Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times

Advertisements

One last consideration on convertibles. Microclimates. I have had my share of convertibles and as a matter of fact the 4runner I brought over from the mainland has a removable top. In the 3 months I have had it here, the top has been off exactly once.
What I mean by microclimates and convertibles is this. On many trips from Kailua to Discovery Harbour, you will leave Kailua in hot, convertible-top-down weather. Great, drop the top and go. But wait, as you are tooling down the Mamaloha going through Kona when torrential downpours appear (sometimes literally instantaneously). Okay, fine, I'll put the top back up...... when I can get to a turnout...in the next few miles...should go quick....wait, is that a schoolbus I'm behind????

Seriously though, I love convertibles, had half a dozen of them, but I don't now that I would want one here. But it sounds like you are set on one. Will salt air play a role? Perhaps, I have seen some pretty rusted out newer cars here. In all likelihood, if you take care of it and garage it, it'll be fine. But I got way more use out of my convertibles in Northern California than I would here. The weather is just too changeable, and if you get the interior wet, it'll be a bear to dry out with the humidity and all and then yes, you could end up with soem corrosion issues.
I think that is why you see so few convertibles outside of the rental fleets.
just my .02$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,577,728 times
Thumbs up 29 days

until lift-off. The "kids" will get picked up 4 weeks from today. We will pick them up in Kona the nest day. Furniture & motorcycle leave the week of Christmas. It has actually been cold in Central Florida this week - mid 40s at night, low 60s during the day.

Mahalo!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Thumbs up 15 more Days

Furniture is now on the way. Have airline tickets, as do both of the kids. Can't wait!

Questions: Which Starbucks in Na'alehu has the best wifi? Or do you have to go to one of the McDonalds for a strong signal? And does the Pizza Hut deliver to Discovery Harbour?

Mahalo

Old 12-26-2014, 06:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
The best wifi is at your house. (have you arranged for tv, phone, and internet yet?)

You could walk to Gilligan's Cafe from your house. They make New York Style pizza on Friday and Saturday nights. The rest of the time we eat the bake-it-yourself that we buy at Costco.

We'll be looking forward to meeting you soon

Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The best wifi is at your house. (have you arranged for tv, phone, and internet yet?)

You could walk to Gilligan's Cafe from your house. They make New York Style pizza on Friday and Saturday nights. The rest of the time we eat the bake-it-yourself that we buy at Costco.

We'll be looking forward to meeting you soon
DoH - we haven't closed yet - got put off because of appraisal issues, which are now resolved, we hope. Should close by late next week. So, no, haven't made any efforts toward TV/phone/internet. We will have our Sprint "Florida" phones with us for a while if coverage is decent.

We are now down to counting the hours until liftoff! (90 or so)

Mahalo

Old 01-31-2015, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 66,404 times
Ok 15 more days to go before we arrive for our 2months of rest. Does anyone know of a cheap car for sale. Or a good rental for our 2 month stay.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decan51 View Post
Ok 15 more days to go before we arrive for our 2months of rest. Does anyone know of a cheap car for sale. Or a good rental for our 2 month stay.
There are a few rental cars listed by private parties on BI Craigslist.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 66,404 times
Thanks I will take a look.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 PM

Default Island Market in Na'alehu?

So, does anyone know the future of the Island Market location in Na'alehu? It has been closed for over a month and I haven't seen any activity there. It was the anchor store for the Na'alehu Mall, and I'd guess all of us in Discovery Harbour miss it.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
So, does anyone know the future of the Island Market location in Na'alehu? It has been closed for over a month and I haven't seen any activity there. It was the anchor store for the Na'alehu Mall, and I'd guess all of us in Discovery Harbour miss it.
My guess is it ain't coming back. And all you Na'alehuans...er......Na'aheluites........flat-landers, are sure clogging up the Oceanview Market and Kalama Market up my way.

But I sympathize, that's a tough situation for folks from Pahala to Na'alehu to have to deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island