U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM

55 posts, read 144,198 times
Default Price to ship car from san diego to hawaii?

I am looking to go to san diego and purchase a new 2013 explorer, and I was wondering how much does it cost to ship a vehicle to hilo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 PM

11,577 posts, read 9,251,107 times
Pasha quotes $1,074

Pasha Hawaii Transport Lines - Ships Automobile, Vehicle, Car, Motorcycle, Boat, Oversized Cargo to Hawaii

Matson and Horizon are the same

Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 9,098,642 times
Why not buy one in Hilo? Gas is running about $5 a gallon these days. Explorers don't get such good gas mileage.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Status: "It's hot in the tropics -mainland conspiracy?" (set 15 days ago)

4,941 posts, read 3,920,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why not buy one in Hilo? Gas is running about $5 a gallon these days. Explorers don't get such good gas mileage.
I don't know about Hilo markups and Explorers - but went car shopping for my wife in Honolulu and all of the Honda's on the lot were marked up $2,400 each above MSRP. One phone call to a dealer in LA - starting negotiation on Civic's were $1,800 below MSRP or a $4,200 difference - so even with the flight, a night of hotel, and shipping you are ahead even on a lower priced car depending on the dealership. Looking for a Lexus or a BMW in Honolulu - the deals are much better on the mainland.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't know about Hilo markups and Explorers - but went car shopping for my wife in Honolulu and all of the Honda's on the lot were marked up $2,400 each above MSRP. One phone call to a dealer in LA - starting negotiation on Civic's were $1,800 below MSRP or a $4,200 difference - so even with the flight, a night of hotel, and shipping you are ahead even on a lower priced car depending on the dealership. Looking for a Lexus or a BMW in Honolulu - the deals are much better on the mainland.
Don't forget the sales tax, which will run you roughly double in California. In San Diego a $35,000 car will cost about $1,300 in additional taxes, over buying in Hilo.

Sure, it's still a better deal, but that supposed $4,200 difference is really more like a $1,000 difference when it all shakes out.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Don't forget the sales tax, which will run you roughly double in California.
Sales tax works differently for cars - it is based on where you live. Otherwise I'd buy it in Oregon and no sales tax. You pay the Hawaii sales tax. No CA sales tax for the car. I've bought a lot of cars out state. When you buy a car in Oregon and if you are from Washington - they collect Washington tax at time of purchase. Cars are an exception.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Sales tax works differently for cars - it is based on where you live. Otherwise I'd buy it in Oregon and no sales tax. You pay the Hawaii sales tax. No CA sales tax for the car. I've bought a lot of cars out state. When you buy a car in Oregon and if you are from Washington - they collect Washington tax at time of purchase. Cars are an exception.
OK, so I learned something new today...

Not that it affects me, because I have no interest in doing that in any case. New cars depreciate too much, and with used cars I want to be able to reach out and touch the seller if there's a problem.

But as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks... in different places... at different times. On the mainland I liked cars that zoomed, but on the BI a rusty old pickup suits me fine. On the mainland I had an Explorer for a second car, to go camping in the mountains, but on the BI I wouldn't own one because the gas usage sucks.

It's all about what you find to be important.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,467,718 times
Quote:
Why even bother going there to purchase it? You can do it over the phone and sign papers delivered via FedEx, etc. They can arrange to have it dropped off at the dock too. It's a Civic. Other than color and LX or EX, etc, there is no difference. I wouldn't buy a California spec one anyway. Buy a 49 state version. As the other person mentioned, Oregon might be a good choice.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,467,718 times
There are 3 auto shippers (the rest are just brokers - avoid them) who ship to Hawaii.
Matson
Pasha
Horizon

The prices will be within a dollar or two of each other. Use the one that matches your ship from port to the schedule you need. No sense in having your vehicle sit on the dock for 2+ weeks while you wait for the ship to return.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Why even bother going there to purchase it? You can do it over the phone and sign papers delivered via FedEx, etc. They can arrange to have it dropped off at the dock too. It's a Civic. Other than color and LX or EX, etc, there is no difference. I wouldn't buy a California spec one anyway. Buy a 49 state version. As the other person mentioned, Oregon might be a good choice.
Yes, I believe you can avoid making the trip entirely. Regarding the "California spec" - that is the old days of the special California only emission certified cars - cars like the Civic and most cars today are 50 state certified since so many states made emission rules that matched California. LA is usually a good option for a new car since they seem to discount the price of the care the most - as opposed to the Bay Area or Seattle where the other launch points to Hawaii are. I don't think Oregon would be a good option since they'd have to ship the car to Seattle to get it to Hawaii.

For me - there is something about taking possesion of the car and taking it to the dock myself that gives me a better piece of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island