Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Firstly, you will not be within an hours drive of any box stores, assuming that you mean ”big box“ such as WalMart, Target, Costco, etc. Especially if you are above 4,000 feet in HOVE. It will take 15 minutes just to drive down to the highway from there.

Also, are you aware that power and telephone lines do not serve a large percentage of the upper areas in HOVE? Houses up there are totally off the grid. You see a lot of wind turbines.

Discovery Harbour is more densely populated than HOVR and the upper parts of HOVE. While the streetlights are the dark sky friendly low pressure sodium (burn orange), it is not totally dark. The lots are smaller, so there's always a chance that you will have a neighbor with bright outdoor lights.
I live right at 4000' in HOVE. Amazingly clear nights (gets down in the 30's some winter nights, but I moved here from 18 years in Alaska, so I like it!), but I have only noticed any VOG at my cabin twice in the 2 years I'v been at this elevation. However, I live in one of the rare greenbelts in HOVE, in a 1000 year old Ohia forest, which probably keeps the VOG at bay. It takes me at least 1.5 hours to get to WalMart, with no traffic or cops.

Last edited by AlaskaJude; 06-04-2015 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You can 'see' HOVE right now. When the night is dark and clear aim your telescope towards the moon and zoom in. HOVE looks exactly like that. Desolate and lifeless. Barren. No joy. It is both in Hawaii and nothing like Hawaii.

Some people love it.

It's not for me. I prefer life, jungle, free water.
I take exception! I live in a greenbelt in Ocean View in a 1000 year old Ohia forest, and almost have too much shade. Every time I get fed up with something here, I just go to Kailua Kona or Hilo. Then I can't WAIT to scurry back to the HOVE, with its much cooler temperatures and low humidity, I did my time in Florida, hate mold and mildew, which you will get most everywhere else on this Island.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJude View Post
I take exception! I live in a greenbelt in Ocean View in a 1000 year old Ohia forest, and almost have too much shade. Every time I get fed up with something here, I just go to Kailua Kona or Hilo. Then I can't WAIT to scurry back to the HOVE, with its much cooler temperatures and low humidity, I did my time in Florida, hate mold and mildew, which you will get most everywhere else on this Island.
Alaskajude, you nailed one of the lesser-known qualities of HOVE, weather that is just about perfect. We live lower in the subdivision than you. With night time Temps in the 60's and days rarely reaching more than the upper 70's it is just right. When we want heat and beach weather, we'll drive thirty minutes to Ho'okena or into Kona for the day. A hot afternoon in Kona and we are ready to head bacK to HOVE where it is much cooler.
Also the bugs. We are on the lava flows in HOVE so I don't know how it compares to the HOVE greenbelts but we have roaches and that's about it (and very few at that). No centipedes, no cane spiders, have never seen a single termite. Whenever I spend time on the coast, especially at night, I am always floored by the sheer number of bugs. Not a lot of bugs on the lava.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM

101 posts, read 138,420 times
Can't wait to move over there in 2 years. I have a 12" DOB that barely gets any use cuz I live in a major metro area.
I use it in the winter occasionally in the 30º or below weather for clearest skies. Any other time I use my 6" DOB. It's easier to drag outside. I'm going to build an observatory with a roll back roof when I get there.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:47 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
Can't wait to move over there in 2 years. I have a 12" DOB that barely gets any use cuz I live in a major metro area.
I use it in the winter occasionally in the 30º or below weather for clearest skies. Any other time I use my 6" DOB. It's easier to drag outside. I'm going to build an observatory with a roll back roof when I get there.
For all of us non-astronomers, what is a DOB?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
For all of us non-astronomers, what is a DOB?
Probably about the best bang for the buck. Have a 10 inch Meade myself. But I have to drag it up to Haleakala for clear skies, there or down to La Perouse.

Fileobsonian telescope Truss tube design.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJude View Post
I haven't seen that green belt. It sounds wonderful.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I haven't seen that green belt. It sounds wonderful.

Not the best image, but black or dark brown is lava-flow and everything else is a greenbelt of varying levels of lushness. There are some surprisingly green areas of Oceanview.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island