Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times

Advertisements

How funny to think of tourists buying in bulk!!! LMAO thinking of tourists jamming bulk TP into the overhead compartment.

I think we have stopped being of any use to the OP at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Well, tourists on the BI and Maui buy the high margin goods - food, liquor, snacks, goods to take home for friends - costco makes a lot more money on that stuff than selling a big screen tv. The BI and Maui have a huge vacation rental market hence lots of shoppers in bulk.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
Back to HIGuild (who is not planning on opening a Hilo Costco), we are seeing some small eateries opening up around here now, I sure do wish them luck. Healthy, quality, affordable food is really needed around here. Someone just opened up yet another Asian eatery at Prince Kuhio's food court (we gave them a try but won't be back) and a sweet couple just opened a pizzeria/Italian deli in Hilo town (we quickly became regulars), and I heard of a few others that we haven't tried yet. You're just going to have to get your feet on the ground and do in person research. I promise you, if you open a place with delicious, healthy, fresh food, in a clean and convenient location with close parking (remember the rain!), with friendly service (we end up becoming friends with the owners of all of our regular restaurants...if we don't like you, we won't be back...but you seem super nice) at a FAIR price (doesn't mean cheap...means fair)...we will be your regular customers.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM

24 posts, read 83,448 times
Hi HiloDiver,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Back to HIGuild (who is not planning on opening a Hilo Costco),...
Ha! Had to laugh at that one. No, no Costco in the cards for us.
Quote:
... we are seeing some small eateries opening up around here now, I sure do wish them luck. Healthy, quality, affordable food is really needed around here.
This is just the motivation I need to get my butt in gear.

I live in Japan and not on the Mainland, but apparently back there there's a sea change in the restaurant business: Chains are closing their doors, or more precisely, breaking their links because tastes - both to the palate and as per socially - are changing, and mom and pops are growing through the cracks. It's a part of the resurgence in domestic manufacturing, where demanding local brands, that is - local brands that demand, are asking their costumers to be more sustainable and socially-responsible. I have no idea when this might catch on on the Big Island, or if it already has (at least in circles)?, or if it always was?, or if it's being eroded at just now?, but I do think those who understand and cater to changing people needs, desires and expectations will forever have plenty of opportunity to thrive.

[ This is where I enter my business model ].

Cheers,

HIguild

Last edited by HIguild; 01-09-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yep, by far, most of the business at Costco on the BI and Maui is tourist driven - probably over 3/4 of revenue from tourists.

In 6 days, the Kona airport lands more passengers the entire population of Hilo.
The story that I heard was that Costco couldn't find any land on the East side that wasn't leasehold, and they refuse to buy land that they wouldn't own, so they built the Costco on the West side instead while they continued to search for land. However, they can tell by nexus of the membership card that people are making the 200 mile round trip from Hilo to Kona to shop there, so they no longer have any plans for a store on the East side.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIguild View Post
I live in Japan and not on the Mainland, but apparently back there there's a sea change in the restaurant business: Chains are closing their doors, or more precisely, breaking their links because tastes - both to the palate and as per socially - are changing, and mom and pops are growing through the cracks. It's a part of the resurgence in domestic manufacturing, where demanding local brands, that is - local brands that demand, are asking their costumers to be more sustainable and socially-responsible. I have no idea when this might catch on on the Big Island, or if it already has (at least in circles)?, or if it always was?, or if it's being eroded at just now?, but I do think those who understand and cater to changing people needs, desires and expectations will forever have plenty of opportunity to thrive.

[ This is where I enter my business model ].
It might be wiser to test that "business model" in Japan before trying it in Hilo.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Open, I was under the impression that this side of the island has more population than Kona...I'm too busy right now to actually look that up (I'll bet you know off the top of your head) so I wonder why Costco is on that side?
Hilo has a more concentrated population, about 44,000 in the area the US Census considers to be Hilo, vs about 15,000 actually in Kailua-Kona CDP. But the more diffuse North Kona District in toto numbers almost 38,000.

Others have answered the Costco answer pretty well. For the nonce, since so many people will drive so far, so often to shop there, why should they open another location?

Quote:
So far as dogsitting businesses, there is a big difference between doggy daycare/boarding facilities and what we actually lack here, businesses I've seen thriving in other places,
Absolutely. I have a multifaceted friend on the mainland who writes music and does all kinds of creative and wonderful things, but who makes her primary income from dog sitting... and it's a good income, because there is a strong demand from people who want to do exactly what you want to do... have your pets well taken care of in your own home while you are away. She's built such a strong reputation that she can choose her clients, and turns a lot of people away at peak times. She has a good web page, and great references.

Sounds like someone with crazy mad skills with dogs could start something up in Hilo with almost no investment.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM

24 posts, read 83,448 times
HiloDiver,
Quote:
I think we have stopped being of any use to the OP at this point.
No, no... it's all interesting to me. From the "big boxes" to pet-sitters.

Hi Jonah, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It might be wiser to test that "business model" in Japan before trying it in Hilo.
The model is tried and tested everywhere and all the time, and a lot of the success depends on the compatibility between business and place, not to mention timing. Anyway, it could either mean a lot or a little if it worked in my immediate place, but I suspect it wouldn't mean much for a Hilo comparison.

Two different kettle of fish, as they say.

Like the other posters here have advised, it's probably better I get my butt on the ground there to study the traffic patterns and local culture, then move on it.

Cheers,

HIguild

Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hilo has a more concentrated population, about 44,000 in the area the US Census considers to be Hilo, vs about 15,000 actually in Kailua-Kona CDP. But the more diffuse North Kona District in toto numbers almost 38,000.

Others have answered the Costco answer pretty well. For the nonce, since so many people will drive so far, so often to shop there, why should they open another location?

Absolutely. I have a multifaceted friend on the mainland who writes music and does all kinds of creative and wonderful things, but who makes her primary income from dog sitting... and it's a good income, because there is a strong demand from people who want to do exactly what you want to do... have your pets well taken care of in your own home while you are away. She's built such a strong reputation that she can choose her clients, and turns a lot of people away at peak times. She has a good web page, and great references.

Sounds like someone with crazy mad skills with dogs could start something up in Hilo with almost no investment.
I used to co-own a pet sitting business in Alaska and while it was very lucrative (even for a start up) I suspect the core clients in Hawaii will be near the center of the towns where property values are highest. Getting the reputation started would be the hardest part.

Somebody had said something about a major chain pet supply store moving into Hilo- I do know that one has been trying FOR SOME TIME but has been unable to navigate the leasehold, permitting, and general "Hawaii issues".

But speaking of stores, I have traveled all over the USA and one thing I noticed about Hilo is that the big STORES ARE PACKED WITH CUSTOMERS. THE CHECKOUT LINES ARE FULL/LONG. It is so bad that I avoid going into them until evening time. Hilo needs more stores, the beaurocracy makes that difficult.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
How about a barbecue restaurant up in the Waimea/Honokaa area? Parker Ranch is up there which is either the biggest or the second biggest cattle ranch in the entire United States and yet there's no barbecue restaurant. What's up with that? Easy menu- BBQ beef either as a sandwich or on a plate, cole slaw, potato salad and juice/water/soda to drink. They are all over the cattle areas on the mainland and we have none here. You drive down the road and there's a big black smoker outside a fairly small restaurant and the smells are just delicious. There are two local slaughterhouses and the beef is all grass fed, what's more sustainable than that? If the barges ever stop, it's gonna be Big Island beef which feeds Oahu until they get something else figured out.

Another option might be a Farm restaurant. There used to be one in central Maui where the restaurant's vegetable fields were right outside the restaurant. I think it was mostly a salad bar and sandwich bar for the menu but the vegetables were absolutely fresh. It was some of the best food I've ever had at a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island