U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,707 posts, read 3,821,351 times
Reputation: 915
Coqui frogs and hungry cats? Humm
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Volcano
10,895 posts, read 8,242,279 times
Reputation: 8513
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Have you seen those "bark off" commercials? You plug them in and they are supposed to stop dogs from barking? Maybe they need to develop a "croak off".
I don't think they make the bark off collars that small. Besides, they are devilishly hard to see, hence the problem. And cats don't seem to like the taste.

So the accepted methods of dealing with them are bamboo traps which resemble their favorite nesting places and/or spraying down the area they are in with Vitamin C, mineral lime, or baking soda, all of which mess up the pH of the frogs and their prolific eggs so they croak. Or stop croaking, whichever way you want to look at it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
 
5,555 posts, read 7,475,051 times
Reputation: 5529
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't think they make the bark off collars that small. Besides, they are devilishly hard to see, hence the problem. And cats don't seem to like the taste.

So the accepted methods of dealing with them are bamboo traps which resemble their favorite nesting places and/or spraying down the area they are in with Vitamin C, mineral lime, or baking soda, all of which mess up the pH of the frogs and their prolific eggs so they croak. Or stop croaking, whichever way you want to look at it.
The bark-off device is something you just plug into a wall... I think it works by emitting some kind of high-pitched sound that dogs can hear but humans can't. So if you have a neighbor with a noisy dog that barks all night, in theory you're supposed to be able to plug this thing in your house and it's supposed to keep the neighbor's dog quiet. I don't know anyone who has actually tried this though... so I don't know if it really works...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Volcano
10,895 posts, read 8,242,279 times
Reputation: 8513
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The bark-off device is something you just plug into a wall... I think it works by emitting some kind of high-pitched sound that dogs can hear but humans can't. So if you have a neighbor with a noisy dog that barks all night, in theory you're supposed to be able to plug this thing in your house and it's supposed to keep the neighbor's dog quiet. I don't know anyone who has actually tried this though... so I don't know if it really works...
Oh, like those totally useless ultrasonic mosquito and rodent repellents? Good luck with that.

Trust me, nothing works to keep the neighbor's dog quiet. And if anyone had discovered ANYTHING that kept coquis quiet, we'd all know about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Hawaii The Big Island
501 posts, read 420,119 times
Reputation: 251
Default Cats are best to catch mice and rats

But do not leave more trash around than you are willing to feed / attract mice and rats.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Volcano
10,895 posts, read 8,242,279 times
Reputation: 8513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
But do not leave more trash around than you are willing to feed / attract mice and rats.
And make sure you keep your water tank well covered and the pining into the house well sealed. Rodents are drawn to water tanks and systems.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Hawaii The Big Island
501 posts, read 420,119 times
Reputation: 251
Default Catchment Tank - Removing Sediment

Does anyone know of a truly effective way to remove the sediment on the bottom of a catchment tank without too much lose of water aside from having to stick a long pole and vacuum head attached to a pool hose and pump out the sediment ? There must be this real ideal way of doing it that I have missed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Hawaii The Big Island
501 posts, read 420,119 times
Reputation: 251
Default People that do not like coqui frogs have an option

They can brick up all their windows or better yet, cinderblock them - real good. Well actually, I dont mind them. It is better than the city sounds I remember groaning up in Lost Angeles.
Attached Thumbnails
Fern Forest-tent-spencer-park.jpg  
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Hawaii The Big Island
501 posts, read 420,119 times
Reputation: 251
Default One more idea how to Curb your Coqui Frog Problem

Get ya sum healthy chickens that also like to sit in tree branches. You be suprised how much chickens like little slick coquis..And chickens will hawk & eat all kinds of insects. I've even seen them catch mice. They love to scratch for grubs and worms. They're a great help to the pest control of a garden as long as you watch them carefully. They will ruin a delicate bed of greens in 60 seconds with their scratching.
Attached Thumbnails
Fern Forest-chicken-proud.jpg  
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Hawaii The Big Island
501 posts, read 420,119 times
Reputation: 251
Default Turkeys on Big Island

I am looking to buy baby Turkeys, pults, as they are called. Seems like chickens are all that the State allows to be shipped over here. I hear that Turkeys are more friendlier than chickens. More meat too.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top