Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 AM

160 posts, read 485,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you read the whole thread 1) the OP is already on the island at this point, and 2) much of the specific advice people kicked in about the very active schedule being planned was about checking websites daily for weather forecast, volcano forecast, traffic updates, opening hours, uploading photos, etc.

For many folks, myself included, having regular access to a computer and a connection while traveling... or at the very least, a smart phone and data plan... is far too important a travel tool to leave to chance. Unplugging from any work communication while on vacation is simply a matter of self-discipline.
Seriously Open? I have yet to find any web service that is accurate in predicting any weather. I weatherbug my zip, 96785, and it's NEVER right lol. As far as vog things go, my kids go to Volcano school and take the breath tests so I get a report about vog levels and patters. So far I found that much more reliable than any web service.
I guess it depends on the type of person you are tho. I KNOW that if my hubby saw some blinking email from his boss, hed have to click on it. Can't really blame anyone either, jobs are scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Seriously Open? I have yet to find any web service that is accurate in predicting any weather. I weatherbug my zip, 96785, and it's NEVER right lol. As far as vog things go, my kids go to Volcano school and take the breath tests so I get a report about vog levels and patters. So far I found that much more reliable than any web service.
This is current air quality index for key locations. Quick and easy, and real time info:

http://www.hiso2index.info/

This is an experimental project that is quite interesting...

Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Home

Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Folks use their phones as a GPS to get to places these days. My DH uses his to go to Hilo town, although why, I dunno. It's not like there's more than one road. I think he just likes to see if it works and he finds the person trying to pronounce Hawaiian street names amusing.

I know folks that use their phones as a doorbell. They call the person inside instead of walking up to the door. Pretty soon folks will be issued a cell phone at birth, I think. Hmm, now if they find out all these cell phone emissions are brain damaging....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,479 times
Hiked the green sands beach today, no issues or anything that even felt unsafe. Everyone has been nice so far and I haven't seen "broken glass everywhere" or anything like that

Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM

97 posts, read 279,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Hiked the green sands beach today, no issues or anything that even felt unsafe. Everyone has been nice so far and I haven't seen "broken glass everywhere" or anything like that
Nice to hear and I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Did you see turtles at the green sand beach? There are usually a few laying about over there.

Glad to hear you are having a lovely visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island