Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 AM

12 posts, read 25,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
What was Laupahoehoe like? That coastal area in general?

When buying the local ride, did you find it by word of mouth or Craigslist? I've been trying to line something up online before I arrive and get no response or call back once I state I arrive on March 1st. I watch the ads but have stopped trying to contact anyone until I'm there.
Laupahoehoe is beautiful. There were families of homeless that were living in the park there. We were also there when a woman shot herself in the head... And some kids found her. Oddly enough nobody in hilo or anywhere had heard anything about it.... Even dAys later. Which makes me feel like there are more murders and deaths that happen on the island than what people generally speak about.

I bought van off craigslist. Lady actually drove to hilo from volcano to show it to me. Transaction was quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 AM

12 posts, read 25,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Don't feel bad. Hawaii residents have an issue with calling any phone number that is longer than 7 digits. I am not kidding...

Get your cell phone number changed now to a local (Hawaii Island) 808 area code number. It makes all the difference in the world.
Agreed

Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtraveler View Post
We were also there when a woman shot herself in the head... And some kids found her. Oddly enough nobody in hilo or anywhere had heard anything about it.... Even dAys later. Which makes me feel like there are more murders and deaths that happen on the island than what people generally speak about.
The news coverage in Hawaiʻi is pretty scant and it's gotten worse over the years as local news organizations folded, merged, or were sold to outsiders. Not that long ago, there were separate news operations for KGMB, KHNL, and KFVE. Now, it's one operation known as "Hawaii News Now" that's owned by Alabama-based Raycom Media and simulcast on three stations. Similarly, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and Honolulu Advertiser merged to become the "Honolulu Star-Advertiser" after the Canada-based Black Press couldn't find a buyer for the Star-Bulletin. The largest newspapers on the Big Island (the Hilo Tribune-Herald and West Hawaiʻi Today) are both owned by Las Vegas-based Stephens Media and there's not much difference between them. The result of this near monopolization of the news media in Hawaiʻi means that stories that aren't considered "newsworthy" by the "powers-that-be" rarely hit the airwaves and print. And unfortunately, one can often learn more about what's going on the Big Island via the Hawaiʻi County Police blotter, various blogs, bulletin boards, Facebook, Twitter, and the "coconut wireless."

Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
What was Laupahoehoe like? That coastal area in general?

When buying the local ride, did you find it by word of mouth or Craigslist? I've been trying to line something up online before I arrive and get no response or call back once I state I arrive on March 1st. I watch the ads but have stopped trying to contact anyone until I'm there.
In my experience, Hawaiians aren't much into emails or dealing with non 808 phone numbers. Get a $15 tracfone and get an 808 area code when you activate it. I called a business to get a quote, then called later from an 808 number and not only were they more help, the price was cheaper.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM

219 posts, read 497,273 times
I've just been putting off changing my cell number until closer to departure time but now that's it is less than 2 weeks away I guess it is time. At least this way I can go ahead and get my written notice on the way to HDOE et al. Thanks for the input.

I thought it might look dishonest if I had the 808# too far ahead of actually being there, like if an employer called and wanted me there before my flight I would have to explain myself.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If there's just two weeks to go, tell them you are on the mainland visiting relatives and can make an appointment for two weeks from today.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
This must be a if you don't live in Oahu people have a phobia about calling non-808 numbers. Nobody pays long distance anymore. Half the mgmt team at my company don't have 808 numbers and a quick glance at our company directory (200 employees) shows at least 75 cell numbers that aren't 808. Even the 808 numbers I call I have to dial the area code on our company phones.

We generally don't hire people from the mainland but we don't care about the area code of their cell phone.....

Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM

58 posts, read 134,035 times
Hello. We're a family from a city in Asia. We will move to live with our friend's relatives in Pepeekeo soon. What's that community like? That friend told us that it is rural and far from downtown, and a private car is necessary. However, we're planning to move to Oahu in a quarter to half year. We have an infant with us.

Sincerely, we've to go living with them because we don't trust what are on the Craigslist. We actually prefer living in the City of Honolulu where things are more comfortable and, as said, we're from a crowded Asian city. We are so frustrated on how can we live in that kind of low-density place. But we're afraid of the living cost and where to live in Honolulu. We have only around US$18,000 in savings.

Can anybody suggest what should we do? By the way, we don't consider any other state besides Hawaii. We used to live in Honolulu temporaliry (but not as a tourist) and love it.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Pepeeko isn't that far from Hilo, but it is much too far to walk. There is some bus service, check Hawai'i County Mass Transit Agency — Hele-On Bus for the schedules and such. Pepeeko would be a stop on the Hilo/Kona, Hilo/Waikoloa, Hilo/Waimea and Hilo/Honokaa schedules. From Pepeeko, it is about a fifteen minute bus ride into Hilo town.

Pepeekeo is on a slope overlooking the ocean. The belt highway runs through it and there are houses below the highway (on the ocean side of the highway) as well as some houses on the slope above, too. There is a small general store there along with a post office. If you are in the older section of houses below the highway, there is another small store along with a tourist place which sells snacks.

You could start out by staying with your friend and then figure out if you'd prefer to move to Hilo or elsewhere once you see the area.

Honolulu will chew through your savings really quickly, you can stretch it further on the islands other than Oahu. What are you planning on doing for employment? There isn't much employment in Hilo, but the living expenses are less than Honolulu. In Honolulu you can usually find at least some type of job although finding a job which will pay the bills is difficult. Especially if you are trying to support a family on it.

If you are going to need employment to live in Hawaii, I'd suggest finding that employment first and then finding a place to live near the employment. Housing is much easier to find than employment.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This must be a if you don't live in Oahu people have a phobia about calling non-808 numbers. Nobody pays long distance anymore. Half the mgmt team at my company don't have 808 numbers and a quick glance at our company directory (200 employees) shows at least 75 cell numbers that aren't 808. Even the 808 numbers I call I have to dial the area code on our company phones.

We generally don't hire people from the mainland but we don't care about the area code of their cell phone.....

Agreed. Five years ago, maybe even three, I would have said an 808 number was a must. Now I find close to zero impact from using a different area code. I would say zero, but there was one guy in the Glenwood Park area I used to give rides to who lived on about $700 disability and had only a landline, with no long distance plan, so he couldn't call me. Other than that, no hay problema.

And I know lots of people on the island with mainland prefixes. Cell phones are so common today it has just ceased to be an issue at all for most folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island