Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 AM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times

Advertisements

I spotted a can of Rambutan in the market.

Not bad. It tastes like firm textured canned grapes. Perhaps not exciting enough to buy more of it, but I suspect it is probably better when eaten fresh.

I'd never heard of it. I had to google it to see what it is. There are so many tropical fruits that I am not familiar with. I'm looking forward to learning what they are and figuring out how to grow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
I don't know what the season might be for rambutan, but I see them for sale fresh at the farmers markets when I look for them during hot weather.

They don't have a lot of taste, but they are juicy and sweet and thirst quenching. Kind of like a lychee fruit.

Basically you cut around the spiny red skin and pop it open to free the translucent gelatinous fruit inside. To me it looks like a dragon eyeball with the big black seed in the center. Don't eat the seed.

http://www.rambutan.com/

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,034,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Looks like a dragon eyeball.
Which you have seen WHERE???

I thought we had all of the same fruit in the USVI as Hawai'i until I saw dragonfruit.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Quote:
I thought we had all of the same fruit in the USVI as Hawai'i until I saw dragonfruit.
I love Dragon Fruit. Love, love, love them. Sooo exotic looking, but again, not a lot of taste. Still very refreshing. And they just make me smile, because they're so cool.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 AM

987 posts, read 1,379,921 times
Quote:

Rambutan also came to mind too, because we have it here in the Philippines like Hawaii does!
We also have dragon fruit where the insides are white or red, but I don't care for the taste though, hard to described it. I also hear that dragon fruit is good for the control of blood sugar for those with Diabetes type 2!
Benefits Of Dragon Fruit | LIVESTRONG.COM
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon-fruit-3.jpg
Views:	12104
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	100975

Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
We also have dragon fruit where the insides are white or red, but I don't care for the taste though, hard to described it. I also hear that dragon fruit is good for the control of blood sugar for those with Diabetes type 2!
I've only had the white. KTA supermarkets in Hilo often have them.

The red that are sold mostly come from Costa Rica, I think, and if you eat a lot of the red ones they turn your pee and poo red!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
So do fresh beets, for the color changing effect. Just keep that in mind if you are surprised, it's not a condition that needs medical treatment.

Here's a link to Plant it Hawaii which is a nursery above Hilo which is probably the best source for a lot of these different tropical fruits. They've expanded the varieties they carry since the last time I looked at their list. LINK - Plant It Hawaii Exotics. Their fall sale (when you can go to their farm and buy just one or two trees instead of having to meet their wholesale amount) is coming up in November.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh wow. Look at all those interesting fruits carried by Plant It Hawaii. I want at least one of each.

I suppose it would be smarter to buy fruit at the farmers market and taste before planting trees. Or maybe not. Maybe just have them to have them.

There are so many varieties of banana. I want lots of varieties. And all the citrus and coffee and cocoa and avocados.

If I have to give up my iris collection, at least I can have banana plants. And camellias (I hope), and gardenias.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM

That Durian, is that the one that smells so bad? I may have to pass on that one.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Durian is the stinky one, yes.

It is delicious tasting, like a delicate custard, and it's considered a superfood by some health experts and raw food gurus. I went to a wedding in Brooklyn once where one of of these folk brought a half dozen of these big fruits as a special treat, but if you wanted to taste some you had to go out to the far corner of the big commercial kitchen, where he was sequestered with his treats, under a big exhaust fan.

Durian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click image for larger version

Name:	Durian.jpg
Views:	14564
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	100997

Last edited by OpenD; 09-13-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island