U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

11,721 posts, read 17,367,374 times
Default Mosquitos & Hilo & Rain

I visited HILO...and I don't recall many mosquitos.

I do remember a lot of rain though...and I remember an almost spiritual quality to the city in some way...that I can't quite explain.

What I don't recall is mosquitos. Don't mosquitos and rain go somewhat hand in hand? Or is Hilo close enough to have an ocean breeze that deters that somewhat?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 119,581 times
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,181,324 times
If you get away from the "city" portion of Hilo and into the neighborhoods, you will have plenty of mosquitoes. Also, areas nearer jungle/rain forest will have a lot more as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM

844 posts, read 2,570,133 times
It really depends on where in Hilo. Places on the ocean or open to seabreezes without too many trees usually have few mosquitoes. Homes in or adjacent to overgrown/jungle areas have many more.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 07-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: md&3 beat me to the punch

Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,724,492 times
OK ... I'll bite (so to speak) ... I have lived in 9 states (including Minnesota, Michigan, Maine, Washington, California, Hawaii -- more), camped and hiked in 47, as well as most all Canadian provinces from B.C. to Nova Scotia, lived in S.E. Asia and did a war in the jungles there as well as R&R in the Philippines ...

Without question, one of the worst attacks of mosquitoes I have ever experienced was in Hilo ... rivaling one particularly draining night of donation camped at Devil's Lake, N. Dakota, many many days and nights along the Morris River bogs in New Jersey, a near-death experience in the the Ozarks in Arkansas, and the world-phenomenal mosquito air force mega-bases of the bogs and lakes of Minnesota and Maine.

All that said above, however, I will qualify: I rarely find mosquitoes an overwhelming problem anywhere in Hawaii, including Hilo ... anywhere with open space and a breeze is usually relatively safe and often completely free of the buggers -- including in Hilo. The infamous and life-traumatic experience cited occurred when I [foolishly] ventured at dusk into a lovely, but thickly jungled arboretum grove of flowered vegetation that thrived in a sheltered mini-valley along a shallow and very slow moving stream. What a set-up for a fool. You'd think a combat vet would know better than to walk into a trap like that

Yes, 'they' are there ... Yes! they vant urr bloood! ... but no, you don't need silver bullets nor wooden stakes to wander the streets of Hilo ... common sense will do ... stay out of the captive, sheltered, wet jungle areas at dawn and dusk.

Aloha

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM

64 posts, read 119,581 times
Ha ha You paint a perfect picture. I appreciate the answer.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,151,949 times
On my first two visits to Hilo (2001 and 2002), the mosquitoes were really bad anywhere there was tree cover. I made sure to always apply a layer of insect repellant on top of my layer of sunscreen. On my most recent visit, though (last August), I encountered very few of the buggahs. Some people said it was due to the drought, and others said it was due to people being more conscious about not leaving containers with open water sitting out where mosquitoes can breed. On my first visit, there was a dengue fever scare, and the public was being educated about how to keep the mosquito population down. It turned out to be a few cases on Maui, and of the "bad case of the flu" type of dengue, rather than the potentially deadly type. Anyway, I don't recall applying insect repellant on my last visit, and I didn't get bitten.

On a side note, here in the Portland area, we have very few mosquitoes, except near standing water. But my wife and I went camping in Gifford Pinchot Forest near Mt. St. Helens a couple summers ago, and the mosquito population was horrendous, as was the deer fly population. Before we left, though, someone I met in line while buying insect repellant told me to use original-formula (gold-colored) Listerine, applied with a spray bottle. Someone had told him about it, and he tried it in the jungles of Honduras, with good results. So we used a combination of natural herbal insect repellant (no Deet) and Listerine. Although the skeeters and flies swarmed around us annoyingly, neither my wife nor I got a single bite during the entire week we were there. Our fellow campers got chewed alive, until they stopped teasing us about the Listerine and tried it themselves. (In the interest of full disclosure, we used the cheaper generic Western Family brand mouthwash, not Listerine.)

Last edited by HonuMan; 07-12-2011 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM

215 posts, read 314,986 times
we've been in drought this summer (BAD) and mosquitoes in Brazoria County, Texas are like unreal (salt grass, gulf of mexico, intracoastal canal, and bayous!) BUT - this year - NO mosquitoes. i've seen them on me two or three times tops, and I am out right at dawn AND dusk (walking the dog before and after work). so in my opinion (based on our drought in texas) or should I say my hypothesis is no rain = fewer mosquitoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island