Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 AM

37 posts, read 200,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,everyone!I am glad I've discovered this site.So many friendly folks trying to help.Currently I live in California.The rent here killed my marriage and eventually will kill me (I work 2 jobs,56 hours a week).I am seriously considering moving to Puna.I can get a job in Hilo,but cannot afford to live there.Most of semi-affordable houses in Puna are in lava zone 1 or 2 .I just found out that homeowners insurances don't cover lava. I heard that Lloyd of London might but the figures are astronomical.Definitely not for my entry level job salary.
So what happens if I buy a small house(and anything decent is at least 140000),get 30-year mortgage and lava destroys my house ?Any help from state?I wouldn't count on that.People who buy houses now are probably rich enough to buy or build another one .
Is it realistic to put a house on the platform and move it out or the disaster area?How much it costs? Do you now anyone who was able to do it?
I still have some hope to live in Puna.I'm thinking to buy a land for now and save money to put a yurt.I like Kalapana Sea View Estates.I 've seen the permitted yurt there.Sorry for so many questions but I need to ask:what are the chance that a lot in Kalapana Sea View will be unusable for building/setting up a yurt?I mean like methan gas or something.I Know so little about construction.
I would greatly appreciate any help . I still hope.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times
A 140,000 sf house is probably gonna set you back a bit! I don't think the lava flow is threatening any homes at the moment. There was a homeowner who knew his house was going to get devoured by Madam Pele, the lava was moving painfully slowly towards his home, he removed everything he possibly could, cabinets, countertops, doors, plumbing, pretty much everything but the framing, THEN TORCHED THE HOUSE HIMSELF!!!! Kind of like, "Take that Pele!" There was a newscast from the subdivision that the lava was flowing trough, I remember this one shot on the local news of an intersection in the subdivision, and the flow actually stopped momentarily at a stop sign. At least Pele has good driving manners. They also moved the famous Painted Church out of harms way, it's still standing today.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM

37 posts, read 200,452 times
Thanks,Jungjohann!You have a great sense of humour.The best joke is about 140000sqf house.I ment dollars.I wish I had some of your spirit.
I still hope for some practical advice,though I can take a practical joke too.
StillHope.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times
If you're in a lava flow zone, don't build off a slab, build on post and pier, that way, just in case, (what the heck are the odds?) you can move the house. 1400 sf is pretty big for Hawaii, because you don't spend that much time indoors anyways. Look into a prepackaged kit home, you could do the easy stuff, drywall, paint, insulation yourself, and save some kala. And yea, I missed that 140,000 deal, you could have your whole family in that sucker and not see them for weeks! I'm on Maui, and Haleakala is still listed as an active volcano, and is overdue to throw a little Madam Pele tantrum, if Kilauea ever quits, well, all that plumbing is connected somewhere.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,224,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHope View Post
Hi,everyone!I am glad I've discovered this site.So many friendly folks trying to help.Currently I live in California.The rent here killed my marriage and eventually will kill me (I work 2 jobs,56 hours a week).I am seriously considering moving to Puna.I can get a job in Hilo,but cannot afford to live there.Most of semi-affordable houses in Puna are in lava zone 1 or 2 .I just found out that homeowners insurances don't cover lava. I heard that Lloyd of London might but the figures are astronomical.Definitely not for my entry level job salary.
So what happens if I buy a small house(and anything decent is at least 140000),get 30-year mortgage and lava destroys my house ?Any help from state?I wouldn't count on that.People who buy houses now are probably rich enough to buy or build another one .
Is it realistic to put a house on the platform and move it out or the disaster area?How much it costs? Do you now anyone who was able to do it?
I still have some hope to live in Puna.I'm thinking to buy a land for now and save money to put a yurt.I like Kalapana Sea View Estates.I 've seen the permitted yurt there.Sorry for so many questions but I need to ask:what are the chance that a lot in Kalapana Sea View will be unusable for building/setting up a yurt?I mean like methan gas or something.I Know so little about construction.
I would greatly appreciate any help . I still hope.Thanks.
Hawai'i Property Insurance Association (HPIA) provides insurance for homes in Lava Zones 1 and 2. They recently raised the cap from $250K to $350K, so as long as the replacement cost of your house is under $350K , no worries.

If you plan on working in Hilo, the commute from Kalapana Seaview Estates is somewhat longish.

Here's a link to a Honolulu Star-Bulletin article that might be of interest...
http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/22/b...s/story02.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island