Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM

217 posts, read 431,167 times

Advertisements

I got the job in Hilo and will be moving at the end of December to start my job on January 3.

1. Aside from the local newspaper and Craigslist, what would be other good places to buy a used, working, automatic car for as cheap as possible (Ideally under $3,500, but can go up to $5,000)?
2. I read that website about the family that lived in Hilo for two years which was very helpful. Upon reading that they said I wouldn't have to surrender my out of state driver's license (I most likely will have this job until May of 2013), and could still register the car. Is there a lot of red tape at the DMV to do this? That website also said I could get the Hawaiian resident ID.
3. Assuming that my insurance won't transfer over to Hawaii (I'm with Mercury), what car insurance tends to be the cheapest for someone with a clean record for a compact car?
4. I know that Hawaii doesn't have Chase or Bank of America and just a Bank of Hawaii (I think?). Are there any credit unions in Hilo?
5. I searched some posts on this, but there were few responses. What are some gyms in Hilo which have elliptical, arm pulls, and abdominal machines? I already heard about Spencer's, UofH's gym , and Penn's gym. Ideally a gym under $40 a month.

Thanks again everyone with your help. I just have some questions that could help others thinking about relocating to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
1. Someone else may chime in, but I know that there are also used car lots in Hilo. Kama'aina Motors for one. You could do a search on autotrader and see what comes up.
2. I just registered my car, and I don't remember even showing my driver's license. I still have my out-of-state license and it's not an issue. When you do find a car, the licensing process is different here than on the mainland. First (after you get your Hawaii auto insurance) you go to a state inspection station. They will turn you down; you take the form and go to the DMV. DMV will give you your plates, and then you go back to the inspection station who will give you your sticker.
3. We have car insurance through State Farm. I don't know if it's the cheapest, but Jackie at Wayne Yamauchi Agency is sure nice and has been extremely helpful.
4. Yes, there are credit unions in Hilo. We have used the Hawaii County Employee's CU as they are a service center. I bet if you Google "credit unions Hilo", you'll find a bunch.
5. Don't know. Don't use a gym.

p.s., congrats on the new job!

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 11-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added a p.s.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
1. Someone else may chime in, but I know that there are also used car lots in Hilo. Kama'aina Motors for one. You could do a search on autotrader and see what comes up.
2. I just registered my car, and I don't remember even showing my driver's license. I still have my out-of-state license and it's not an issue. When you do find a car, the licensing process is different here than on the mainland. First (after you get your Hawaii auto insurance) you go to a state inspection station. They will turn you down; you take the form and go to the DMV. DMV will give you your plates, and then you go back to the inspection station who will give you your sticker.
3. We have car insurance through State Farm. I don't know if it's the cheapest, but Jackie at Wayne Yamauchi Agency is sure nice and has been extremely helpful.
4. Yes, there are credit unions in Hilo. We have used the Hawaii County Employee's CU as they are a service center. I bet if you Google "credit unions Hilo", you'll find a bunch.
5. Don't know. Don't use a gym.

p.s., congrats on the new job!

Thank you! Very helpful comments!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
We've had GEICO for a few years, $228 for 6 mo. for two drivers. All the new car dealers sell used ones.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
DMV in Hilo doesn't have a lot of red tape. No long lines, either. Nor will they look at your driver's license. Since you're looking at used cars already on the island, they should already be licensed and registered. Providing the car is current on it's license, registration and safety inspection, I think you have ten days to transfer the registration into your name from the time you buy the car. I think it's $5 to do a title and registration transfer.

I can't think of any other gyms than the three you mentioned. There are some County gyms but they are more of a basketball court and tennis court type gyms than the sort with exercise equipment. I think Penn's gym is more of a martial arts place than an exercise equipment sort of place, but I've never been there myself so I could be completely wrong.

There are two public swimming pools in Hilo, if that sort of exercise would be helpful?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
DMV in Hilo doesn't have a lot of red tape. No long lines, either. Nor will they look at your driver's license. Since you're looking at used cars already on the island, they should already be licensed and registered. Providing the car is current on it's license, registration and safety inspection, I think you have ten days to transfer the registration into your name from the time you buy the car. I think it's $5 to do a title and registration transfer.

I can't think of any other gyms than the three you mentioned. There are some County gyms but they are more of a basketball court and tennis court type gyms than the sort with exercise equipment. I think Penn's gym is more of a martial arts place than an exercise equipment sort of place, but I've never been there myself so I could be completely wrong.

There are two public swimming pools in Hilo, if that sort of exercise would be helpful?

Oh didn't know it was that simple with the DMV there. I started looking online at used cars and so far they seem out of my price range.

What you said about the gyms is helpful. I figured that there was really only those 3. I'm not really a swimmer for exercise. It looks like Spencer's might be what I end up using by default.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM

Finding a used car shouldn't be a problem, they are around. I'm not sure exactly where they would be in Hilo, but frequently folks who want to sell cars inexpensively have a place they are parked. Usually a corner of the road somewhere although a few years back they did start chasing cars for sale out of some of the downtown parking lots.

Sometimes the really inexpensive cars are sold without advertising. What sort of car are you looking for?

Can you find housing close enough to work that you'd be able to ride a bicycle or moped around? save $$$ that way.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Finding a used car shouldn't be a problem, they are around. I'm not sure exactly where they would be in Hilo, but frequently folks who want to sell cars inexpensively have a place they are parked. Usually a corner of the road somewhere although a few years back they did start chasing cars for sale out of some of the downtown parking lots.

Sometimes the really inexpensive cars are sold without advertising. What sort of car are you looking for?

Can you find housing close enough to work that you'd be able to ride a bicycle or moped around? save $$$ that way.
I looked online at used car places and they are way out of my price range for cars on Hawaii. I would rather also pay in full rather than have to pay checks per month to the dealer or bank. I'm just looking for a basic car that is automatic, won't need to be in and out of the shop, gets good mileage, and can last me roughly 2 years. I tried to find old Hondas or Toyotas, but the ones in decent condition were out of my price range.

I really don't want to have to rely on a bike or moped to get me to and from work. I know it rains on and off, I will probably have to transport with me almost everyday stuff back and forth from work, and just feel more secure knowing I have a car. I also will be starting the day early and don't want to arrive at work sweaty. I love the idea of biking around town to do things within a couple of miles away, but again I would rather rely on a car than a bike. I probably will be in Kona 2x a month too so again need a car. I can always rent a car, but I would only do that if a bike could get me through the week.

I think what I might end up doing is buying a car on Oahu since they tend to be cheaper there and then just pay the shipping. Seems a lot more reasonable than I thought. I know for me to ship my car each way from CA to Hawaii would be $1,072.

Last edited by MMoon17; 11-19-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM

I'll ask if there's any cars at the moment, but I think the only thing they're working on at the moment is a white pickup truck. Hmm, there might be a Subaru or something, I saw a non-pickup truck there last week. I don't keep close track on what they are working on. When did you need it? Sometime around Christmas?

I know a lot of folks in the various automotive businesses - shops, tires, towing, etc., and they see cars as a commodity instead of transportation. They get them, fix them and send them on. Eclectic bunch of cars, too. Anything from newish Mercedes to old Dodge Darts, it all depends on what shows up at their door and they deem worth fixing. They are usually at the lower end of the value scale, too. They generally start out around $500 and go up to about $3000 or so. The repair can be anything from a general tune up to a new engine or transmission, but the cars work well by the time the guys are done with 'em.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
You can try Big Island car sales and Credit Cars Hawaii along with craigs list. Whats the truck Hotzcatz? Looking for a good soild 4 x 4 to get dog in back of truck. MMoon17 if I find a truck worth buying I might be selling my CRV- maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island