U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM

10,862 posts, read 8,190,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
How cool does it get there?
Here's the City Data profile for Waimea (Kamueala). The weather information charts are near the bottom.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Waimea-Hawaii.html

Quote:
I was also looking at some lots in Mountain View. looks to be around 1400 - 1800 feet.
Here's the City Data profile for Mountain View. The weather information charts are near the bottom.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-View-Hawaii.html

And here's a handy directory of the profiles CD has for the small communities on Hawai'i Island.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Hawaii2.html

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 AM

29 posts, read 44,788 times
Quote:
...what fruits and veggies one could grow easily in the zones.
I wholeheartedly agree with the others concerning microclimates.

Now concerning food...if you are interested in tropical fruits (exotics, etc.), the greatest variety can be grown below 500 ft elevation. There are however, still a number of tropicals that will do very well up to about 1,000 ft. Personally, I'm not as familiar with the higher elevations, yet there are some things (typically non tropicals) that prefer the higher elevations.

One thing I am certain of, if you want sunshine, warm temperatures and the ability to grow the widest variety of fruits...you're going to want to live at the lower elevations. The land will cost you more, however the land is the single most important part of the equation. Get your choice of land right and you are well on your way toward living your dream. Skimp on the land OR fail to do your all your homework and the way is paved toward disappointment and eventual vacating/selling the property. In my case I paid 3x what I initially wanted to spend on a lot. I built a home, planted my fruit trees and live in a place I look forward to being for decades to come.

Ryan
Currently growing 60+ varieties of fruit @ 175 ft elevation

Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM

158 posts, read 211,650 times
Quote:
How cool does it get there?
If you live in Hawaii long enough, there will be mornings in the winter when you'll be at least slightly chilled even if you live at sea level. Your body adjusts to the climate no matter where you choose to live. You'll never be freezing, but you won't feel warm all the time.

In may be unthinkable to people who have just moved over, but its not unusual to see people wearing long sleeve sweat shirts in the early morning or at night.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM

639 posts, read 534,678 times
It's not just the temperature/altitude. One lot in a subdivision might have great soil and the lot right next to it might not have any. One lot at 800 feet might get little sunlight, and a similar lot at the same altitude a mile away might get frequent full sun. Not kidding, I've seen it rain on one side of the road and not the other.

BUT since you are looking for generalizations: If you are looking to grow mostly tropical type plants on the wet side look for something below 1500 feet. There are some species like coconuts that are nearly impossible to grow above (about) 1800 feet and as another example, one of our lots is at 2800 feet and banana plants grow (slowly) but they have never borne fruit. They make keikis and (so far) the mother plants have never died which in itself is a strange phenomenon. Sometimes coconuts that grow at higher elevations "exist" but don't produce fruit. Just remember that because you "can" grow something above its preferred altitude doesn't mean it will do well. You'll probably be dumping a lot more care, fertilizer, etc into it and for dubious results.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 AM

49 posts, read 37,366 times
If you want stone fruits you need to be in Volcano or above but you'll need a parka and maybe gloves and a hat. A 12 volt electric blanket if you're off-grid and don't have a fireplace or My Buddy heater.

If you want tropical 'seeding' fruits like coconuts, corn (I know, not tropical nut), starfruit, lychee & papaya love Orchidland; you'll want to stay at 1,000 feet or below. I've seen sweaters and the occasion light jacket in the mornings.

Mt. View is a great happy medium. You can have your citrus, coffee, kukui, papaya, pineapple, Mt. Apple, bamboo shoots, avocado and more bananas than you can eat. The University has some basic lists of fruits & veges that grow at different elevations. A heavy sweater or toss-on sweat shirt/hoodie a few mornings/evenings a year. Those evenings all your Tilapia will die but your catfish will survive.

You can grow your tomatoes during the hot months and can or freeze them and your lettuce during the cool. You'll want a canopy for the rain, especially for tomatoes, melons etc. Starch potatoes, sweet potatoes, green onions, legumes, low-chill blueberrys etc grow year round. The lilikoi give fruit a couple of times a year.

In Mt. View, I don't know what you mean by winter cause there really isn't winter per-say. It doesn't rain as much as people say it does and it's warm rain. Sometimes it slams like God flushed his toilet and the float got stuck. But this is an itty bitty teeny weeny tropical island smack dab in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM

129 posts, read 146,165 times
Numbers don't lie, but they don't give the real story. Mountain View has a nice climate. The rain mainly falls at night and in the morning, in the form of passing showers. That's the "daily standard" day. It's not too humid. It's more tropical than temperate in nature. You can't grow things like plums, apples, peaches, but you can grow papayas and bananas.

On the Big Island, a property either has soil or it doesn't. There is a lot of land on the BI that is recent volcanic, covered with a bit of soil, give or take, more or less, in pockets but not on mounds... E.g. virtually all of Paradise Park, Orchidland, Hawaiian Acres, Crescent Acres, Fern Forest... People might say some lot has "deep soil", but they mean "black muck on solid rock".

Mountain View has a lot of "real" soil. Deep red dirt you can sink a shovel in. It also has some volcanic land. In spite of all the slogans about "rich volcanic soil", on the Big Island, where there really is a volcano or two, the volcanic soil is the least desireable -- because it's ROCK. Surprisingly fertile rocks to be sure, but not what you want to farm with.

Just so you know. Because that's going to have a huge influence on the price.

Orientation to the northeast trades is as important as elevation when trying to predict climate. The windward side of an island is wet. The leeward side is dry. The heaviest rain falls at about 3000 to 5000 ft elevation on the windward side of an island.

Mt. View is just a few miles down the road from Glenwood, but the difference in vegetation is dramatic, due to the wetter climate of the higher elevation. The top of Mt. View is noticeably wetter than the Kurtistown side. It just gets hit by more clouds is all... But generally, MV is in a "pukalani" area.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

3,747 posts, read 969,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
It doesn't get cool there. It gets cold. Damn cold.
Is that "Damn cold, Centrigrade" or "Damn Cold, Fahrenheit"?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Location: Hilo, not Key West, despite what lying stalkers post
1,392 posts, read 1,171,238 times
Both.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Location: Hilo, not Key West, despite what lying stalkers post
1,392 posts, read 1,171,238 times
CyberCity, as usual, you are 100% correct.

To add, it gets "Damn cold, Kelvin" here too.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,747 posts, read 969,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
CyberCity, as usual, you are 100% correct.

To add, it gets "Damn cold, Kelvin" here too.
When you say Damn, cold, how cold do you mean (below freezing, 50 degrees, 60 dgrees? I lived on Oaho for 4 years and remember puting the heater on in my car only once (and I was coming b ack from a night dive. However, that was at, virtually, sea leve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island