U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,625,590 times
If you're talking about just availability of solar and being away from civilization, it wouldn't get much better than the American West. Farming though is another story

Here's a solar map, the big island is about equivalent with the midwest as far as kw/hr per year.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 06:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2012, 03:49 AM

5,148 posts, read 7,934,276 times
Thanks guyz! *blush* Shootz, the answers aren't much, I'm just spending too much time at the keyboard again!

This is an easy topic since we have a garden, fish and have a pig trap and have spent decades not attached to the electric grid although for the past year we've had grid power. Plus we have a lot of friends who are off grid and other friends who are trying to be sustainable, etc., so these topics get discussed a lot.

Unread 08-14-2012, 02:06 PM

61 posts, read 39,212 times
Agree with Snikt...I live in the Southwest and am on solar exclusively. Lacking for nothing power-wise. It's great 'cause the grid goes down alot around here. But, as stated, gardening is a losing proposition for most unless they have "water rights" to a river or stream. It's the desert....

But I feel like I have escaped the rat-race living 40 min. from anything. Buying locally produced produce and meat...so supporting those who CAN garden. It does feel good to live this way. But I do have a job!

Unread 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,007 times
That's a good observation that I've been finding to be true. I've still been enjoying talking to folks, though. It's brought back a lot of memories of my own childhood living on a farm.

Unread 08-29-2012, 03:05 AM

Location: Hilo, not Key West, despite what lying stalkers post
1,392 posts, read 1,025,235 times
Perhaps not of help to the OP but what the heck..we are SHOCKED at how inexpensive fresh food is here. It is amazingly cheap. We bought a lot of produce at the Hilo Farmer's Market on Saturday and we could not believe how beautiful the produce was and how inexpensive. Some forum regulars know I moved from the Virgin Islands where things are expensive but...even by Florida standards (I lived in Florida before USVI) the produce is SO CHEAP and SO BEAUTIFUL.

Today, spouse went into a local grocery (unsure which one as I was out with the other car and now he is asleep) but he bought the most beautiful head of local lettuce we've ever seen for only...sit down...$1.19. Same head of lettuce would not be available in USVI or Florida but if it was...probably $4 to $6 or more. We also bought a lot of fresh fish at Suisan, it was so awesome and a couple of dollars per pound below Florida rates.

We're not off the grid but we are being mindful of electricity costs. Our delicious water is free. We never watch TV and just asked the landlord to remove the TV that we asked them to not provide, but they provided anyway (they didn't believe us when we said we do NOT watch and do NOT want TV). So, no satellite or cable costs. Just incredibly cheap high-speed internet for us.

We are divers but haven't dived here yet (we just got here Thursday!) We have a dive lined up this weekend...lobster season opens Sept. 1.

Unread 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 6,818,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
we are SHOCKED at how inexpensive fresh food is here. It is amazingly cheap. We bought a lot of produce at the Hilo Farmer's Market on Saturday and we could not believe how beautiful the produce was and how inexpensive...

...Today, spouse went into a local grocery (unsure which one as I was out with the other car and now he is asleep) but he bought the most beautiful head of local lettuce we've ever seen for only...sit down...$1.19. Same head of lettuce would not be available in USVI or Florida but if it was...probably $4 to $6 or more. We also bought a lot of fresh fish at Suisan, it was so awesome and a couple of dollars per pound below Florida rates.
I'm glad to hear you're settling in so quickly, and having such a good time. Yes, fresh local produce and fish are quite reasonable, in my experience, especially at the farmers markets. It's the processed foods that have to be hauled in from the mainland that give people sticker shock at the supermarkets.

I also get a lot of fun out of discovering unfamiliar foods that are locally grown. Breadfruit, soursop, purple sweet potatoes, rambutan, calamonsi and winged beans are just a few of the foods i first encountered at the Hilo Farmers Market.

I also like the Kino'ole Farmers Market in South Hilo. It's much smaller, not so crowded, and I often find plants and flowers I like there:
Kino'ole Farmers Market, Saturday, 7 am - noon
Hilo at the Kino'ole Shopping Plaza (old Sure Save market location) at 1990 Kinoole. Hawai'i grown and produced vegetables, fruits and potted plants, fresh baked breads, and free demonstrations. Delan (Rusty) Perry (938-4545) dperry@papayas.net
Not to mention, there are farmers markets located all over the island, different days and times. It's fun to look them up when you are in different parts of the island at the appropriate times. The varieties of what people offer up for sale at these markets is astounding.

These folks maintain a good list of the farmers markets around the island that I refer to in my wanderings:

Hawai'i Homegrown Food Network - Farmers Markets, CSA's and Community Gardens

Unread 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks, I've seen the locations of the other markets online before moving (but those links will help others I'm sure). Since we come from the same latitude, we are finding that the produce is very familiar and makes us feel at home. Except for the loooow prices! WOW food is so cheap here. We don't eat a lot of processed foods but if we do, they are still half of STX prices.

I found out what IS expensive here (besides milk which we detest anyway) and that is TP and paper towels. But go figure, they are high volume when loaded in the shipping container and must pay their way. We will be using cloth towels a LOT more than we did previously. TP, oh well, can't be avoided, lol.

Unread 08-31-2012, 12:16 AM

Well, certainly food in US states is a true bargain compared to US territories. We are totally enjoying Hilo'sfood prices.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-31-2012 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Unread 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,232 times
Aloha
I relaize this is an older thread but I had to agree with Hilo Diver....food costs are the same or higher in the USVI than in the Hilo area. I was born in St Thomas and even though the US Flag flies over the territory.....thats about the ONLY thing that is the same as the mainland...it is much like its Caribbean neighbors as far as being 3rd World. I'm also planning on moving to the Big Island in the next year and will be coming in the next months for an extended visit to look at properties and to get a "feel" of what its like to live there. Hilo Diver, I think the USVI is the only place under the US flag where one can buy a 5th of Cruzan Rum cheaper than a 1/2 gallon of OJ or 2 liter of coke. I remember the "old days" where you could get that 5th for 99 cents on sale at Pueblo or Grand Union (I'm goin back to the late 80's when I went back home on leave with a buddy of mine in the Army... he still talks about that to this day...lol) and the 2 liter cost almost 3.00. Also I've noticed some talking about Local Hawaiians being "racist" towards whites. It sounds like Locals are much like the USVI and Puerto Rico... they have seen folks moving down to "Paradise" and finding out Paradise has bugs, a totally different culture, and expect a mainland style of doing things. They don't understand that the islands operate on "Island Time", they expect things to be done the way they do it in Cali or even Ohio, they don't try to understand or respect the culture, and bottom line is the locals see folks coming and going like a revolving door. It has nothing to do with color 99% of the time...its the attitude. Mahalo! to all the regulars who reach out and try to explain tings to those of us who dream of life in Hawaii. This forum has been a blessing and I'll be asking questions of my own in the coming months but thus far....I've found every answer by existing threads!

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Aloha, pentecostalsquirrel!!! We recently left STX...oh yah, it is definitely third world...and rum was indeed very cheap, but a bit more than you recall (but a fraction of what it is here!!) The 750ml bottle of Cruzan went for 6.99-7.99 locally (a bit more in convenience stores) and the 1.5l bottle for $11.99-12.99. And it's the best rum in my opinion, snobby food writers be damned! Luckily, we can get Cruzan here in Long's but the 750ml bottle is 9.99 when it's on sale. To compare, 1/2 gallon of OJ is under $5 on STX and 2l of Coke under $3, usually about $1.99.

I'm going to add that while I found STX to be outrageously racist, I've yet to see it here in HI and yes, we get around. We have met nothing but gracious people of all heritages and skin tones. Of course we had many many friends of color on STX, but local strangers hated us on sight and used to say some incredibly rude things. I'd just smile and walk away from their nonsense. On Big Island, our outdoor sports put us in frequent contact with the "locals" all over the island, and they are super sweet and always have ready smiles for us, frequently good advice too. We are delighted we made this move, and unlike most, we didn't put a lot of thought or research into it...spouse got a job offer and we packed it up, I only had to wait for the dogs to serve titers before I got on the plane. People said we needed to live here for a while before living here (huh? lol) but I still don't see the need...at least not for someone who is leaving a third world country to live in a first world country. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island