Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1voyager1 View Post
This thread was not begun to ask for advice on whether or not I should contact a realtor.
I will do so if and when I decide to.
I do not need to explain myself to anyone as to how I intend to go about it.
Especially not to anyone that stoops to petty name calling because I do not acquiesce to their demands that I follow their unasked for advice.
If you have nothing to offer in response to the questions asked, do not respond.
If I needed basic survival advice I'd have asked for it.
Consider this thread closed.

EDIT:
By the way, I have already found out for myself the information I was asking for.
I say 5 months max before going home crying how nobody likes him in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:30 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
I cannot wait to see his attitude vs stink eye.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 AM

219 posts, read 497,173 times
The realtors I've dealt with were pushy and only interested in sales, no time to just talk. Loan officers at the bank just wanted to run my credit report and see if the bank would profit from me, no help there either. These were people in MS, if HI has realtors and bank officers brimming with aloha that are helpful and kind regardless of the bottom line bless them. However I've only encountered the other kind and the OP may have had similar experience, hence putting it off until they are ready to buy.

Tone is hard to convey online, I don't think the OP meant to come across like they were taken. But if they have already gotten the info they needed, continuing to discuss their plans is a moot point.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
The realtors I've dealt with were pushy and only interested in sales, no time to just talk. Loan officers at the bank just wanted to run my credit report and see if the bank would profit from me, no help there either. These were people in MS, if HI has realtors and bank officers brimming with aloha that are helpful and kind regardless of the bottom line bless them. However I've only encountered the other kind and the OP may have had similar experience, hence putting it off until they are ready to buy.

Tone is hard to convey online, I don't think the OP meant to come across like they were taken. But if they have already gotten the info they needed, continuing to discuss their plans is a moot point.
One of the worst thing anyone thinking of moving to Hawaii can do is assume that what happens on the mainland, in their current city, the goings on in their state, or the way things are done there, is any indication of how things happen on Hawaii. You read post after post of people having such a hard time dealing with how Hawaii ways are diffreent than the ways they were use to.

Bringing a negative attitude to a new place based on your experiences in another place is pretty inmature, isn;t it? Would you go to a new resturant in a new city and start complaining about their food before you get the food because you had a bad experience in anothe resturant in another city?

Now about real estate agents. geez, I am on email list from real estate agents on each island for years and bnevr have they ever started expecting me to do business with them to stay onnthe list. each one I have called to ask questions about a listed property and they were happy to talk. I have had one call because there was some going on with a parcel that he thought could change my veiws of the area. Did he do it cause I was buying? Ni, he did it cause he knew I may be interested int hat area if I move to that island. I have had Hawaii agent show me some properties even though I told them my timeline is years away. Of course there have been those that went cold when they were told I was window shopping many stores, but they were the few compared to the many that assisted without expectation of a sale.

Heck I had this smoking hot blonde bombshell once try to pickpocket me, does that mean I should never go near hot blonde bombshells because of that one?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
However, if all their experiences with real estate agents were bad ones, how could they imagine differently since their database doesn't include the entry of "real estate agent" under the heading of "nice helpful people"? Overall, doing business in Hawaii involves a lot more chatting and personal involvement than on the mainland, IMHO. Perhaps things have changed on the mainland and folks are relating to each other more, but I'm suspecting that in general they aren't. Although the mainland is a big place so there's room for just about anything there and nice things should be there as well as here, too.

The OP's last post did come across as pretty short and grumpy, though. If that is a prevailing attitude he keeps around himself, one can suspect he will encounter frequent difficulties living in Hawaii. Hopefully it was merely a momentary glitch.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
One of the worst thing anyone thinking of moving to Hawaii can do is assume that what happens on the mainland, in their current city, the goings on in their state, or the way things are done there, is any indication of how things happen on Hawaii. You read post after post of people having such a hard time dealing with how Hawaii ways are diffreent than the ways they were use to.

Bringing a negative attitude to a new place based on your experiences in another place is pretty inmature, isn;t it? Would you go to a new resturant in a new city and start complaining about their food before you get the food because you had a bad experience in anothe resturant in another city?

Now about real estate agents. geez, I am on email list from real estate agents on each island for years and bnevr have they ever started expecting me to do business with them to stay onnthe list. each one I have called to ask questions about a listed property and they were happy to talk. I have had one call because there was some going on with a parcel that he thought could change my veiws of the area. Did he do it cause I was buying? Ni, he did it cause he knew I may be interested int hat area if I move to that island. I have had Hawaii agent show me some properties even though I told them my timeline is years away. Of course there have been those that went cold when they were told I was window shopping many stores, but they were the few compared to the many that assisted without expectation of a sale.

Heck I had this smoking hot blonde bombshell once try to pickpocket me, does that mean I should never go near hot blonde bombshells because of that one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
However, if all their experiences with real estate agents were bad ones, how could they imagine differently since their database doesn't include the entry of "real estate agent" under the heading of "nice helpful people"? Overall, doing business in Hawaii involves a lot more chatting and personal involvement than on the mainland, IMHO. Perhaps things have changed on the mainland and folks are relating to each other more, but I'm suspecting that in general they aren't. Although the mainland is a big place so there's room for just about anything there and nice things should be there as well as here, too.

The OP's last post did come across as pretty short and grumpy, though. If that is a prevailing attitude he keeps around himself, one can suspect he will encounter frequent difficulties living in Hawaii. Hopefully it was merely a momentary glitch.
You both bring up very good points about how you have to go and talk and eat lunch with the person who is going to help you buy a home there in the islands it takes time and effort and a little money spent trying to find the right place for you to spend the rest of your life there on one of the island that you chose as home

Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Considering how much of an impact your house, it's location, it's cost and carrying expenses are going to be on your life, lifestyle, budget, friendships, etc., any help you can get to do it should be appreciated, I'd think!

We've moved much closer to a population center this past year and all of a sudden we have twice as many friends as we did before! Who'da thunk it? We didn't move more than fifteen miles, but the change in our social life has been amazing.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,254 times
When you are ready to find a mortgage banker please call Randall Church at Hilo Streetbank. He was so helpful to us even when the deal didn't go through with him. He has given us so much free advise for our relocation to Hawaii. We still haven't met him face to face but I consider him a helpful friend. Good luck on your move.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,237 times
well voyager at least your in alaska where you won't have a heart attack like i may have if i don't get over to hilo soon. yes i also just posted a thread in hopes of finding someone in hilo or south hilo looking to move to my nitemare town. it's the newest thread today i think under big island. you may even want to email me if you need any answers since i'm not new to the islands at all. even though we are in vegas we still get to the islands once a year anyhow and have been coming since the mid 70's. i'm quite familiar with the big island as well. this heat in las vegas is forcing me out once and for good this time since the next time the heat may really give me a heart attack here. i need that wet humid cool air it's terrific for what ails me. anyway i'm not going to read this forum much so email me if you think i may be able to help you and perhaps you can help me too you never know. once again my thread is a new one today so is easy to find. no mahalo's yet till we get situated lol......

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumidityLover View Post
well voyager at least your in alaska where you won't have a heart attack like i may have if i don't get over to hilo soon. yes i also just posted a thread in hopes of finding someone in hilo or south hilo looking to move to my nitemare town. it's the newest thread today i think under big island. you may even want to email me if you need any answers since i'm not new to the islands at all. even though we are in vegas we still get to the islands once a year anyhow and have been coming since the mid 70's. i'm quite familiar with the big island as well. this heat in las vegas is forcing me out once and for good this time since the next time the heat may really give me a heart attack here. i need that wet humid cool air it's terrific for what ails me. anyway i'm not going to read this forum much so email me if you think i may be able to help you and perhaps you can help me too you never know. once again my thread is a new one today so is easy to find. no mahalo's yet till we get situated lol......
You do realize that if you really have serious medical issues - about the last place you want to go is the Big Island. If you really have a heart attack or anything serious you'll need to get airlifted to Oahu. People need to really consider the outer islands are not equipped for serious health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island