Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times

Advertisements

Thanks Whtviper1! We have been planning to move to Hawai'i for a very long time now. Since I have family on O'ahu, that is more than likely where we will end up. However, with home prices being what they are in the Puna area around Hilo, we have been thinking maybe that too would be an option. We just got back from Kaua'i and loved it there. There was a bit of rain every day, but also some sunshine everyday too. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to afford to live on Kaua'i. I don't mind rain because that is what makes everything green and beautiful. However, I really don't like grey skies ALL day long either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Definitely more sun in Hilo to Oregon according to this.....

Annual Days of Sunshine in Hawaii - Current Results

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM

I just found this online.

Annual days of sunshine
Portland, Oregon - Sunny Days 68 - Partly Sunny Days 74 - Total Days With Sunshine 142
Hilo, Hawai'i - Sunny Days 36 - Partly Sunny Days 132 - Total Days With Sunshine 168

We get a few more days of sunshine where we live in Oregon compared to Portland. So, it sounds like in that one aspect, Hilo will be close to here. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Will have to think about it more.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Thanks whtviper1! I was just on that website!
LOL!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 18,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
What do you mean by dreary? Does that mean it can be dark, cloudy and rainy for days or....?
Yes.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAS2011 View Post
Yes.
I have to disagree with this one. Yes Hilo is wet. I would hardly classify it as dark and dreary. Its not like Alaska where half the town is on prozac and the other half is crazy.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
We travel to Hilo every other week for errands (we live near South Point) and generally the skies are clear when we are there. We've gotten rained on a time or two, but I certainly would not say that Hilo has ever been dark and dreary. The worst area is around the town of Volcano; it's raining every time we go through there.

The thing to worry about in Hilo and Puna is coqui frogs. The noise at night is horrendous. Unfortunately they were not controlled in the beginning, and now the county has given up fighting them.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

521 posts, read 1,150,759 times
Default Oh, there's a ton of Asians on the Big Island too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyandkyr View Post
Hello Everyone. I just found this forum and it seems like a very useful forum.
Now I and my bf live in Midwest but We are thinking about moving to Hawaii, have wedding there and settle down for several years. We both love hot weather, beach, breeze and tropical fruits!
I say Honolulu but He says Hilo. I'm also expecting in next April(first pregnancy) and I was concerned if I would be too isolated( I used to live in New York and I was in shock for a while how Midwest can be so different) in Big Island but after seeing beautiful pictures of Big Island, I think it could be much better than Honolulu.
I just wanted to get general ideas of life in Big Island.
My bf is planning to go to school in Hilo area but where is a good location to live around?(car commute is okay- I heard Hilo is much more commercialized than other areas)
I heard waimea birthing center is much better than the hospital, is that true?
also...well...I guess I just want to know the general ideas as expecting mother and etc...I did hear it's a great place to have a family and raise a child. I'm also Korean and is there asians in Big island as well?
I would appreciate all the answers! Thank you!
I used to live near Hilo, Honomu was its name, a little village near a Sugar Cane Plantation. There's lots of nice suburbs and even rural areas within driving distance of Hilo truly. how about Mountain View? You could even live up near Volcano, which is much cooler in temp.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,142 times
Consider getting a midwife.

; Hello! Thank you for the reply, Actually my dream is to labor my first child with midwife at my house! me and my bf are currently trying to get a house around Puna or Hilo Area, Could you please give me some information about midwives around the area? Thank you!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyandkyr View Post
Consider getting a midwife.

; Hello! Thank you for the reply, Actually my dream is to labor my first child with midwife at my house! me and my bf are currently trying to get a house around Puna or Hilo Area, Could you please give me some information about midwives around the area? Thank you!
Contact Tiffany Edwards Hunt @ Big Island Chronicle online. She lives in Pahoa, gave birth less than a year ago using a midwife/doula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island