Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM

281 posts, read 256,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You have a habit of speciousness, don't you? Simplistic lifestyles, minimalist living, are / is not limited to tee-pee's, caves, yurts, or tents ... and I never said those were a requirement of belonging to a class of citizens concerned to have a light-as-possible footprint on the environment and as simplistic a lifestyle as possible either. I have included those options because, for a sizable number of free citizens, those are appealing choices. You choose to speciously seize on them in an attempt to ridicule me, and persons like me, because you assume others generally agree with your tastes -- or lack thereof -- and that you speak for enlightened mankind. You don't.

I see moving forward as being intelligent enough and personally committed and disciplined enough to know when we are engaging in self-destructive paths and patterns that need to be re-examined in light of history and science both. Apparently, you do not fall into such category of thinking.

I see: it is "kooky" to recognize the toxic nature of where our traditions have brought us? You might consider reading research on how many modern building mandates that have been brought to code requirements are having to be overturned because our new houses are rotting and causing illnesses -- particularly respiratory distress -- because they (the houses) literally can't breathe. You might also consider reading the research analysis widely available on how much of the earth's resources are consumed by Americans relative to other peoples around the globe -- and the projections for availability of those resources and energies at the present rates of consumption by the U.S. alone -- and at the rate of projected demand by the developing world desirous to follow the American path as marketed by -- well, people like you.

But then, obviously, you don't care regardless, so why bother reading and learning? Right?
I have wasted far too much effort and time on you already. Your "the sky will fall if you live like regular people in regular houses" ranting is growing very thin, It is inane, moronic, fictional and pathetic and worse.

Your imagination has gotten the best of you, as well as the middling and other parts too. You see, smell or taste, boogie-chemicals at every turns.

There isn't one person in a thousand that agrees with you, thinks what you say is wise, or cogent, or even rational. I can squander no more time entertaining the V.I., so I bid you farewell.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
"Moving Forward" has brought us exactly what? Civilization has been on a down hill slide since the advent of agriculture, and its attend priest class, governing class, and armed forces.

A better case for building homes out of nonflammables can be made than a case for sprinklers. If it cannot burn, no need for sprinklers.

22 horses were just burned to death in a wooden barn in New Jersey. Nearly a whole family was burned to death in a wooden house in Connecticut on Christmas day.

These deaths are far too common, and completely unnecessary. Steel barns and houses make sense, steel and masonry barns and houses make sense. Wooden barns and houses do not.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
I have wasted far too much effort and time on you already. Your "the sky will fall if you live like regular people in regular houses" ranting is growing very thin, It is inane, moronic, fictional and pathetic and worse.

Your imagination has gotten the best of you, as well as the middling and other parts too. You see, smell or taste, boogie-chemicals at every turns.

There isn't one person in a thousand that agrees with you, thinks what you say is wise, or cogent, or even rational. I can squander no more time entertaining the V.I., so I bid you farewell.
It makes no difference how many people believe in certain facts, that does not change the facts.

The planet we live on will correct all our errors, but we may not like the results.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Excellent post. I made the same post on a thread about some ex-con who wanted to come to HI on a shoestring with his "girlfriend". HI should be doing all in its power to dissuade such dead-enders and encourage people of means and substance that will help grow the state (the economy).

For some reason, wanna-be peasants are attracted to the BI to inflict their "ride-a-burro, live in a tee-pe"e lifestyle on the rest of society.
If they aren't physically hurting you, they're not imposing anything on you. Ignore them and live a ridiculously wasteful lifestyle.

That money you're so concerned with is nothing more than rectangles of paper soaked in ink. It has no actual value.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I dont understand why people feel they SHOULD be allowed to build unpermitted when they come to Hawaii? The rules are to have a permit and coming into someone elses place of living and deciding you don;t want top play by the rules is down right unneighborly.
Why should a person need permission from anyone to build their own home?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well - when things are completely left unchecked you get those things like the Chicago Fire (building codes tend to now prohibit mass wooden structures close together in a city) or the aftermath from Hurricane Andrew, and the 1906 SF earthquake.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Permitting insures that structures are safe, habitable, meet certain requirements etc., It is not new.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:

"wasted far too much effort and time", huh Boy you really know how to hurt a guy. I'm sure you have much better things to do with your superior self ... so I wonder why you hang out on an anonymous forum? I do it for the entertainment. I find you amusing. As you can read, there are numerous people who agree with me posting right here on this thread -- to say nothing of the DM's and rep points that have just come my way. So I guess the "There isn't one person in a thousand that agrees with you, thinks what you say is wise, or cogent, or even rational" thang ain't working for you either is it?

I know you are reading this, so here's a last insight: if you were to meet me on the street you would hardly notice me, I am so nondescript, neat, clean, orderly, short hair, healthy ... no long hair, beard, tie-dyed shirts, sandals, no VW bus painted with flowers, sporting plastic dinosaur toys glued on the nose, no beanie hat with propeller, ... no empty hat held out for spare change, no monkey or parrot on my shoulder, no snotty bare-bottomed kids hanging around my knees ...

And there are millions and millions and millions of Americans like me ... some of them posting right here on this board ... some of us (lots of us) with gobs of money, and at least as much if not considerably more education than you, and vastly greater life experience.

We are the irrational? Okie-dokey.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It makes no difference how many people believe in certain facts, that does not change the facts.

The planet we live on will correct all our errors, but we may not like the results.
The planet doesn't even know we are here. Wait until a piece of space-rubble the size of the Big Island hits earth. Then, you'll have a problem worth worrying about.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
The planet doesn't even know we are here. Wait until a piece of space-rubble the size of the Big Island hits earth. Then, you'll have a problem worth worrying about.
He never said the planet knows or cares ... he said: eventually the planet will correct our stupid self-destructive behaviors -- you know, the ones that some arrogant, short-sighted people *hint hint* like to pretend they are above consequence of -- ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: