Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times

Advertisements

Recently transplanted to the BI from Alaska with a teenage daughter. And she is bored out of her mind. Any good recommendations or activities where she can meet girls her age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM

406 posts, read 865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Recently transplanted to the BI from Alaska with a teenage daughter. And she is bored out of her mind. Any good recommendations or activities where she can meet girls her age?
How about hula lessons Hawaii Island Hula Halau - Big Island Hula Schools and Performerss and THIS MONTH AT THE EHCC , ukulele and guitar lessons Hilo Guitars News and Events , volunteer at the Hilo Palace Theatre Palace Volunteer! .

Just off the top of my head, and maybe not all are things that a young girl would want to do.

Mickey

Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 AM

124 posts, read 431,865 times
Sports. Is she interested in sports? Volleyball? Basketball? How about volunteering? Is she a member
of a church? Church related volunteering and activties? Part time job? Has she looked at the possibilty
of a part time job of some sort?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
Volunteer at the library...the animal shelter...any local special events...the Mokupapapa Discovery Center.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
Are there any Girl Scout troops around?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM

124 posts, read 431,865 times
How about tutoring younger kids with their reading and/or math??

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM

How old is your daughter and what are her interests?

Is she artsy/craftsy? Have her learn flameworking (glassblowing with a torch). She can make beads, which usually are great sellers, and sculptures. And if she likes working with hot glass, she can learn off-hand (from a furnace) glassblowing. There are several good studios in Hawaii that may teach warm and hot glass. Warm glass is fusing glass in a kiln. Beads, bowls, decorative items can be made this way. I've been around a couple of teenagers learning hot glass work. They got pretty good at it too. (And yes, I've taken lessons in off-hand glassblowing and beadmaking too.)

Or ceramics can be a fun thing to do. Throw pots on a wheel, make sculptures, etc. Several ceramics studios in Hawaii, too.

Make cigar box ukuleles - don't laugh, check Cigar Box Nation - #1 resource for Cigar Box Guitars, Free Plans, How-To, Parts & More! and Handmade Music Clubhouse for information, plans and help. (Working on building some myself. I've already built an electric guitar, but that was around 1959 or so.)

One thing that seems to be very popular in Hawaii is quilting. See Hawaii Quilt Guild and Hawaiian quilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , although quilting is usually seen as something an older person would do - but ya gotta learn sometime and starting as a teenager is as good a time as any.

One idea that may seem offbeat is flying a sailplane. You can solo at 14 and get a private pilot - glider rating at 16. It can be a tad expensive, but also is not boring. Check Soaring Society of America, the source for Gliding in the USA for more information. (Another one I'd like to get into.)

Remember, Google is your friend when looking for places to learn these things.

Wait - where's may box? Gotta start thinking inside it again!

Mickey

Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
What are the hobbies that she already has? Trying to tie into those could be a place to start. [Horses? Art? Karate? Reading/writing? Theater? Swimming? etc.]

Not much help until after the next 6 or so weeks, but the best place to meet girls her own age will be school.

Maybe this site will give some ideas: Hilo Teens

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Please do not take offense.

Why did you move a young teenager, especially a girl, to the Big Island? This is an extremely rough place to bring a child to.
Yep, shoulda left her back on the mainland. And all the keiki born there should be sent to the mainland as soon as they are born. And we all know there are no rough places on the mainland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
What are the hobbies that she already has? Trying to tie into those could be a place to start. [Horses? Art? Karate? Reading/writing? Theater? Swimming? etc.]

Not much help until after the next 6 or so weeks, but the best place to meet girls her own age will be school.

Maybe this site will give some ideas: Hilo Teens
That looks like a great site for info about teen activities.

Mickey

Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Please do not take offense.

Why did you move a young teenager, especially a girl, to the Big Island? This is an extremely rough place to bring a child to.
Please do not take offense as I judge your life choices without knowing anything about you or your situation. Oh, and I won't bother to offer any helpful advice, either. Just judgment.

ps Best of luck to you & your daughter. I wish I could offer help, but I'm not as familiar with BI activities as others on the forum. (Except as a tourist... going back on Saturday for a week of much-needed vacation!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island