Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 AM

152 posts, read 115,872 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea what the Mosquito situation is on the BI - especially in the Kona and Kohala areas, and Waimea

Thanks,

MahiAhaOno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,161,734 times
This year haven't seen one and I am in the jungle south of Hilo. I have only been over there a couple of weeks but it is dry dry dry. Only half Waimea area is somewhat green kinda. Being Jungle area normally have them this time of year haven't had any. Drought for all the island. Hardly coquis.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Kona - rather limited due to heat and dry weather
Kohala - rather limited due to heat and dry weather
Waimea - dry side - much less due to lack of water and colder temps
- wet side - a few more than dry side due to water

In any area - if they are getting rain, you get mosquitoes. We have spent quite some time in the Waikoloa resort areas and never even saw one. Still, it can vary with the rain.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

152 posts, read 115,872 times
Thanks to all for your informative replies. Much appreciated.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,572,847 times
My wife got carried away from a small pack of them yesterday in Hilo !

Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
My wife got carried away from a small pack of them yesterday in Hilo !
Hope you got her back. Sometimes they can carry people a long way.

I used to scoff at people that claimed they didn't notice the mosquitoes. When we first moved here, I would get almost immediate reactions at the bite zone. Now, I don't get any swelling or redness when bit. Still pi55es me off when they get me, but no reaction to the bite. Maybe you do build up resistance or gain some sort of immunity to them?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Hope you got her back. Sometimes they can carry people a long way.

I used to scoff at people that claimed they didn't notice the mosquitoes. When we first moved here, I would get almost immediate reactions at the bite zone. Now, I don't get any swelling or redness when bit. Still pi55es me off when they get me, but no reaction to the bite. Maybe you do build up resistance or gain some sort of immunity to them?
I can't find her she dropped her cell phone and I'm still in NY

Have you become immune or somewhat to the bites?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM

227 posts, read 914,510 times
Koakine,

Over here on Kauai there are tons of the little insect vampires. For the first 3 months that we lived here we where scratching our legs all the time. They say it takes 3-6 months to build up an amunity to them. For me it was 4 months, older daughter took 3 and my little one had it the worst it was 6 months and for a year she had these white spots on her legs. I think they still bite you but you no longer get a reaction.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
Koakine,

Over here on Kauai there are tons of the little insect vampires. For the first 3 months that we lived here we where scratching our legs all the time. They say it takes 3-6 months to build up an amunity to them. For me it was 4 months, older daughter took 3 and my little one had it the worst it was 6 months and for a year she had these white spots on her legs. I think they still bite you but you no longer get a reaction.
Thanks I herd that you become immune to them Ive been In NY for 6 years and I'm still getting welts I think its the long oh so very long winters that screw up the process. I can't wait

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
...I can't wait
Now that is a sad testament to New York winters indeed! You can't stand them so much that you would rather endure a constant barrage of blood thirsty mosquitoes instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island