U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM

217 posts, read 249,374 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the schools on the Big Island, I've also looked at the area around the schools, trying to figure out which area I want to live. As a teacher I don't have to live within any certain distance to a school but a shorter commute is obviously preferred.

I am looking for input on which schools should I include on my interest list. So far I know I like the Waikoloa and Kona areas. Captain Cook seemed nice but expensive to live. I would go as far east as Volcano and I am not ruling out the southern areas such as Naalehu. I like the Northern coastal areas but prefer the dry areas. That cold mist on the wind is nice once in a while but I don't think I would like it year round.

It would be nice if forum members that have had experience with Big Island schools could offer input. A head's up before I walk into a bad situation would be great but I would very much appreciate leads to good opportunities I have not considered yet.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,676,661 times
The schools in Naalehu are badly in need of good teachers. Have you taught in poor rural schools? Can you teach in pidgin?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM

I have worked in poor rural schools before. I have been heavily discouraged from speaking or teaching in pidgin. I get the gist of it when I hear it.
It may be a moot point if they are not hiring in my field or don't call. DOE sends out the list and they go down it until someone takes the job. I'm trying to make my own list so I can be prepared when the phone starts ringing.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 PM

69 posts, read 120,976 times
My son goes to Volcano School, it's a private charter school, so I believe they do their own "inhouse hiring". I know they are going to be hiring a K and a 1st grade teacher next year, but I think I remember you're in Sped? I can't think of a better place to work. But they only have one Sped teacher and he isn't leaving for many years. I know Kau is usually in need of teachers, and I heard from my CT that every year they post the opening for a particular Sped teacher there, but it never gets filled, so he resumes the next year. I guess staff would really like to replace him, so you'd have a good shot at Kau. That's a pretty isolated area. That's all the gossip I know for next year. I don't know much about the Kona side scene.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 AM

Thanks Nalu, yes I'm a K-12 SpEd teacher. If they would restore the incentive pay to work in the geographically isolated areas they might have more luck with staffing. Just my opinion of course. I spoke with a former SpEd teacher and she got $5k paid out over time for moving expense and incentive for teaching a high need area. I asked about it since my original contact from HDOE mentioned that too. No such thing now or so I hear, that would be a nice surprise though if it later showed up.

What does that particular teacher teach?grade level? inclusion or self-contained? I'm also curious as to what he is doing to warrant such a situation, but it's ok if you can't answer. I appreciate the input, I'm not dead set on staying on the Kona side so info about other areas is most welcome. I just happen to be working over here and have seen more of those schools. I feel more confident taking a position someplace I know a bit about before hand.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 AM

My Ct said he is at Kau High, I think it's a self contained class, but not sure, I don't know the details of what the problems are, he was just trying to give me possible leads when I finish the program. We are moving to town so it would be too far for me to drive out there.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM

5,882 posts, read 9,571,461 times
Laupahoehoe school is going to a charter school and will be hiring a lot of folks. Laupahoehoe is a nice area with less rain than Hilo but enough rain to keep everything lush and green.

If you taught at Pauuilo, you could live nearby in Paauhau which is inexpensive and has a lot of sun. Rather a steep road in and out, but it's not a long road. Pauuilo has nice weather, too. Hardly any vog along the Hamakua coast, not like the Kona district these days.

Kohala might be nice. What about Hawaii Prep? Then you could choose the dry side or the wet side of Waimea. Although, Waimea is a bit expensive to live.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM

I did check with Parker School and they don't have a need for a special ed. teacher. I've noticed the schools geared for the college bound usually don't have much need for my field.

I have been in touch with Laupahoehoe, I hope I get a call soon since they've started advertising in the paper for teachers this week. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,490,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I did check with Parker School and they don't have a need for a special ed. teacher. I've noticed the schools geared for the college bound usually don't have much need for my field.
I'd venture that for a "special ed" teaching position, you'll need to head to the public schools.

Most of Hawaii's private schools have a competitive testing and interview process for enrollment, and do no offer "special ed" programs. Parker school's tuition is about $12-13K per year. (HPA is about $17-22K.) Most parents who are paying high tuition expect the classes to hold up to the standards of college prep.

The only private school I am aware of that has specialized accommodations is Assets School on Oahu (known for their work with bright but dyslexic students). But it is not a "special ed" school in terms of low expectations or limited capabilities.

[Wondering, anyone know of any private schools that have accommodations for special ed?]

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM

One thing to be aware of..if you want to become tenured you need to do 2 years and one day at a public school, not a public charter school. I found this out through my adviser. Although, there are talks now of dissolving tenure so in the future that could be a mute point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island