Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,289,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegeemaree View Post
Am I crazy to think that I should be able to find some sort of work and make this move work?
I wouldn't say you are crazy, but I think you may not be well informed.

Job listings get placed on Craig's List for many reasons. One of them is to find qualified applicants for an actual job opening.

Other reasons include:
  • Farming for potential clients for employment agencies, temp agencies, and training schools. Have you ever noticed that a lot of the ads repeat, month after month after month?
  • Building a file of qualified applicants for a job opening that might occur in the future.
  • Creating an appearance of fairness around a hiring decision that has already been made by advertising the position as if it were actually open.
  • Using an ad for an attractive sounding job as bait to try to fill a less attractive job. "I'm sorry that position has already been filled, and i don't have anything else like it. But wait... oh, look! I DO have this one other opening you qualify for... it isn't full-time, like you wanted, and it doesn't pay as well, but it IS a job!"

Yes, there are legitimate jobs that show up on Craig's List. Not everything is a scam.

On the other hand, there are a couple of other unique things about the culture of job seeking in Hawai'i that you might not know but which affect how it all really works... like the fact that the ohana (extended family) network is so strong that somebody's third cousin's boyfriend is far more likely to be hired than you (and might already be lined up for the job before the ad is placed). Like the fact that Hawai'i employers are required to provide health insurance to everyone working over 20 hours a week, so many will hire 2-20 hr/wk workers over 1-40 hr/wk worker wherever possible. That's why so many Hawaiians work 2 or even 3 part time jobs. And another is that unless there is a shortage of workers in your specific field on the islands, applying before you actually live in Hawai'i is a waste of time. Oh, and until you've been resident for at least two years you will be considered a flight risk so it's hard to find a top job anyway. You have to be willing to start over at the bottom in your field.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just to guide your expectations to something realistic. It takes organization and effort to find a job in Hawai'i and just scanning Craig's List won't tell you a lot or get you a lot, on average. Some employers don't use Craig's List at all. Some use conventional newspaper advertising, some use the free listings that the State Dept of labor and Unimployment office provide. Still other prefer to try people out first before committing to a permanent arrangement by hiring them as contractors, through Temp agencies.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/

http://www.staradvertiser.com/

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/hawaii/default.cfm

http://hawaii.gov/labor/HIRE.NET/HIRE.NET

I hope you find this is helpful. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM

39 posts, read 73,240 times
Open D - thank you so much for the time you took to write this! Yes, I have heard what you have said here before...and I did not properly represent myself...I have done more than scan craigslist. I do appreciate the list of references above - (and I've copied them all over to my e-mail so I can continue to use them) and I checked them all out as well as "monster". There seem to be more than just a few jobs that I qualify for. I also have a friend and her husband living on the west side of the island that I will ask more about the job market. But as an example - I am currently living in Riverside County, CA which has a much higher unemployment rate than the Big Island and I had a job here in less than a month. I'm 58, tons of diversified experience and not afraid to "do what it takes" to pay the bills. If it's legal and moral, I'll give it a whirl! I'm a little more drawn to the Hilo side and have already been referred to a temp. agency there...hey, I've done that before too - no problem. YES your posting was informative and helpful - and I am not really discouraged, just "better armed". I have some savings, a "can-do" attitude and a love of adventure and different cultures - I think I may enjoy Hawaii quite a lot.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,289,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegeemaree View Post
Open D - thank you so much for the time you took to write this!
You are very welcome. I'm glad you found it useful

Quote:
YES your posting was informative and helpful - and I am not really discouraged, just "better armed". I have some savings, a "can-do" attitude and a love of adventure and different cultures - I think I may enjoy Hawaii quite a lot.
Good for you. And with your attitude, you may enjoy Hawai'i, as I certainly do. A quick fact-check shows Hilo being about 22% more expensive than Riverside, with Food being the biggest difference, but that is based on a standard market basket, which includes a lot of processed foods. If you do as I do, and as several of the other posters here do and change your habits to fit the local economy, you may find the differences much less overall. In California I ran the AC all the time, in Hawai'i I don't even own an AC. In Hawai'i I buy the majority of my food from local growers at farmer's markets. In California I was in my car driving long distances multiple times a day. In Hawai'i I walk a lot, drive only when I have to, which is not often. And so on...

The hardest thing about giving and getting advice on forums like this is that people are so different, and yet everybody thinks their way of doing things is normal. So you ask a question from your perspective, and typically get a lot of responses from very different perspectives. It can be hard to wade through all the noise sometimes. Some seekers should not come to Hawai'i, others really should. Good luck in figuring out which camp you belong in...

And if you do come to Hawai'i, just follow the usual caveats we keep posting and reposting here... expect to be surprised, in ways you cannot anticipate... have a good exit strategy, in case things don't work out for you... come with an open heart and mind... focus on what is good and valuable here, not on what is missing here... be friendly, smile and wave, but don't be pushy... learn to live with less... never send money for a place until you have actually seen it in person.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,037,386 times
Another wise post from OpenD.

Because we buy most of our food from the local markets, we find our grocery bill to be low. We buy little to no processed foods, we don't even like milk so don't buy it, we don't drink soda or buy much in the way of snacks, etc. etc. Another way to keep food costs down, although not so healthy, is to have a big plate lunch for lunch and you won't be hungry for dinner. Plate lunches seem to be around $6-7 or so in town. No, we don't do this, lol. Gasoline is expensive, but if you live close to either where you work or where you play, it isn't really that bad. Find a friend to ride share when you go to the other coast for shopping or whatever. Because we don't use A/C, our electric bill is incredibly low. We dress casual and we paid cash for used cars.

I know of a nice and safe furnished place to live temporarily while you are looking. We had booked it and then we found our rental home so didn't need it after all, but we personally know of it. PM me if interested. It's not mine but I can recommend it.

Altres is a great temp agency with a great reputation, or so I'm told. And all of the big box stores at Prince Kuhio Plaza are looking for retail help.

There are an amazing number of friendly, active people here in your age range. The majority retired early and are working but now, working for themselves at something they love, or working part time for extra money for travel and fun. There's a great arts scene here and actually TOO much to do.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Pm

[quote=HiloDiver;26479523]Another wise post from OpenD.

I know of a nice and safe furnished place to live temporarily while you are looking. We had booked it and then we found our rental home so didn't need it after all, but we personally know of it. PM me if interested. It's not mine but I can recommend it.

I must be looking in the wrong spot...no idea how to PM on this site How do I do this?

I also remember you sharing info about a vet when one brings one's creatures over - I am bringing my cat and have begun that process with my vet here (thankfully they have helped 10 people get their creatures to HI so far, so they have been through the process).

My target date is May 2013

Thank you to everyone for all your help and advice so far - I'll be seeking more as the date gets closer, I am sure

MAHALO!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,587,358 times
To send a private message, just click on the person's "name" that shows up in blue at the top of their post. You'll get a pull down menu and one of the options is to send a private message.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
To send a private message, just click on the person's "name" that shows up in blue at the top of their post. You'll get a pull down menu and one of the options is to send a private message.

Well, I tried all those icons UNDER the name - I should have kept on pointing and clicking...Thank you

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,755,512 times
I was thinking about this thread today as I was driving around the Big Island - and while there is farming, manufacturing, tourism issues - I think this forum goes to some of the root causes of the Big Island economy - who is moving to the Big Island. I read so much about yurts, unpermitted houses, desiring 400 sq ft houses or less, moving for cheap land, living a bare bones existance, only place I can afford, etc....it just doesn't lend itself to stimulating the Big Island economy.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,791,074 times
The construction industry (the building of large resort and residential areas on the West side, which are built during the booming years) is a gauge of the Big Islands economy. Think about ... say ... 2007. The Kainalui Crawl was a direct result of all the South Kona folks driving north daily to the Gold Coast for work. Saddle Road practically had its own version or "rush hour" with the Hilo people coming over. It was your good luck trying to getting a parking stall at Kona airport on a Friday afternoon, you'd have been in competition with the Oahu workers going home for the weekend.

Construction now has really dried up. The roads are hardly ever as busy as they were 5 years ago. The airport is less jammed from workers. You get the picture.

So now, without the investors buying into the new mega-buck developments, WHTViper has an intesting point in his observation above: Many of what remains of the mainland "wants to move here" are those who are looking for "Hawaii on the cheap". [And the few middle-class people who have managed to save and plan enough to make the move.]

Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 25,340 times
Again, what are the type of Business and/or Jobs that many of you on the BI desire and/or would like to see?

Please Explain:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island