Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Solid wood does fine here id you have the high quality compressed wood it will survive.
Quote:
I'm not talking Veneer or laminate .
I am also not here to split hairs or change the subject which is Particleboard or compressed hardboard/ that's what I answered if you want to compair quality of those then were in.
Particleboard IS compressed wood. I just tried to draw a little finer distinction on WHICH compressed wood products seem to do better than others. And in my experience the ones with thick laminate, like Formica, do better than the ones with a paper thin surface.

Yes, there is a distinction between particle board and hardboard, but that isn't what you originally said.

Chill, dude. It's only a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Then stop picking everyone's comments apart.
It is an internet forum.
Picking at the tiniest details of a post isn't really that important.
One that does that simply ends up irritating everyone.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Quote:
Particleboard IS compressed wood. I just tried to draw a little finer distinction on WHICH compressed wood products seem to do better than others. And in my experience the ones with thick laminate, like Formica, do better than the ones with a paper thin surface.

Yes, there is a distinction between particle board and hardboard, but that isn't what you originally said.

Still wont leave it huh? Your leading the Op a stray with bad advice

Thick Laminate like Formica (a brand name ) mounted on particle board will still fall apart

I'm feeling bad about the OP now that OpenD has turned another thread into an argument about something that the OP didn't say

Koa

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Then stop picking everyone's comments apart.
It is an internet forum.
Picking at the tiniest details of a post isn't really that important.
One that does that simply ends up irritating everyone.
I was trying to further explore something that isn't that easy to understand for a non-expert. How many people looking at a piece of IKEA furniture know if they are looking at a piece of particle board, a piece of MDF, or a piece of hardboard? They're all essentially different grades of the same product.

I have noticed, however, that people can generally determine what kind of surface treatment an engineered wood product has, and that it usually is an indicator of relative quality. That's what I was attempting to get at.

As to your other claim, I'll simply point out that you are not everyone, and that following me around sniping at my posts because you are irritated is not useful to anyone. Sorry you don't like me, but for my part, what you think of me is actually none of my concern.

I'm here to help people out, and to engage in discussions that are fun for me. If I can stimulate some clear thinking along the way, it's all gravy! And based on the private messages I've received in just the last 24 hours, I know I'm getting stuff done and I'm appreciated here. YMMV!

Last edited by OpenD; 04-29-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
I was trying to further explore something that isn't that easy to understand for a non-expert. How many people looking at a piece of IKEA furniture know if they are looking at a piece of particle board, a piece of MDF, or a piece of hardboard? They're all essentially different grades of the same product.

I have noticed, however, that people can generally determine what kind of surface treatment an engineered wood product has, and that it usually is an indicator of relative quality. That's what I was attempting to get at...
Maybe if you had pointed out that you are an "expert" at particle board construction, people would have a different viewpoint on your post. I understand now.
Sorry for the confusion?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Huh?

I'm not talking Veneer or laminate .
I am also not here to split hairs or change the subject which is Particleboard or compressed hardboard/ that's what I answered if you want to compair quality of those then were in.

Koa
Spelling error on 'compair'. It's supposed to be 'commpare'!!!!! YA PUPULE!!!!

BBBBHHHHHUUUUUWWWWWHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..... ........

Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Maybe if you had pointed out that you are an "expert" at particle board construction, people would have a different viewpoint on your post. I understand now.
I don't often talk about my background, because it usually confuses the hell out of people. My life has been extremely non-linear and multi-disciplinary and largely outside the norm.

As I just explained to another poster in private mail, I have personal experience with furniture construction, laminating all kinds of materials onto all kinds of materials, and I was simply trying to point out ways a clueless layman might be able to distinguish whether the IKEA furniture they already own might be worth shipping. Which WAS the OP's question.

And as always, my prime intention here is to be helpful to people. I love people. I want to contribute to others. And I do it the best way I know how. YMMV

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
There are people constantly leaving the Islands, so there is a big supply of existing stuff already here. Garage sales and Craigslist makes the most sense for furniture. Bring as little as possible; far more often people arrive here and say they brought too much with them.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 10,072 times
There are plenty of deals on furniture on the island and shipping is pretty expensive from the mainland.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I have some shelves... steel frame but the board part of the shelf (the area you store things on, not the frame) are particle board laminated with what appears to be plastic. Has been assembled and holding my stuff up for over a year. It's doing fine. No disintegration, no termites.

My observation is that in most cases, it is cheaper to buy stuff over here than to transport it from the mainland. Plus you'll be buying climate appropriate stuff. Bring sentimental items only, sell or give the rest of your stuff away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island