Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
I'm going to need to write all of this down. Wealth of info. Thanks!

You're welcome, but there's no need to write it all down... it will still be here when you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM

151 posts, read 330,003 times
And how windy is windy? I've heard Waikoloa is really windy. As in, blowing stuff all around, or just a constant breeze? Creates too many rough waves for my kids to swim? Ruins a golf game? A soft breeze is nice, strong winds, not so much....

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Looks like Waikoloa K-8th is one of the best schools on the Big Island. Love that. Also looks like mostly retired people -which is fine by me.

What are your thoughts on the Captain Cook area as my other community to consider raising my family? How are the schools and beaches in the Captain Cook area? Seems there are decent houses for $300K.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
This is why you really need to be here. First of all, I believe that the Waikaloa that people here are talking about is the town that is located ten miles inland/upcountry (Mauka) of the Waikaloa resort area. Secondly, there are no beaches with sea cliffs anywhere on the Kona side of the island (don't know where you saw that). Thirdly, comparing Waikaloa with Captain Cook is like comparing New York City with Lancaster PA -- they are very different animals.

It's really hard to look at statistics and get a feel for places in Hawaii. Especially since there are no town limits, so you can't go by population figures. You may want to start by looking at aerial maps and maybe even some Google street maps for both places. Captain Cook is much closer to Kona (you asked about commutes), but distances can be deceiving because of the heavy traffic on the narrow windy roads.

I can't say this enough -- before you even think of moving a family with six kids to the BI, you really need to come and look around for yourself. It's hard to convey to people how different living here is compared to just about anywhere on the mainland. Have you found out yet whether or not your husband will be able to find work? Are you coming with enough money to rent for six months while you look for work and a place to live?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You may want to start by looking at aerial maps and maybe even some Google street maps for both places.
I'd add that Google Maps - Street View is awesome, where there is photo coverage. I was surprised to see how much of my own little neighborhood was on view... although not my place itself, because it's on a private street, which they did not drive with the photo car... so I could direct my distant friends to "drive around" the village and see how small and rural the place really is... less what people think of as a village than a collection of a few intersections with some people living near them, a handful of stores and restaurants, a post office... and a lot of space in between. https://maps.google.com/

Google Earth might even be a better place for you to start, since you have no real frame of reference to the geo-physicality of the island. You have to install an app on your computer to use Google Earth, and learn how to use the interface, but once you do that you can literally fly around and look at stuff from your own private helicopter vantage point. It's a geographic view, versus the maps view, but with searchable references to place names. In just a few minutes flying around in Google Earth, for example, I can easily see that Waikoloa is several miles from the ocean, and that it's really all by itself, while Captain Cook is just a kind of diffuse area of slightly higher density in the countryside, rather than an actual town like you might be used to from the mainland.

Google Earth

One thing to keep in mind is that there is only one actual town (not even a city!) on the Big Island, albeit one without its own government ... Hilo... and that everything else is just part of the County of Hawai'i. It's all more or less rural in character as you circle the island, with scattered spots of localized density, often centered around a small post office.

Oh, yeah... on much of the island you go to the Post Office to pick up your mail, because delivery service is not available many places. It's one of those 1,001 funny little things that's different here.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
I tend to think that my family uses a ton of water. With 8 people, we are constantly running the washing machine, dishwasher, filling the bathtub or running the shower....all.the.time.
8 people ...that is really something to think about - the water needs, plus what your sewer system will be. Septic? Septic tank capacity? When was it last maintained (ie pumped) and inspected? Or public/private sewer lines? If you are on a septic tank, you might end up with overflow problems if you try to do too much at once when using an inadequate system.

Private wells for each homeowner in Waikoloa then?
No, one big well system for the entire area. You just pay a monthly bill based upon usage.

It looks like Waikoloa is the area that has the high sea cliffs...which is great for views...but does that mean the beaches nearby are really difficult to get to?
Waikoloa Village is up the hill a few miles from the ocean. Waikoloa Resort is at the ocean/ shoreline area.

How's the commute from Waikoloa to Kona for work?
Good. Fast, mostly straight roads. Depending on "where" in Kona you are headed, figure 40 minutes more or less.

Are the association fees high in Waikoloa? I guess I need to start communicating with a reputable realtor / property management agent that services the Waikoloa area....
No, fees are not bad. PM me if you want some realtor suggestions.

I'm assuming there's not much in that area, aside from the hotels, correct? (Will have to go to Kona to grocery shop, etc. - can't afford King/Queen's high end shop prices with six little ones
The resort area has some grocery shopping options. Waikoloa Village has a nice full market. Costco in Kona is nearly everyone's best friend.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM

DREAMING:

This is why you really need to be here. First of all, I believe that the Waikaloa that people here are talking about is the town that is located ten miles inland/upcountry (Mauka) of the Waikaloa resort area.

Yes - I can't afford the high end retirement/resort areas.

Secondly, there are no beaches with sea cliffs anywhere on the Kona side of the island (don't know where you saw that).

Oh...ok, sorry. Someone on here told me that, but I can't remember the specifics.

Thirdly, comparing Waikaloa with Captain Cook is like comparing New York City with Lancaster PA -- they are very different animals.

Understand - could you describe your impression and draw contrasts for me? Pros/cons of living in each area?

Everything about Waikoloa sounds great so far, aside from possibly high winds, desert like appearances and a longer commute from Kona....now I'm curious what Captain Cook is like. Seem to be able to get more bang for your buck in housing and is a little closer to Kona, but I'm sure the vog is probably worse and it seems like Waikoloa is more accessible to nicer beaches.

It's really hard to look at statistics and get a feel for places in Hawaii. Especially since there are no town limits, so you can't go by population figures.

I know - I've looked at a lot of stats and it hasn't really helped

You may want to start by looking at aerial maps and maybe even some Google street maps for both places. Captain Cook is much closer to Kona (you asked about commutes), but distances can be deceiving because of the heavy traffic on the narrow windy roads.

Good point...

I can't say this enough -- before you even think of moving a family with six kids to the BI, you really need to come and look around for yourself. It's hard to convey to people how different living here is compared to just about anywhere on the mainland. Have you found out yet whether or not your husband will be able to find work? Are you coming with enough money to rent for six months while you look for work and a place to live?

I realize there is nothing that compares to seeing it all firsthand, just want to try to narrow it down to 2 or 3 potential neighborhoods/communities in advance.

We are planning to come there, yes. But not on vacation. We will spend several weeks upon arrival just scouting areas and looking for rentals and jobs, etc. Yes, we will bring enough to live on for six months. At first, I was only thinking it would take a month or so (and only planning to bring $15K in cash initially for first/last month's rent, a rental car, food, etc.) but after speaking with everyone on here, that is apparently unrealistic. So now we will plan on it taking 6 months to find work and bringing enough cash to survive for that same time period.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 PM

OPEN D:

I'd add that Google Maps - Street View is awesome, where there is photo coverage. I was surprised to see how much of my own little neighborhood was on view... although not my place itself, because it's on a private street, which they did not drive with the photo car... so I could direct my distant friends to "drive around" the village and see how small and rural the place really is... less what people think of as a village than a collection of a few intersections with some people living near them, a handful of stores and restaurants, a post office... and a lot of space in between. https://maps.google.com/

Thanks - will do!

Google Earth might even be a better place for you to start, since you have no real frame of reference to the geo-physicality of the island. You have to install an app on your computer to use Google Earth, and learn how to use the interface...

Yeah, I tried that a few weeks ago and didn't have much luck. I'll attempt it again

but once you do that you can literally fly around and look at stuff from your own private helicopter vantage point. It's a geographic view, versus the maps view, but with searchable references to place names. In just a few minutes flying around in Google Earth, for example, I can easily see that Waikoloa is several miles from the ocean, and that it's really all by itself, while Captain Cook is just a kind of diffuse area of slightly higher density in the countryside, rather than an actual town like you might be used to from the mainland.

Google Earth

One thing to keep in mind is that there is only one actual town (not even a city!) on the Big Island, albeit one without its own government ... Hilo... and that everything else is just part of the County of Hawai'i. It's all more or less rural in character as you circle the island, with scattered spots of localized density, often centered around a small post office.

Yes, I've heard that and I'm ok with that. Who knows. After 6 months or a year of living on the Kona side, maybe we'll up and decide to move over to the Hilo side. Like everyone has said, until we experience it for ourselves, I don't really know what our preferences will be. In the interim, however, I really do enjoy hearing other people's opinions/perspectives on each area...it helps me immensely in my research.

Oh, yeah... on much of the island you go to the Post Office to pick up your mail, because delivery service is not available many places. It's one of those 1,001 funny little things that's different here.

Good to know. I've never had to do that - but I suppose it won't be a big deal to stop before/after work. Are the lines typically long then, since most everyone has to do that? Is it expensive to have a box? I would think it would be nominal, but again, I've never in my life rented a P.O. Box, even when I grew up on a nearly 400 acre farm in the middle of nowhere, we still had a mailman. But the way things are going, who knows how much longer our government postal service will even be in business....is FedEx/UPS reliable, or is that generally on "island time" as well?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM

CYBER CITY:

8 people ...that is really something to think about - the water needs, plus what your sewer system will be. Septic? Septic tank capacity? When was it last maintained (ie pumped) and inspected? Or public/private sewer lines? If you are on a septic tank, you might end up with overflow problems if you try to do too much at once when using an inadequate system.

Good list of questions for me to add to my realtor list when looking at properties, thank you.

Private wells for each homeowner in Waikoloa then?
No, one big well system for the entire area. You just pay a monthly bill based upon usage.

Ah, ok. Thanks. I wonder if ours will be high then...pump running a lot.

It looks like Waikoloa is the area that has the high sea cliffs...which is great for views...but does that mean the beaches nearby are really difficult to get to?
Waikoloa Village is up the hill a few miles from the ocean. Waikoloa Resort is at the ocean/ shoreline area.

Gotcha - thanks for the distinction. That makes sense.

How's the commute from Waikoloa to Kona for work?
Good. Fast, mostly straight roads. Depending on "where" in Kona you are headed, figure 40 minutes more or less.

Ok, that's do-able. I commuted 60 miles a day for 11 years at my last job (on backroads that weren't plowed in the winter and without a 4WD vehicle )

Are the association fees high in Waikoloa? I guess I need to start communicating with a reputable realtor / property management agent that services the Waikoloa area....
No, fees are not bad.

Not bad as in $200 a month, or....?

PM me if you want some realtor suggestions.

Thank you - do you know a reputable realtor in both the Waikoloa area and in the Captain Cook area, or the general Kona vicinity? That would be great.

I'm assuming there's not much in that area, aside from the hotels, correct? (Will have to go to Kona to grocery shop, etc. - can't afford King/Queen's high end shop prices with six little ones
The resort area has some grocery shopping options. Waikoloa Village has a nice full market. Costco in Kona is nearly everyone's best friend.

Wonderful - thanks.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
Yes, we will bring enough to live on for six months. At first, I was only thinking it would take a month or so (and only planning to bring $15K in cash initially for first/last month's rent, a rental car, food, etc.) but after speaking with everyone on here, that is apparently unrealistic. So now we will plan on it taking 6 months to find work and bringing enough cash to survive for that same time period. [/b]
I would also suggest that you bring enough extra money to be able to get everyone back home and get re-established just incase things don't work out for you in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island