Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times

Advertisements

Grandtigger, at the moment, it's probably less expensive to buy an already built home. There are a lot of them available right now and the prices are low. Relatively speaking, of course. However, should you decide to build, there are a lot of construction workers looking for work so you'd be able to not only get folks to make bids on your project but try to undercut each other as well. Now, designing a home for the sub-tropics is probably not something you're used to, so there's a fairly steep learning curve there, too. However, because Hawaii houses don't have nearly the same complications as mainland houses (HVAC, buried things because of frost heaves, basements, etc.) they can be built fairly inexpensively even though the materials are more expensive here.

When looking for properties, there is a huge difference in climate, even within several miles of each other. Huge differences in rainfall, from ten inches a year in some spots on the island to over a hundred inches average each year on another area of the island. Houses within a subdivision (that word probably doesn't mean what you think it does here) can vary widely from each other as well. There are things such as lava zones to consider, whether the property in question even has soil on it. Frequently, even on the green lush Hilo side of the island, if you look under the leaf litter which has all that lush growth you'll find nothing but rocks. We also have vog and coqui frogs to consider. Add in what you want to be next to, things such as shopping or employment, and that will limit the areas to look at as well.

Rent near your son or have him find a rental big enough for everyone and hang out for half a year and then you'll be able to pick the perfect spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 56,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It all depends... rainwater catchment is quite common on the Island of Hawai'i, or hauled water in a cistern. 10,000 gallon home tanks are not uncommon.

Septic system, a common figure quoted for general budgeting is $5,000. That could be high, could be low, it all depends.

Solar water heaters are now required for all new construction, unless you are in an area that gets less sun and can get a variance approved... it all depends.

Everything is different here. Everything. You won't even know the right questions to ask until you've been here a while. Seriously.
Thanks for the septic cost. I didn't know about the solar water heater requirement. I have added that to my list. I have heard about the catchments (?) I didn't like the idea at first, but maybe that is not such a bad concept for the land.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Regarding water, why are you thinking of drilling a well? Everyone either has county water or is on catchment. I don't think anyone drills a private well because of the extremely high cost to do so. Not only is the lava hard to dig through, but we also have what's called "blue rock", which is just about impossible to dig through. There is another thread that discusses this is more detail; you can do a forum search (I think they were discussing Green Sand Subdivision).

Regarding waste, why are you considering a septic system? The county still allows cesspools, I believe. Much cheaper to install and maintain.
Sorry my preconceived mainland thoughts are showing. I thought a well was the best way to go but I am understanding that a catchment system or hauled water may be more acceptable. I didn't know about the hauled water option. Thanks for the information on the forum search. I am learning so much for everyone, I really appreciate the information!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Cesspools are still allowed on "agricultural-zoned" properties that are larger than an acre.

There are plenty of houses located on "agricultural-zoned" lots on the Big Island. Oftentimes, "agricultural-zoned" lots are on the same street, same block, or even adjacent to "residential-zoned" lots. The "permitted" and "non-permitted" uses, setbacks, etc. differ by zoning classification, so it might be wiser to purchase a property that allows the greatest latitude.

Here are links to the zoning definitions for the Big Island...
http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/maps/zone/Zoning%20Definition.pdf (broken link)

Zone maps...
County of Hawaii: Zone Maps (http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/maps/zone/maps.htm - broken link)

And, "development standards" for each zone...
http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/planning/rules/devstds.pdf (broken link)
Thanks for the web sites. I will do more research.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Like I said. Cesspools are not allowed on residential property. And wells are not allowed within 1,000' of cesspools. Cesspools are just bad news... bad for the environment, bad for water table quality, bad for the aina... if there is one thing that deserves to go the way of the dodo it is cesspools. I don't care if you have 10,000 acres... and the county says OK... there are better ways to go than cesspools.

Septic systems do work if properly configured, even if your perc test flat lines. A better choice ecologically is using composting toilets and greywater dispersal.
I don't know about composting toilets or greywater dispersal but will look them up. I am familiar with greywater but not sure if what I understand in the mainland is different. I am beginning to understand that so many things are different. But I am willing to learn & research. Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Grandtigger, at the moment, it's probably less expensive to buy an already built home. There are a lot of them available right now and the prices are low. Relatively speaking, of course. However, should you decide to build, there are a lot of construction workers looking for work so you'd be able to not only get folks to make bids on your project but try to undercut each other as well. Now, designing a home for the sub-tropics is probably not something you're used to, so there's a fairly steep learning curve there, too. However, because Hawaii houses don't have nearly the same complications as mainland houses (HVAC, buried things because of frost heaves, basements, etc.) they can be built fairly inexpensively even though the materials are more expensive here.

When looking for properties, there is a huge difference in climate, even within several miles of each other. Huge differences in rainfall, from ten inches a year in some spots on the island to over a hundred inches average each year on another area of the island. Houses within a subdivision (that word probably doesn't mean what you think it does here) can vary widely from each other as well. There are things such as lava zones to consider, whether the property in question even has soil on it. Frequently, even on the green lush Hilo side of the island, if you look under the leaf litter which has all that lush growth you'll find nothing but rocks. We also have vog and coqui frogs to consider. Add in what you want to be next to, things such as shopping or employment, and that will limit the areas to look at as well.

Rent near your son or have him find a rental big enough for everyone and hang out for half a year and then you'll be able to pick the perfect spot.
You have given me some really great information and things to think about. I appreciate your guidance. There is so much to consider but I miss my son and his family so much.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
grandtigger - Wells are routinely drilled for residential use - if the resident is within about 350 feet in elevation or less. The Big Island is interesting that water can be had through drilling a well, at any elevation on the island. There is a big problem though. That water is at or very near sea level. That means if you drill a well and are at 1500 feet elevation, you will probably drill a 1500 foot deep well!

If you are close - maybe a few hundred feet or so - from the ocean shore, you will probably have a brackish, salty water in your well. Get further away from the ocean - but still at a low elevation, and you get much better water quality.

The costs for drilling a well are about 3x what the mainland costs average, by the foot! This is because of the slow and difficult process in drilling through the lava rock, the costs of the well casing and the high price of fuel for the drilling rig.

This means that unless you have an astronomical budget, you either build where you have access to the County water system, you have catchment installed, or you have water hauled in and they dump it in your catchment tank. (There are also a few subdivisions with private water systems.)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,301,691 times
Aloha grandtigger,

You mentioned that your son is in Hilo...are you planning a move to the South Hilo district or to the Puna district? I didn't see any mention in the discussion above that county water is an option (both in South Hilo and in Puna, in some areas). Are you looking to be more off-grid?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
grandtigger - Wells are routinely drilled for residential use - if the resident is within about 350 feet in elevation or less. The Big Island is interesting that water can be had through drilling a well, at any elevation on the island. There is a big problem though. That water is at or very near sea level. That means if you drill a well and are at 1500 feet elevation, you will probably drill a 1500 foot deep well!

If you are close - maybe a few hundred feet or so - from the ocean shore, you will probably have a brackish, salty water in your well. Get further away from the ocean - but still at a low elevation, and you get much better water quality.

The costs for drilling a well are about 3x what the mainland costs average, by the foot! This is because of the slow and difficult process in drilling through the lava rock, the costs of the well casing and the high price of fuel for the drilling rig.

This means that unless you have an astronomical budget, you either build where you have access to the County water system, you have catchment installed, or you have water hauled in and they dump it in your catchment tank. (There are also a few subdivisions with private water systems.)
Oh my didn't realize how deep the well would have to be. You mentioned having water hauled in - about how expensive is that & is this potable? Do most people have water coolers for drinking water? Is this expensive, too? Thanks so much for the information

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Aloha grandtigger,

You mentioned that your son is in Hilo...are you planning a move to the South Hilo district or to the Puna district? I didn't see any mention in the discussion above that county water is an option (both in South Hilo and in Puna, in some areas). Are you looking to be more off-grid?
Actually county water would be great, just wasn't sure it would be an option. He is looking in the South Hilo district. Not so much wanting to be off the grid, but need to have something affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: