Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,572,529 times

Advertisements

We will be off-island June, July and August and rather than let our house sit empty I'm thinking of getting someone to house-sit for us. Has anyone on the forum hired a house-sitter? Good experience? How do you advertise other than Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,261,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We will be off-island June, July and August and rather than let our house sit empty I'm thinking of getting someone to house-sit for us. Has anyone on the forum hired a house-sitter? Good experience? How do you advertise other than Craigslist?
You don't mention the area you're in, but in my part of the BI there are several people who do regular house-sitting, and they're known in the community and advertise using the various bulletin boards in the area. Ask around. In particular, consider if there is someone you already know who might be a good candidate. Over the years I've done several bouts of housesitting for friends, always at their request, primarily because they had pets and/or garden they wanted taken care of. Or expensive toys.

I recommend that before engaging a stranger you demand references and check them thoroughly, and run a credit check on the person. And make sure your homeowner's insurance policy covers you in the event of something untoward happening while you're gone.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM

42 posts, read 130,780 times
What island are you located on? I actually just made a post a few days ago inquiring about something like this. My husband lives on the island and is a licensed plumber, landscaper and great with fixing anything. Let me know of the location.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM

11,047 posts, read 23,860,003 times
We always have friends or family house sit for us. Once we had some friends of friends house sit and it wasn't so good.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 AM

We are on the south end of the Big Island. Very rural area.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

70 posts, read 177,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You don't mention the area you're in, but in my part of the BI there are several people who do regular house-sitting, and they're known in the community and advertise using the various bulletin boards in the area. Ask around. In particular, consider if there is someone you already know who might be a good candidate. Over the years I've done several bouts of housesitting for friends, always at their request, primarily because they had pets and/or garden they wanted taken care of. Or expensive toys.

I recommend that before engaging a stranger you demand references and check them thoroughly, and run a credit check on the person. And make sure your homeowner's insurance policy covers you in the event of something untoward happening while you're gone.
True that. One can never be too careful. Besides, there is nothing wrong if you would go an extra mile to check on the person you are planning to hire to look after your house. Just be extra cautious. Right, ask for references, and also best to let the local homeowner's association know you will be away. It helps to have a peace of mind.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM

thanks for your responses, everyone. Someone who lives nearby emailed me privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island