Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM

28,564 posts, read 18,570,253 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm a medium-dark black guy (about the tone of Denzel Washington). It takes me a full summer of working in the sun to get a "farmer's tan" in the midwest (Oklahoma through Nebraska).

I went to Oahu and got one by the second day. After a couple of days of bicycling, I had Y-marks on the sides of my face from the helmet straps.

I had a couple of white friends there--one male, one female--who have suffered the removal of their ears because of skin cancer. Never knew that to happen to anyone in Oklahoma, not even farmers who had spent their entire lives in the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I had a couple of white friends there--one male, one female--who have suffered the removal of their ears because of skin cancer.
You must have friends with some very bad luck - I've never roamed the islands and seen anyone with missing ears.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,794,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You must have friends with some very bad luck - I've never roamed the islands and seen anyone with missing ears.
I am am really looking forward to reading what Jungjohann writes about this!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM

28,564 posts, read 18,570,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They had been serious with outdoor sports--particularly surfing. They wore visors and baseball caps that gave them no protection for their ears. That's why I always wear hats with wide brims all around. I've never been sunburned, but skin cancer doesn't require burning, just enough accumulated radiation.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
It's nothing to joke about. A friend just had a piece of his nose removed in February due to a skin cancer. Fortunately, today plastic surgery and silicon prosthetics help keep such surgery from being as disfiguring as it used to be.

Overall about 1 in 5 Americans develop skin cancers, and 1 in 50 develop the most dangerous kind, called melanomas, which can kill you if left untreated. And for reasons that should be obvious, the ears are the third most common place they occur.

Not to mention that Hawai'i has the highest rate of skin cancers in the country, due to our proximity to the equator and outdoor lifestyles, which gives us higher exposure to the most harmful rays. Use sunblock, and wear big brimmed hats and long sleeve shirts as much as possible to keep sun off the most vulnerable areas.

Save your skin - Hawaii Features - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Last edited by OpenD; 06-11-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Sunglasses that block UV rays, too. No need to fry the eyes.

Folks going to Hanauma Bay usually forget the sunblock on the backs of their ears and get nasty sunburns there.

The sun really ages the skin, too. We visited Alaska where they don't get as much sun on them as we do here and some of the folks we talked to were older - eighty plus - but they didn't look over what we are used to seeing as fifty or sixty.

Usta be, we're talking back in the sixties, here - folks in the MidWest would mix baby oil with iodine and use that as tanning lotion. Someone tried that on Waikiki beach and ended up in the emergency room for burns. Heck of a way to spend a vacation. They'd been warned, but didn't listen, too.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
No rain this January in California, reservoir levels are running low.

As a result, the snowpack in the Sierras--a critical reservoir of water that is used throughout the rest of the year--is abysmally low, running about 30% of normal for this time of year. California's eight largest reservoirs are 33% - 86% below their historical average, and the portion of the state covered by the highest level of drought expanded in mid-January--a very ominous occurrence for the height of the rainy season.

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : California Drought Worsening During Height of Rainy Season | Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island