U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM

11,935 posts, read 9,715,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
$118 for 8 days is phenomenal... good job!
Yeah, their everyday banner rate is $120 for 7 Days, so that's a nice discount, about 12%.

Of course with all mandatory fees and taxes added their advertised rate of $120 comes out costing more like $220 at check-in, so I kind of doubt that $118 is the final charge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM

697 posts, read 620,045 times
"1. Get your car rental reservation immediately. Inventory of rental cars is limited. Go through discounthawaiicarrental.com for the best rates. All of the car rental companies except Enterprise are located at the airport."

I have used them (twice) to get the best deal. This time though, I tried them for both a HNL and ITO rental and they were a bit higher than going through the other outlets. Usually I go to hotwire or orbitz and see who has the lowest price, then go directly through that outfit's web site where you can usually get the same deal (sometimes lower if you can find a discount code somewhere) without having to enter your credit card like hotwire tried to make me do today.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 40,692 times
Hi

I just checked and the final charge is $204. After reading Big Island Revealed, I am starting to wonder if I should get a 4x4 instead of economy. The price is alot higher.

I am down to the wire. Wrapping up the school year. I have 2 weeks left, then I leave Valdez for Anchorage and then on to Kona. Very excited to go but at the same time nervous about flying over open ocean and driving over bridges on the Big Island. I guess you only live once.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM

2,770 posts, read 4,525,090 times
Don't waste your money on a 4x4. They aren't real 4-wheel drives, anyway (do a forum search if you want more info). I can't remember how long you'll be here, but there is lots to do without getting an expensive SUV.

Quit being so uptight. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people fly over the open ocean every day and survive. If you don't want to look at the large expanse of water, then sit in an aisle seat and don't look out the window.

What bridges on the Big Island are you concerned about? I can't think of any that would give anyone problems.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 AM

Hi

That is good to know about the 4x4. I would be much more comfortable in a compact car then drive something bigger that I am not used too.

I wish I can not be so uptight, but there is a reason. Shortly after Sep 11, I had to fly back east to visit my sister who was sent to U.S for medical reasons. My sister got sent to Germany instead. My parents and I still went. I remember seeing the remains of the twin towers while flying into JFK. That pretty much took care of me not flying for several years. I finally got on the plane about a year ago and since then I have racked up close to 19,000 miles. I suspect that once I take draminane and take off, I will be sound asleep. If not, I will rent a movie player and watch movies for 6 hrs.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM

697 posts, read 620,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Don't waste your money on a 4x4. They aren't real 4-wheel drives, anyway (do a forum search if you want more info). I can't remember how long you'll be here, but there is lots to do without getting an expensive SUV.

Quit being so uptight. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people fly over the open ocean every day and survive. If you don't want to look at the large expanse of water, then sit in an aisle seat and don't look out the window.

What bridges on the Big Island are you concerned about? I can't think of any that would give anyone problems.
I rented a full size SUV in December expecting it to be a one-wheeler-peeler (I rented it because I needed the space to haul stuff) and it was an AWD. I don't remember where I got it from though.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi again,

Got another question. I am flying into Kona around 8:30 pm on a Saturday. I will be fighting jet lag and the time difference. My plan is to get my luggage, get my rental car, check in to Kona Coast Resort and find a quick bite to eat before I hit the bed.

What are some good restaurants that will be open around 9:30 pm and is near my resort?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I got the Big Island Revealed Book. Amazing book. Well organized. I realized that I missed alot when I was there last time for only 4 days. Thankfully, I will be there for 8 nights for this trip.

Jennifer

Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 PM

2,770 posts, read 4,525,090 times
You're going to be very close to the Keauhou Shopping Center. My first pick would be Sam Choy's, but not sure how late they serve. L&L Hawaiian BBQ is also in the same shopping center. BIG difference between the two.

Maybe the front desk at the KCR would know what's open late.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM

11,935 posts, read 9,715,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My first pick would be Sam Choy's, but not sure how late they serve.
They normally close 9pm, Saturday night at 9:30.

Location | Sam Choy's Kai Lanai

L&L Kona closes 9pm Saturday.

L&L Hawaiian Barbecue L&L Drive-Inn

Travelers are often surprised how early most places close on the Big Island.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 12,939 times
Sam Choy's is only open until 9:30...don't think you'll make it. I don't believe any of the eating establishments at Keahou Shopping Center are open that late. You might want to consider finding something on Ali'i Drive in Kailua Kona on your way to the hotel. You'll probably not find any of these establishments on a top ten list, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Bubba Gump
Humpy's
Bongo Ben's
Pancho and Lefty's

You'll find that folks go to bed pretty early on the Big Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island