Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,139,759 times

Advertisements

What kinds of pet birds can you buy in the Hilo area? My wife likes birds in the house as all as outside. She even has a shirt that says My friends s**t on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There's a fellow up off of Komohana Drive who sells small cage birds like canaries, parakeets and lovebirds. He's mostly a fish store, but there are a few small birds, too. I think he has some finches and a small parrot or two, as well. His business name is "Aqua & Aviary Hobbiest" and his shop is behind his house. Start at the Hilo Library, go up the hill to Komohana Street and turn left (it's the only way you can turn) follow the road to the four way stop sign. Go through the intersection and then at the next right, I think it is Ui'lani street, but I could be wrong, turn onto that street. About half way down on the left side will be a house with the silhouette of a chicken on their mailbox and they used to have pink flamingos in the flower beds up by the house. Behind the house will be a carport where you can park and I think he has a sign that says "entrance" there, too, but you can't see if from the street.

I think his name is George, it's been awhile since I've been there, but he's a great guy if you can get him to tell you stories. He's been retired for decades and the pet shop is his hobby. I hope he's still there.

Other than that, you're pretty much limited to Stacey's Pets and Craig's List or the pet shop in Kailua.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I would think that if you were to hang a bird feeder near your house, you'd sooner or later end up being visited by the descendants of someones ex-pet bird. Mynas, fiji sparrows, japanese finch, cardinals, cannibals,, (caution, don't put raw meat in the bird feeder). Buddy of mine, up by Suda store here on Maui, nice bird feeder set up in his yard, but was soon taken over by the fiji sparrow gang. Kind of like bikers with feathers, just made a lot of noise and acted tough, but rarely traveled alone.

Aloha and okoledakine

Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
There's a guy who sells small cage birds at the Hilo farmers market from time to time. Last time he had hand fed parakeets.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info, it really helps. My wife asked the state guys whether she could bring her conure and parrotlet and they said - no way. So she has been scheming how to get them through a full body scanner. Not the best idea, for sure, but she loves birds. It is great to hear that she can get her birdie fix locally.

Now the hard part is getting her to accept someone as a good enough birder to get her precious birdies...

Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
If you want some conures come on over to Maui and catch a few. I'm sure the papaya growers would thank you. Some friggin moron let conures loose over here a few years back....PLEASE, don't try to sneak anything over here that is not allowed!! You know damned well some idiot on the mainland would just LOVE to bring over their collection of adorable pet pythons,,, "They're soooooo cute"

go figure

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Check on Craigslist. There are always a few birds needing new homes. I'm pretty sure I saw a red Macaw on there a short while back.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM

129 posts, read 389,638 times
You don't have to buy any birds. They're free.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM

She has to have birdies around even if it is raining out...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There are always chickens. The "silky" chickens don't look a thing like chickens so it's sort of like having birds instead of chickens. Plus they'd lay eggs for you, too, in return for all the bird feed you buy for them. How about some of those teeny bantam chickens? Those would make good pets, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island