at McDonald's, Denny's, nearly anywhere whether it is a local restaurant or "national" chain.

People that quickly bypass your outstretched hand and give you a hug and a kiss hello. (and this is the first time you've met them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
"Where the heck is the (insert product name here) in this store? There was a whole shelf of it last week, but now I don't see it at all!"

Welcome to the end of the longest everyday supply chain on earth. On the mainland, retailers can restock quickly when they run out of things, because they have nearby distribution centers and wholesalers who can send out a truck tomorrow. But here it's often a 3 or 4 week cycle between order and delivery due to the long haul shipping involved.

And because the locals know this, when something hard to find shows up, they tend to load up, thereby creating runs on things. The rule of thumb here is "If you see something you want, get it now, because they'll be out of it tomorrow."

Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM

What the heck? You mean there's no (fill in the blank) on the Big Island?

Olive Garden? Nope

Whole Foods? Nope

Chili's? Nope

Outback Steakhouse? No, mate.

Roy's Hawaiian? No, darn it!

Benihana? Sorry, no.

Krispy Kreme? Nuh uh

Baskin-Robbins You're in luck. There's one in Shopping Center Row in Hilo. Also has Dunkin Donuts

Ben & Jerry? No scoops for youse

Pinkberry? Not even

IHOP? One. Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo. Roy's Pancake House on Kamehameha is better, legendary even, and is open 24/7

Barnes & Noble? Nope

Borders? Had one in Hilo. It closed. The one in Kona is still open.

Walgreens? There's one going in where the Hilo Borders was. Just look for the union picket signs

Petco? There's one, in Kona

Sports Authority? There's one, in Kona

Costco? There's one, in Kona

Target? There's one, in Kona

Kohls? Nope, not even in Kona

Marshalls?/TJMaxx? Nope/Nope

Hobby Lobby? Ummm, no

Montgomery Wards? Stop kidding around

Look, the total population of the Big Island is only about 175,000 and it is spread out over 4,000 square miles. The two largest population centers are Hilo, with about 40,000 residents, and Kailua (Kona) with about 10,000, although the combined West Coast population is larger and richer than Hilo. Think "small town America." But that's part of its charm.

Last edited by OpenD; 01-13-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
People that quickly bypass your outstretched hand and give you a hug and a kiss hello. (and this is the first time you've met them)
I vacationed in Oahu and went to a church that Sunday in Kailua that a friend and his wife recommended. They lived there for several years before returning to CA. The pastor asked if there were any guests that day and I raised my hand, told them where I was from and who recommended I stop there while on vacation. They were all "You're so and so's friend?!". After the service they all came over and hugged me (and all the little grannies gave me a kiss on the cheek) and at least a half dozen invited me to go to lunch with them plus offered to take me places only a local would know about the remainder of my week there.

I'd never been hugged and kissed so much by strangers in my life.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What the heck? You mean there's no (fill in the blank) on the Big Island?

Olive Garden? Nope

Whole Foods? Nope

Chili's? Nope

Outback Steakhouse? No, mate.

Roy's Hawaiian? No, darn it!

Benihana? Sorry, no.

Krispy Kreme? Nuh uh

Baskin-Robbins You're in luck. There's one in Shopping Center Row in Hilo. Also has Dunkin Donuts

Ben & Jerry? No scoops for youse

Pinkberry? Not even

IHOP? One. Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo. Roy's Pancake House on Kamehameha is better, legendary even, and is open 24/7

Barnes & Noble? Nope

Borders? Had one in Hilo. It closed. The one in Kona is still open.

Walgreens? There's one going in where the Hilo Borders was. Just look for the union picket signs

Petco? There's one, in Kona

Sports Authority? There's one, in Kona

Costco? There's one, in Kona

Target? There's one, in Kona

Kohls? Nope, not even in Kona

Marshalls?/TJMaxx? Nope/Nope

Hobby Lobby? Ummm, no

Montgomery Wards? Stop kidding around

Look, the total population of the Big Island is only about 175,000 and it is spread out over 4,000 square miles. The two largest population centers are Hilo, with about 40,000 residents, and Kailua (Kona) with about 10,000, although the combined West Coast population is larger and richer than Hilo. Think "small town America." But that's part of its charm.
There is a Roy's in the Waikoloa King's Shops, and an Outback Steakhouse in Coconut Creek. My wife likes Roy's but we are glad there are no chains the visiting ohana will undoubtedly request...it's much more interesting to go someplace you can't on the mainland.

Border's is having cash flow issues; expect them to close their doors nationally in 3-6 months.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There is a Roy's in the Waikoloa King's Shops, and an Outback Steakhouse in Coconut Creek. My wife likes Roy's but we are glad there are no chains the visiting ohana will undoubtedly request...it's much more interesting to go someplace you can't on the mainland.
Mahalo nui loa for the corrections. I guess I should get over to the dry side more often.

But I have an addition:

Staples? Not that easy

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Mahalo nui loa for the corrections. I guess I should get over to the dry side more often.

But I have an addition:

Staples? Not that easy

LOL!

That "easy" button is a litttttttle bit of a stretch!

One more:

Applebee's. Not eatin' good in any Hawai'i neighborhood.

I would rather eat from a dumpster than eat at a Chili's, Applebee's, etc.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Not to mention:

Guitar Center? No strings attached here

Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Here's one and I cheated by looking it up:

KFC. "There's fast food, but there's no KFC"

Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Here's one and I cheated by looking it up:

KFC. "There's fast food, but there's no KFC"
There's a KFC right by Home Depot in Hilo...and another one almost ready to open in Pahoa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island