U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 AM

710 posts, read 662,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The type of grass used here actually doesn't grow that tall or that fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The way lawns should be!!
Maybe someone should market that to the mainland!
To answer all your questions:

It's zoysia grass, very common in Japanese-owned or previously-owned homes here.

It still takes a lot of work (and expensive reel mowers).

Probably because it's not frost tolerant.

I don't think the quick drainage explains slow growing grass. Zoysia will grow tall (6-8 inches) and natty or thin if not kept short and dense (see first image on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoysia).

Now for my question: who spends so much time on Google maps street view that they notice the lawns?

Last edited by KauaiHiker; 05-19-2012 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 AM

710 posts, read 662,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
That's a relief! We have flash floods here, they are horrid, and I lost a car to flooding where I lived previously. Both places, it takes a long time to drain.

Fascinating, it certainly gives me a no new perspective on grass in the Puna/Hilo side.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 AM

12,446 posts, read 18,412,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
To answer all your questions:

It's zoysia grass, very common in Japanese-owned or previously-owned homes here.

It still takes a lot of work (and expensive reel mowers).

Probably because it's not frost tolerant.

I don't think the quick drainage explains slow growing grass. Zoysia will grow tall (6-8 inches) and natty or thin if not kept short and dense (see first image on Zoysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Now for my question: who spends so much time on Google maps street view that they notice the lawns?
ZOYSIA GRASS...learning something new everyday.

Interesting it's not frost tolerant. The grass DOES seem different in Japan, however most of Japan does get frost in the winter. Perhaps it's origins are from Okinawa, or some parts of Kyushu that don't get frost, for whatever reason.

Regarding people on google maps...I'm on google maps right now!! I love all types of maps anyways...so gravitated fairly quickly to google maps...

Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 AM

Location: Hilo, not Key West, despite what lying stalkers post
1,392 posts, read 1,261,807 times
Maps and charts are indeed fascinating. However, I've never been able to zoom in closely enough to see grass heights.

In your opening post, you wonder about not many opportunities to cut grass. Rain just doesn't seem to stop the lawn men, ours was cut this week during a solid day of rain.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM

239 posts, read 246,789 times
The grass we had grew more sideways than straight up, so it didn't need to be mowed that often. We did, however, have to pull it out of areas we didn't want it to go. As far as it being too wet...it usually dried out quickly. We had an area that needed lawn and so we just took pieces/strands of the other lawn in our yard and buried one end under the soil. In no time at all we had a whole new lawn for free and it was really nice. Overall, it was pretty easy to take care of.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 AM

5,687 posts, read 9,106,016 times
If the grass was moving sideways, it might have been "centipede" grass. That's another nice choice for a low growing lawn.

There are several varieties of zoysia, too. We've had one which was a really dark green and about six to eight inches tall called "dragon's beard". That was a nice grass and we still have it tucked around here and there. It was originally tucked between the rocks on a dry stacked rock wall and made the whole wall nice and green. There is also another type of zoysia which is much smaller - about two inches tall - and has a much finer blade and is a much lighter color. Dunno what it's name is, though.

Generally, folks in Hawaii aren't as fussy about their lawns as similar sorts of folks on the mainland, at least, from what I've noticed. It might be that lawns around here are always green and always need mowing so being fussy about them being perfect would be way too much work.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,430,945 times
We planted El Toro Zoysia in our yard near South Point. It's drought tolerant (no irrigation system) and doesn't need much cutting. Of course, it's only in a small part of our yard. The rest is pineapple plants and mango trees and banana trees and a vegetable garden........

Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 10,442 times
If you like green, never complain about rain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island