Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
What are your thoughts about areas just north or just south of Kona (and not right in Kona, but following along the shore line) - are they as effected by the vog?
Well north of Kona, there's less problem. Seems to me Waikoloa and Waimea are probably better than any other part of the island.

Here's a real time advisory map that you can use to monitor the vog levels all around the Big Island. Today's a good day, all green. But if you refresh it at regular intervals for a few weeks you can start developing a sense for how the patterns work.

Hawaii Short Term SO2 Advisory

Here's a lot of factual info:

Big Island Vog Index

Quote:
But the 3 short fun months don't make up for the 9 long miserable ones
I know... my condolences... I lived there for one miserable year of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Regarding your question on rain in Hilo - if you just there this past April - you'd probably say to yourself, what rain? (March was a "normal" month with 13 inches of rain and flooding). In October, you'd be downright giddy, 1.5 inches of rain in a month that normally get almost 10 inches of rain. So far this month, Hilo has gotten around 3 inches of rain in month that averages 15 inches of rain. The Big Island is in a severe drought - and that includes Hilo. If things stay the way they are - you'll not find Hilo very rainy at all.

When/if Hilo gets back to "normal" rain patterns - its driest month is still wetter than than the wettest month in Pacific Northwest cities like Seattle and Portland with usual monthly totals of 8 to 15 inches.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM

151 posts, read 329,886 times
Very cool real time tool, OpenD, thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Interesting WhtVpr1...what do you attribute that to? Global warming? Bizarre.

Regardless, from your info on the driest month still being the wettest in the Pacific NW, I'd rather not risk the rain ruining my precious free time, which I want to spend outdoors. Would rather sweat in the sun

Old 11-15-2012, 05:11 PM

OpenD, I'll see your one year of living here in misery and raise you 34

If you have lived here - even for a short while - you know firsthand why I want to move to Hawaii

Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
Interesting WhtVpr1...what do you attribute that to? Global warming? Bizarre.

Regardless, from your info on the driest month still being the wettest in the Pacific NW, I'd rather not risk the rain ruining my precious free time, which I want to spend outdoors. Would rather sweat in the sun
I believe global warming is real - but that might not be the cause of the latest Hawaii drought.

Many parts of the state had all-time record low rain in October.

I'm not an expert - but I believe El Nino is the more common reason - our typical "Kona" storms have been practically non-existent and I believe it has to do of how high pressure settles over the pacific in the winter blocking the soaking storms that come from the south.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Rainfall in the Islands has been in a steady decline for the past 30 years. Sad but true.

aloha.. how dry i am

Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM

28 posts, read 134,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
If you were to go back to Hawaii to live, would you go to the same area or...? Also, what would you do differently the next time around?
Hi McFrosty; Since we lived on the rainy side, (yes, I wouldn't mind going back to Ninole) I would make sure we had a heat source like at least one gas fireplace to deter the mold/mildew and the inevitable 'thinning of the blood' that happens after 1-2 years. Also, we learned afterrrrrrrrrrrr we sold our house that the wind mill was the wrong size and that was why we had virtually no help from it (we were off grid).

Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM

28 posts, read 134,982 times
mommyofmanykids...some more info you requested.

As for the catchment, the liners on the tanks only last a few years. We also had a reverse osmosis system and the water tasted fabulous although we stillll used a Brita justttttttt to make sure of purity.

If we were to move back, it still would likely be to the Hilo side. I would just insist on a gas fireplace to keep the dampness/mold/mildew at bay. I wanted one, but somehow it didn't happen...I didn't lobby hard enough...ha!

I may have mistakenly said we were at 1700 feet when actually it was 700 ft. elevation. It was extremelyyyyyyy windy as we lived on a knoll overlooking the Maalua Gulch...sooooooo if anyone goes through the gulch look up and you will see 'my' house...latte in color with white trim and green metal roof; ohhhhhhhh I'm starting to get homeeeeee sickkkkkk!!!!!!!!!! You see it best coming frommmmmmmm Lapahoehoe driving south.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
The Big Island has been in drought for several years, and it's had a huge impact on farming and ranching. Kona Coffee production is down, for example. I had a conversation with a neighbor about two years ago concerning some large water tanks he had scattered around his home in Volcano. He said he was using them to catch and haul water for his cattle further up the slope because otherwise he'd have to cut his herd since rainfall is so low. And the big herds up at Parker Ranch have been cut back because the pastures

At the same time, there has been a broad drought in the mainland the last several years, and this year was the worst drought on record. And there's no end in sight, according to weather experts.

Is it climate change? Nobody knows. But personally I'm feeling quite concerned about the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island