U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 AM

5,998 posts, read 9,779,871 times

Advertisements

Be careful of that Big Island Revealed book. Some of the places it recommends that you go to aren't places you should go. Some are across private property, some are dangerous, some have since been closed because too many people were going there because of the book.

What is okay for a few people to go to isn't good for herds of folks. When a property owner gives permission for one or two people to go across their property, it isn't permission for everyone to do it. So, just use a lot of common sense when reading that book. Also, don't let local folks see it, it's not the most favorite book around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM

Location: Hilo, not Key West, despite what lying stalkers post
1,392 posts, read 1,384,831 times
Thanks, I'll be sure to wrap mine in a plain brown wrapper.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM

40 posts, read 42,826 times
Hi

Thanks for the info about the book. I agree that you do have to have common sense when reading that book. My feeling is that you can't barge into a house unannounced then why do you think you can do that to someone's property. I for one will never do it. If I do, I will ask the property owner beforehand.

I will have a compact rental car so I am fully aware that I can't take my car on roads for only 4x4's. It goes back to common sense.

I think that the book gave me ideas on what I can do without disrupting other people's lives or property. I missed alot of the Big Island when I went last time for only 4 days. So I am excited to see more of the Big Island

Thanks

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM

13,023 posts, read 19,958,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
However, the "invisible cows" near the Mauna Kea Access Road should probably be more of a concern. There are even warning signs such as the one below...
Love that sign!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,537,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountryski View Post
I am flying into Kona around 8:30 pm on a Saturday. I will be fighting jet lag and the time difference. My plan is to get my luggage, get my rental car, check in to Kona Coast Resort and find a quick bite to eat before I hit the bed.
You will be passing by the intersection at Henry Street as you come into Kona from the airport. If I were you, I'd do a quick stop at Safeway on Henry St (open 24 hours, 809-329-2207) and grab a pre-made deli sandwich, something to drink, and head back to my car for the drive to the resort. Find out ahead of time if your room has a fridge, and if so, grab some juice and yogurt for a mini-breakfast.

As for using a tourist book as a guide for excursions, don't be mislead by thinking is you see "other people" crossing through a gate or fence, that you'll be OK to do it too. Stick to the county and state trails, and you'll find tons of places to explore without ending up in a shouting match along the way. Have fun!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 5,888,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Don't waste your money on a 4x4. They aren't real 4-wheel drives, anyway (do a forum search if you want more info).
Any SUV with a transfer case (one that offers low range) is a real 4x4.
That includes the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Patriot and Wrangler, Chevy Tahoe, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island