U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM

160 posts, read 448,263 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any bee and honey farms around or in between Hilo and Volcano? My hubby and I have moved around a lot and learned a trick long ago. We both suffer from allergies. Usually if you can find a honey farm close enough to the place you will be moving, steady doses of the honey will build up your immunity to the allergens there. I'll look online was well, but if you know of one a name would make it easier. It has to be a bee farm type of deal btw, not like a honey factory
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 PM

29 posts, read 275,325 times
Default I found something about honey

Tomorrow we are going to Costco so I'm cleaning the fridge and cabinets. I came across some honey that we have from here in Kau. There is no number just the name BEE HAPPY HONEY RAW ORGANIC Box 786 Na'alehu, HI 96772. There is no number listed, I checked the yellow pages to see if I could find one for you, but again not listed. We had gotton some more from the farmers market in Na'alehu, but can't find the business card we had from that. It was neat... had two bees facing eachother to make a turtle ... My daughter always takes the cards from the card file. She thinks they are all her "credit cards" If I find the card I will forward the info to you.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 PM

1,375 posts, read 5,916,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
if you can find a honey farm close enough to the place you will be moving, steady doses of the honey will build up your immunity to the allergens there
That's an interesting tip! I'll pass it on to my sister who has terrible allergies.

I also checked on any online info for honey produced in the specific area you mentioned, but didn't find any sites that would be helpful.

However, http://www.volcanoislandhoney.com/ is a site for a company located in Honokaa. Also, take a look at http://www.bigislandbees.com/products.htm.

One article I saw mentioned that there are as many as 6 local commercial producers of honey...you will have no trouble finding it at farmer's markets.

http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com/

http://www.volcanovillage.com/Volcan...per_Center.htm

http://www.bigisland.org/ag-tourism/45/farmers-market

Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM

160 posts, read 448,263 times
Thanks Lambert and cynmkolohe! Honokaa actually isn't too far and I have never seen white honey, so might give that a try! I'm sure I can find some at the farmers market for sure, but I was trying to get a start so this info definitely helps! Thanks to you both!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
That is my friend Leroy's honey company... you can buy the honey in the local grocery store in Na'alehu.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM

3,607 posts, read 4,930,766 times
Yes do try the white honey, it is really good. Hope your allergies are tempered by the local honey. It would be interesting if you would post back after a while to let us know if it worked.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,965,467 times
There's a bee keeper who's usually at the Sunday morning farmer's market at The Cooper Center in Volcano. He has local Puna honey.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,522,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There's a bee keeper who's usually at the Sunday morning farmer's market at The Cooper Center in Volcano. He has local Puna honey.
A lot more honey from multiple vendors at the Maku'u market between Kea'au and Pahoa.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,741,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
My hubby and I have moved around a lot and learned a trick long ago. We both suffer from allergies. Usually if you can find a honey farm close enough to the place you will be moving, steady doses of the honey will build up your immunity to the allergens there.
There is another alternative treatment for allergies using Acupuncture. My brother in law is an Acupuncturist. He has treated many people that had severe allergy problems, including some of my wife's extended family. So I personally know people where Acupuncture cured severe allergy problems. It does not take very many treatments to resolve the allergies problems. I've used Acupuncture myself to eliminate back pain and a bone spur problem on my foot. The only solution offered by the podiatrist for the bone spur was surgery, which sometimes does not work. I avoided surgery by treating the problem with Acupuncture, which is less invasive. Acupuncture is covered by some insurance plans, but not all cover Acupuncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island