Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,528 times

Advertisements

We have been planning a move to the BI for a while but the economy forced us to put it off. However, that all changed this week when we were one of the three winners of the mega millions, which gives us approximately 220 million to put towards a move. I am still a bit concerned though, because of all the negative posts about the cost of living on the BI.
Should the 220 million be enough to manage there, if we are frugal? I'd hate to get there, and have to leave within 6 months if it isn't enough. I guess we could put enough aside for a return flight, but I just want to make sure we aren't being foolish. Thanks for your help. Cheers from snowy Whistler. Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerAl View Post
We have been planning a move to the BI for a while... yadda yadda yadda ... Should the 220 million be enough to manage there, if we are frugal?... yadda yadda yadda... Cheers from snowy Whistler.
And a belated Happy April Fools Day to you, too!

Whistler, of course, is miles from Maryland, Illinois or Kansas, and across a national border from anyplace you could buy a ticket, but as Dave Letterman put it, your chances of winning are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not.

Or in other words, your chances of winning are about the same of being struck by lightning. Unfortunately this unlucky chap got the latter...

Kansas lotto player hit by lightning after buying Mega Millions tickets* - NY Daily News

Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM

431 posts, read 939,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerAl View Post
We have been planning a move to the BI for a while but the economy forced us to put it off. However, that all changed this week when we were one of the three winners of the mega millions, which gives us approximately 220 million to put towards a move. I am still a bit concerned though, because of all the negative posts about the cost of living on the BI.
Should the 220 million be enough to manage there, if we are frugal? I'd hate to get there, and have to leave within 6 months if it isn't enough. I guess we could put enough aside for a return flight, but I just want to make sure we aren't being foolish. Thanks for your help. Cheers from snowy Whistler. Al
We're going to need more information.
Are there kids involved? Any health problems? Will you be able to deal with the multi-cultural issues that may crop up?
220 million is a good start, though, and it's nice to see that you're not rebelling against the "put some money aside for a return trip" advice that's often given (and sneered at) on this forum.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
Well I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii with my children, and without enough savings, and wonder if it is easy to get food stamps in case I cannot afford to support my family. [Oh, wait, I think that was already asked on another thread...]

Happy April 1st. But sadly sometimes it's not a joke!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM

41 posts, read 60,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Well I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii with my children, and without enough savings, and wonder if it is easy to get food stamps in case I cannot afford to support my family. [Oh, wait, I think that was already asked on another thread...]

Happy April 1st. But sadly sometimes it's not a joke!

it's easy to get food stamps in Hawaii if your a mainlander and that's not a joke.
also FYI Hawaii is ranked 41 of 50 for welfare states; most people here work.
(excluding 21st century wannabe hippies)

wait did that come across as racist?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuskona View Post
it's easy to get food stamps in Hawaii if your a mainlander and that's not a joke.
Source? The Federal Government sets the eligibility requirements, and the program is not based on ethnic heritage or where you're from.

Quote:
also FYI Hawaii is ranked 41 of 50 for welfare states; most people here work.
Source? The first three rankings I found online placed Hawai'i about in the middle, between #27 and 31.

Quote:
(excluding 21st century wannabe hippies) wait did that come across as racist?
To me it came across as missing the point entirely. This thread was an April Fool's joke, a pleasant diversion. Hijacking it for a rant isn't funny, and making up false and divisive statements just seems like an unpleasant attempt to stir up trouble.

No thank you.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
WhistlerAl, I think there's a nice little igloo for you up on the top of Mauna Kea! That 220M will be a lovely little down payment on it. Nice cold and snowy up there, igloo shaped buildings, you'll feel like you're still at home in Alaska! With the size of the telescope in the igloo you can probably see your old neighbor in Alaska waving to you in your new home.

(and Happy April Fool's Day to you, too!)

Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 AM

41 posts, read 60,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Source? The Federal Government sets the eligibility requirements, and the program is not based on ethnic heritage or where you're from.

source? lol do you live in hawaii, if so in a box?

Source? The first three rankings I found online placed Hawai'i about in the middle, between #27 and 31.

google is great you should try it.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

To me it came across as missing the point entirely. This thread was an April Fool's joke, a pleasant diversion. Hijacking it for a rant isn't funny, and making up false and divisive statements just seems like an unpleasant attempt to stir up trouble.

No thank you.
not trying to stir up trouble, I was just trying to clear up misunderstandings of fact.
If facts offend you then I am sorry.

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OpenD

Quote:
source? lol do you live in hawaii, if so in a box?
Tossing an insult does not cover the fact that you have presented no evidence at all to support your assertion.

Here is factual information about eligibility requirements to participate in the program in Hawai'i. A mainlander and a native Hawaiian with identical qualifications would be treated identically. To do otherwise would be a federal crime.
Department of Human Services Nutrition Program Facts -- SNAP — Department of Human Services

Quote:
google is great you should try it.
Total Recipients > Welfare Caseloads statistics - states compared - StateMaster
Thanks, that clears up where your misunderstanding came from. That's just a ranking of the total number of welfare recipients by state, and since the population of Hawai'i is so small, the number of recipients is naturally small too. When you compare RATE of welfare cases, however, you get a different picture... Hawai'i is neither at the high nor low end compared to other states, but is actually about in the middle, as I stated previously.

Quote:
not trying to stir up trouble, I was just trying to clear up misunderstandings of fact.
If facts offend you then I am sorry.
Facts don't offend me, but misstating facts does.
Facts don't offend me, but being deliberately insulting does.
Facts don't offend me, but hijacking a thread to drive an agenda does.
Facts don't offend me, but trollish behavior from brand new posters does.

As I said elsewhere, I suggest you wag more, bark less.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
OpenD, I sure wish I could give you more rep points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island