Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,225 times

Advertisements

Excellent post. ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtraveler View Post
All over the island.

In puna (fern acres )
Volcano (camping 2 wks)
Waiamaea
Laupahoehoe
Kailua-kona
Hilo

We also camped at pretty much every state park even the ones people say are locals only. Lol
Although I've heard of Waimea, where is "Waiamaea?"

Quote:
AT&T sucks all over the big island. Lol this was a big deal for me as I had purchased new iPhones that we're useless outside of Hilo and Kailua. Go sprint or Verizon.
Strange, my AT&T iPhone works fine almost everywhere on the Big Island, except for a few parts of certain subdivisions in Puna.
AT&T Coverage Viewer

Unfortunately, Sprint and Verizon cell phones don't work too well in my neck of the woods.
Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless
Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 25,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post
talk to me about Fern Acres
I loved it. Pitch black at night, wild pigs crossing the roads, very very private..
Land is very cheap there right now. Lots of unpermitted buildings. I felt very safe there overall.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Although I've heard of Waimea, where is "Waiamaea?"

Strange, my AT&T iPhone works fine almost everywhere on the Big Island, except for a few parts of certain subdivisions in Puna.
AT&T Coverage Viewer

Unfortunately, Sprint and Verizon cell phones don't work too well in my neck of the woods.
Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless
Sprint - Nationwide Coverage
Sorry for misspellings and poor grammar. I'm typing on a mobile device.

Glad your att works well. That definitely was not my experience. When sitting in the vz store in hilo getting new service.... A lot of other folks had similar experiences. But ah well

Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Also its important to note that those coverage maps I dont feel are too reliable in Hawaii. Lol. Even the providers themselves suggest trying if out or asking a friend or neighbor.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM

97 posts, read 279,192 times
FWIW: Tracfone seems to have the island covered pretty well. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
I loved it. Pitch black at night, wild pigs crossing the roads, very very private..
Land is very cheap there right now. Lots of unpermitted buildings. I felt very safe there overall.
You didn't mention the roar of the coqui frogs, the yapping of the pit bulls, and the 5am howl of the ****-fighting roosters.

Or the smell of the meth labs.

But yeah, you can see the Milky Way at night when it isn't overcast.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM

219 posts, read 497,051 times
What was Laupahoehoe like? That coastal area in general?

When buying the local ride, did you find it by word of mouth or Craigslist? I've been trying to line something up online before I arrive and get no response or call back once I state I arrive on March 1st. I watch the ads but have stopped trying to contact anyone until I'm there.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
What was Laupahoehoe like? That coastal area in general?

When buying the local ride, did you find it by word of mouth or Craigslist? I've been trying to line something up online before I arrive and get no response or call back once I state I arrive on March 1st. I watch the ads but have stopped trying to contact anyone until I'm there.
Don't feel bad. Hawaii residents have an issue with calling any phone number that is longer than 7 digits. I am not kidding...

Get your cell phone number changed now to a local (Hawaii Island) 808 area code number. It makes all the difference in the world.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You didn't mention the roar of the coqui frogs, the yapping of the pit bulls, and the 5am howl of the ****-fighting roosters.

Or the smell of the meth labs.

But yeah, you can see the Milky Way at night when it isn't overcast.
I don't know if I could recognize a methlab smell...
But yea the coqui frogs!!! Oh and the wandering dogs can be a bit bothersome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island