Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decan51 View Post
I really do not know anything about Volcano driven thru but never really paid much attention to what's happening there. I'll have to pay more attention next time to the area.
Not a lot to see driving through, but get on the mailing lists for events here and you'd be surprised how much goes on in this "arts mecca." According to the 2000 census, the average educational level here is "some grad school," and a number of residents are professors at U of H. We have an unusual number of world-class artists of various disciplines living here... painters, sculptors, weavers, potters, glass blowers... as well as published writers, dancers, actors, musicians. The artist's hui (cooperative org) puts on an open gallery tour and art showing at the end of November that brings people from the mainland. They're also doing a show at the East Hawai'i Cultural Center in Hilo in May. The Volcano Art Center runs an amazing gallery in the National Park... currently featuring the wildlife paintings of Marion Berger... along with works of many artists and craftspeople, and it has a new building in the village for classes and performances.

VAC's music series, mostly at the KMC Theater in the park (phenomenal Art Deco era theater with extraordinary acoustics), has been varied and quite wonderful... Honolulu Jazz Quartet, Grammy award winners like Maui supergroup Hapa and slack key masters Makana and Jeff Peterson, chamber music, flamenco nouveau, a Johnny Cash tribute called "Ring of Fire," all kines stuff.

The park itself hosts frequent free performances of traditional Hawiian culture, like hula and "talk story with Aunty Maile" and music from guitarist John Keawe and the group Kuahiwis.

So yeah, check out what's going on in Volcano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiouchi View Post
The more everyone shares the more my wife and I are learning from Quincy, Ca.

In emergencies is there helicopter service in DH and, can you become a member of life flight? In coastal northern CA and in the High Sierras, we belong to life flight services for an annual fee - you are covered for most transportation costs. Does this exist on the Big Island?
Not that I am aware of.
Your insurance company (there are only a small handful licensed in the state) will fly you to Oahu in the likely event that either the Hilo or Kona hospitals cannot properly treat you. The insurance companies also pay for you (and spouse) to fly via commercial plane to Oahu if certain other procedures or tests are required. Put it this way; there are many daily flights of helicopters - and people on planes that are going for medical treatment.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 32,322 times
Default Life Flight

Thank you for this information. What type of health insurance is most used in Hawaii. I belonged to Kaiser when I was young and with kids. Today Blue Cross of Ca. Your experiences and prefernences in Hawaii?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiouchi View Post
Thank you for this information. What type of health insurance is most used in Hawaii. I belonged to Kaiser when I was young and with kids. Today Blue Cross of Ca. Your experiences and prefernences in Hawaii?
You will need to tailor your health insurance geared towards where you live and where you want to go to make doctor visits, etc.
Kaiser Permanate and HMSA are the 2 biggest ones. We have HMSA.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 AM

10 posts, read 23,196 times
Default Loving DH

Aloha all,

I see that there haven't been any posts in almost 2 years on this thread. The thread for "Discovery Harbor" has posts from last year.......and I was surprised that none of the Discovery Harbour residents said a word about the correct spelling.

Anyway, my husband and I purchased our home in July 2011. We spent a week there every month renovating the entire house until we moved (retired) in January 2013. Coming from Oahu, the 90 minute drive to Hilo or Kona is a non-issue. We have spent way too many times stuck in traffic on H1 taking 2 hours to go 25 miles.

Thus far we love everything about DH. We are apx. 1300 elevation, have a 180 degree view of the ocean, and LOVE the natural AC. It is the rare day there is no wind. The VOG on Oahu bothers my eyes, yet I have not noticed any VOG in DH.

If you want tranquility, perfect temperatures and easy living.......DH is the place.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM

8,760 posts, read 4,422,631 times
Gee - it's now 2014. We plan on moving to Big Island this year or next, health permitting. DH is a possibility, but not sure if we can handle the remoteness. Is the golf course playable?

Mahalo
Hoot N Annie

Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
DH is a possibility, but not sure if we can handle the remoteness.
My rule of thumb is, if you're not sure if you can handle the remoteness, you probably can't.

If you're not sure how you feel, spend a couple of weeks there in a vacation rental and see how it feels to you to be a three hour round trip from almost everything. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not something most people are attracted to, hence the sparse population in that area.

For golf I think the closest will be Sea Mountain Golf Course in Pahala ("$20 fee includes golf cart - you get what you pay for,") or Volcano Country Club, which, according to my buddy who golfs, "Sort of OK, with great scenery." Or you can go the other way and hit the Kona Country Club, which is in another league altogether.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM

10 posts, read 23,196 times
Yes, the course is very playable. Several of the home owners pitch in and cut the grass. Flags and tee markers were just replaced. The remoteness (my hubby and I think) is insignificant. You can be in Hilo or Kona in 90 minutes. Straight driving with no traffic is much better than city life with 90 minutes stuck in traffic. We absolutely LOVE Discovery Harbour.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
I'm a DH resident, too. I agree with OpenD about spending a couple of weeks here. I also agree with everything that DH_Nirvana said.

We have a very active community with lots of stuff happening every day. And there are many volunteer opportunities in the area. If you are outgoing and like to get involved, there are plenty of people to get to know.

We decided that we would live here because we could afford WAY more house than if we were in Kona. And we have no immediate neighbors, so it's very quiet. Of course other houses do have more neighbors around them, but generally it is a peaceful area.

We plan our outings to Kona and Hilo and go every other week or so. We take detailed shopping lists and maximize our time there. And if we forget something, there are grocery stores and hardware stores here, as well as the farmer's market and community gardens.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 PM

67 posts, read 158,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Gee - it's now 2014. We plan on moving to Big Island this year or next, health permitting. DH is a possibility, but not sure if we can handle the remoteness. Is the golf course playable?

Mahalo
Hoot N Annie
This area is remote to larger towns, but it has some small, interesting villages nearby and is relatively close to some of mine and my teens favorite things to do on the island. I do not know how familiar you are with the area, but amazing snorkeling and diving is relatively close. Swimming with dolphins while watching whales up close on breaks from her schoolwork makes a great day for my daughter. Green Sand beach is also very close. Of course, DO NOT attempt to drive all of the way to the beach without 4x4 (an air tank for your tires is not a bad idea either). Also, once you make it, the footing is steep down to the beach. I do it with enthusiasm when I am physically able (although never with any speed, my daughter laughs at me). It is worth it, a very beautiful beach. Overall, although I do not live there, I kind of like the location of DH. Probably preaching to the choir, but of course, I echo others worrying about your "health permitting" comment. I know what I am talking about. Serious chronic health problems are big problems on the BI especially if you are remote.

Last edited by constantcuriosity; 02-13-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island