Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times

Advertisements

Good grief!

No need to get defensive. I wasn't even thinking about death and risk factors! Not trying to talk you out of Hawaii, either.

I am very familiar with Michigan and its weather. Just pointing out the bizarreness of the differences between the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
I don't have all the answers to all your questions, but I'll address a couple things.

Don't be over-awed about the views. The entire coast is hilly and most homes have some sort of view. I'd say its more unusual to not have a view than to have a view.

Not knowing how you currently live, I will say I didn't care for the neighborhood in or around Kona Palisades. Lots of multi-family living, equaling lots of street parking. We viewed one house that had 6 trucks parked in front (of the home for sale). I asked the realtor whose trucks they were and she said the neighbors.

Hualaloa is really pretty and green. Most homes have views, but not acreages, usually. Its coffee country, so land is expensive. Seems like the nicer neighbhoods were in the upper 600 to 800K.

Kona Paradise (IMO) is iffy. Some nice homes, many look like people built them out of salvaged material on the weekends.

As for renting a condo on VRBO, thats probably the way to go. I wouldn't keep moving in and out of rentals. Thats a lot of work and stress for the kids. And if you're just renting, the HOA fees shouldn't be an issue for you, right?

I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of people in or around the Kona area are retirees. There is very little work and most bring money and pensions from the mainland. Most younger people see the lack of opportunity and poor schools for their kids and flee. YMMV.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM

151 posts, read 329,745 times
So sorry nightlysparrow...didn't mean to take it out on you, really. I have just been drilled 10,000 times on all the reasons why I should NOT move to Hawaii and I think I've heard every possible negative scenario imaginable...aside from aliens and axe murderers I figured you were just another person trying to talk me out of it instead of answering my questions. I apologize.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks JolieFille, very helpful.

Yeah, I guess, being an island and all, lots of places will have an "ocean view", right?

Holuloa seems just perfect, but sadly, just like Maui sounds perfect - unaffordable for me I also noticed that most of the homes in Holuloa that would even be remotely affordable - but really, are still out of range considering the higher cost of living - are leasehold and not fee simple. Or they have a lot of property/land...and I really don't want to look after a bunch of lawncare and yard work...BTDT for way too long now. I really just want to enjoy my kids and go to the beach in my free time, not mow the grass. So that's why I'm drawn to condo living or the fact that in Captain Cook on the hill, we wouldn't really even have a yard....of course the downside to that is that the kids don't have anywhere to toss a football around or play soccer, etc. I guess we would just have to adjust our lifestyle and think of new things to do and get creative.

Hmm...well, I'm not neighborly. I have lived in my current house for over a decade and barely know my neighbors. I like my privacy and my number one pet peeve of all time is company dropping by unannounced, along with all the neighborhood kids and dogs playing on my property constantly without an invitation. Luckily, once thousands of miles away in Hawaii, the in-laws won't be able to drop in anymore. They'll HAVE to call first! Lol

So anyway, from the sounds of it, maybe I wouldn't like the noise and crowding of neighbors on top of me in Kona Palisades....? I like peace & quiet - despite that I have loads of kids myself - we actually keep to ourselves and just enjoy our own special family time together, aside from the occasional gathering with our friends and their kids, planned in advance. I want to sit on my lanai with a glass of wine in the evening and take in the evening air/views...not the sounds of the entire neighborhood....I just thought there would be more to do "in town" for the kids as opposed to out in Captain Cook - worried about them getting bored. But I guess you just can't have it both ways - you either have privacy and less to do, or more activities to choose from but less privacy. There's no "having it all." Especially in my price range!

Yeah, I could tell some of the Kona Paradise homes were nice, others not so much I noticed online that there were a TON of VRBO homes in Kona Paradise, so I'm wondering if it is mainly a vacation area (with the owners living on the mainland) and not as many year-round residents?

I know, you're right, it would get annoying moving every week with the kids and having zero stability to get our new life started. From the sounds of what you all have told me, maybe I should just try Kona Paradise in Captain Cook for a month's VRBO rental instead of weekly rentals all over the place. Then if we hate the long drive or remote feeling of it down there, do a month's rental closer to town or at the Alli Cove condos. Or vice versa.

Retirees means quiet. I'd take that any day over partying college kids, etc. But I get what you are saying - bring your money with you, not expecting to make it over there. I will mostly be doing work from home online via contacts on the mainland, so I think I will be ok. I have been working from home now for the last six months and it's been going well.

Thank you so much - this info is VERY HELPFUL!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of people in or around the Kona area are retirees. There is very little work and most bring money and pensions from the mainland. Most younger people see the lack of opportunity and poor schools for their kids and flee. YMMV.
My observations are different, I do not see an "overwhelming majority" as retirees in the Kona area. But then again, this comes from a person who has spent years working in and around Kona, and has sent their children to school in Kona. Maybe it is a matter of "who you hang out with", leading to observations of age.

The numbers of 18 + (high school grad age is about 18), and 21 +, are similar. (Although I know many high-school grads, who during their 18-21 years, have headed to Oahu or the mainland for college).

Here is Census data, with Hawaii Island (Kailua, Waikoloa, and Hilo) and Maui (Kihei) and Oahu (Kailua):
Census, select a city/county, and then the "Browse data sets" tab at the top of the chart.

Take note that the 62 and over folks are also included in the 65 and over group, they are not two unrelated stats.

Kailua CDP (Hawaii County), Hawaii Island
Median age (years) 41.0

18 years and over 9,943 76.1%
21 years and over 9,466 72.5%
62 years and over 2,457 18.8%
65 years and over 1,874 14.4%

Waikoloa Village CDP, Hawaii Island
Median age (years) 40.0

18 years and over 4,656 75.4%
21 years and over 4,503 72.9%
62 years and over 641 10.4%
65 years and over 541 8.8%

Hilo CDP, Hawaii Island
Median age (years) 38.7

18 years and over 38,611 79.1%
21 years and over 35,418 72.6%
62 years and over 9,964 20.4%
65 years and over 8,282 17.0%

Kihei CDP, Maui
Median age (years) 37.9

18 years and over 15,651 78.8%
21 years and over 15,258 76.8%
62 years and over 2,451 12.3%
65 years and over 1,862 9.4%

Kailua CDP (Honolulu County), Oahu
Median age (years) 42.8

18 years and over 30,212 78.4%
21 years and over 29,125 75.6%
62 years and over 7,172 18.6%
65 years and over 5,956 15.5%

Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Totally unrelated to Hawaii, but here is a community where 99.4% of the residents are over 18. (NO children around there!) And 4 out of 5 have already reached the age of 65+.

Laguna Woods city, California

18 years and over 16,205 99.4%
21 years and over 16,205 99.4%
62 years and over 13,984 85.8%
65 years and over 12,994 79.7%

Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
I'll take the occasional risk of a lava flow or an earthquake or psunami over the DAILY threat of losing your life just driving to work or school for nine months out of the year when it is perpetually winter here, with lake effect snowstorms off Lake Michigan.
Just to clarify for anyone who comes across this thread later... the only way you are in danger of a lava flow is if you live downhill from the volcano. It's pretty easy NOT to live in danger. Don't live downhill from the volcano! This latest breakout from Pu'u O'o isn't that far from the previous one, and isn't much of a surprise. It's just a slightly different place where the lava pours into the ocean.

Ditto earthquakes. We rarely get very big ones, because we get little ones all the time that let off pressure. (Stand for a few minutes in the Jagger Museum at the volcano and watch the seismographs recording the nearly continuous little temblors all over the island, and it will rearrange your relationship with the word "earthquake") I HATED the earthquakes I lived through in Los Angeles, but I hardly even notice the little ones we get here on a nearly daily basis. .

Quote:
Every place has its negatives...you just trade one set of "problems" / "potential dangers" for another
Exactly. Name your poison... Die in a blizzard? Tornado? Hurricane? It's actually surprising to me that these little islands we live on out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean aren't more vulnerable than they have historically been known to be. Tropical storms have a tendency to bear down on Hawai'i and then veer off at the last moment. Tsunamis can be very destructive, if you are close to sea level, but they are rare and the predictive warning systems have gotten quite good.

Cannibals, on the other hand, are completely unpredictable.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-26-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
So sorry nightlysparrow...didn't mean to take it out on you, really. I have just been drilled 10,000 times on all the reasons why I should NOT move to Hawaii and I think I've heard every possible negative scenario imaginable...aside from aliens and axe murderers I figured you were just another person trying to talk me out of it instead of answering my questions. I apologize.
No problem! I understand completely.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh, and to continue a little with bizarreness , have you ever read about the many Intentional Communities in Hawaii? Some are very strange (free love ), some are very specifically designed (all gay, all vegan) and some seem pretty normalized. Some function as retreats or for shorter-term stays, but some are actively seeking homesteaders. Enjoy!

Here are some for the BI:
Organic Farming at Cinderland Eco Village
GaiaYoga
Moving to Hawaii; Buying Land in Hawaii
La'akea Permaculture Community

List of all 56 intentional communities in all the islands:
Communities Directory Online[state_prov]=Hawaii&display_all=true

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I think the OP is bringing her own "intentional community" with her!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys!

I agree...you'd think that Hawaii would be more vulnerable being out there, all on its own in the middle of the Pacific, but it seems strangely protected...

We seriously looked at southwest Florida for many years, but the humidity, crowds and hurricanes changed our minds. Carolinas too - but now with the hurricanes on the East Coast, no thanks. Plus it's very swampy there. We were shown "waterfront" property in Georgia, South Carolina and Florida...yeah, their "waterfront" propery was a swamp with cat tails, bugs and gators

My friends in the middle of the nation have to deal with tornadoes. My relatives in California have earthquakes, as you said. I think you know my feelings about "Up North" I hate the desert, don't find the mountains appealing and need to be near an ocean - so that gets rid of the landlocked states in the lower 48. That leaves...wait for it.....Hawaii

I have read about the alternative communities...aren't they mostly in Puna/Pahoa/Waipio Valley type areas? Not areas I am really considering - but hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't judge, that's for a higher power. But I'll check my Revealed book before taking the kids to the beach to make sure it's not a nudist colony or something first

Good one OpenD! Cute, very cute

Yes, I am bringing a whole new tribe to the islands with me! Lol. Are there any Jon & Kate, Octomom, Mormon or Amish "intentional communities"? Maybe I should look into that JOKING.

For what it's worth, I will have you know that my six kids can sit quietly in a church pew for an hour, or go through Walmart with me grocery shopping and be very well mannered, polite, respectful, open doors for little old ladies, they all get A's in school, are clean and well dressed, play musical instruments and sports, do fine arts, etc....meanwhile I see someone at a restaurant that has only one or two that are totally out of control, ruining my meal, meanwhile my six know how to behave. It's all in how you raise them, not how many you have Just sayin!

Off topic...anyway, I'd love any other comments about Captain Cook - thanks everyone! Would love to shake your hand someday and thank you personally for all your time and effort.

Mahalo and Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island