Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
Uprightgirl and I have been exchanging PMs, and she has the contact info for the Kona vet who handles direct release. She's the vet we will be using. That vet is very helpful and will ensure she has her paperwork in order.
The titer test, if it has not been done, must be done ASAP as Hawaii has to receive the results from KSU before the 120 day timer starts.

Two rabies shots lifetime, the most recent cannot be administered within 90 days of travel.

If the OP hasn't addressed either of these, it's a must.

I can't emphasize this enough: it's the OWNER'S responsibility to make sure the paperwork is correct. The vet may be helpful, but they cannot complete it on behalf of the owner. If you show up without the import permit at the airport, they won't even board the pets. It's a process full of pitfalls and the slightest deviation will cause the pets to end up in quarantine, or not on the flight. If the OP is at all worried about completing the paperwork, there are services that will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
Ford, thanks for the information. I've already taken care of all of that (in case you were wondering) but the information is good for other participants in this thread.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Yeah, since this is a neighboring island (BI) release, KVS is pretty good at making sure the person knows what needs to be done. The staff and vets over at KVS are realy nice folks and go that extra mile to make everything flow smoothly because if something goes wrong, its a major problem for all.

Ford Beebe is right that you do have to take that extra step and always be on top of everything because when things are not 100% correct, it's not like at honolulu where you have options and alternatives, on a neighboring isalnd release, its one way and only one way. Even a simple thing as arriving a day late is a major issue and can result in a one way ticket for the animal to Honolulu or back on the next plane to the mainland. Even a simple delayed flight can be a problem because the vets do not sit at the airport waiting for the plane, they are blocking out a specific appointment time from their practice to travel to the airport to conduct the inspection and handle the paperwork. if yuor late they may not be there when the plane finally arrives and off to honolulu the pet goes. So KVS will try and make sure everything is perfect because they know any mistake is a BIG deal.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
go the extra mile to the point that I had my vet sigh in trip. with blue ink not black (looks like a copy) just in case the airport lost or kept the copy you need to go with the dog they will not take a copy so i had my originals all 3.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 16,312 times
We're moving at the end of June. I was wondering if anyone has information on which airline is the best for traveling with the pets. I talked to someone at Continental yesterday. It'll cost about $1400 just for our 4 pets - direct from LAX. Has anyone else used other airlines and how were they with your pets?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 16,312 times
Also, does anyone know if there is a pet beach on Maui near Kihei?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flkeys_Marsha View Post
We're moving at the end of June. I was wondering if anyone has information on which airline is the best for traveling with the pets. I talked to someone at Continental yesterday. It'll cost about $1400 just for our 4 pets - direct from LAX. Has anyone else used other airlines and how were they with your pets?
Each airline is similar yet different. For the most part they are all good at transporting pets from mainland to Hawaii. The differences depends on such things like which airport and time of day your leaving from. The type and size of the dogs being transported. Your final desitination on Hawaii (which island) and if doing quarantine in honolulu or a neighboring island release. It also depends if LAX is your initial starting point or some other airport. If your going onthe plane as a passneger or if they are being sent alone. Besides the regular scheduled passneger airlines, there are also cargo only flights which are an option.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flkeys_Marsha View Post
Also, does anyone know if there is a pet beach on Maui near Kihei?
Maui Leash Law
Quote:
Allowing dogs to wander loose or run off-leash is illegal. Maui County Code 6.04.040 requires that a dog be under restraint at all times by way of a fully enclosed yard, kennel or similar structure, or inside a residence. If a dog is not in a fully enclosed yard or suitable enclosure, it must be leashed. When away from the owner's property, a dog must be on a leash no longer than 10 feet in length and a responsible person must hold that leash. This applies to every place - including all beaches and parks in Maui County. Failure to abide by the leash law may result in a fine up to $500.
Are dogs allowed on beaches? Yes. Do they have to be leashed? Yes. Want to have a quick fight? Allow your dog to roam free and then have it run up to a child who gets scared, and watch the action from the parent(s).

Friendly dogs, on a leash, enjoying a walk on the beach, OK. But don't forget the pooper scooper.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM

14 posts, read 24,602 times
Just wondering if you were able to find someone to share your cost and how did your dogs do during all the move?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
The idea of a chartered flight for pets of concerned owners is a recurring theme, but the reality is that only millionaires could ever afford such service. We brought 7 parrots and a dog from Alaska to HNL on a commercial carrier without incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: