Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
hoj hoj started this thread

3 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

I am a board certified Family Med physician considering a move to the BI. I have already weighted the fact that physician reimbursement is lower in Hawaii and the cost of living maybe higher (I live in Chicago and the cost of living here is pretty high when considering all of the taxes and real estate prices in downtown so not a tremendous difference from the BI). Any information on the actual practice of medicine on the island would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, other threads lead one to believe that the quality of care on the BI is poor therefore a high quality practitioner could find himself too busy in a short time. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,789,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Additionally, other threads lead one to believe that the quality of care on the BI is poor therefore a high quality practitioner could find himself too busy in a short time.
That is the wrong impression, and does not sound like a well researched assessment of the health care situation. Health care on Hawaii Island is limited, but the quality is certainly not "poor".

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM

No offense intended. I was just stating the impression I had from reading other threads. Some even stating if they were sick they would fly over to Oahu. I would suppose due to the lack of a tertiary care center extremely ill patients would go to Oahu. Let me restate my original question: what is the general impression of the quality of care on the BI? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,789,545 times
The quality of physicians is good. But, there is a lack of physicians, so getting an appointment can be stretched out. As with many rural areas, physicians that will accept Medicare and private insurance are in need, and those that will work in the more rural communities would find ready patients. [Of course, to be respected it the fact that it is expensive to become a doctor, and expensive to run an office (staff, benefits, liability ins, etc), and expensive to cover the overhead such as rent, etc.).

Many patients go to Oahu for testing, and non-emergency surgery. But that is inconvenient for the patient. PETs, second opinions that require pathology, Kaiser (insurance) patients, etc, often head to Oahu due to that being where the facilities are. But given a choice, we'd rather stay home on the Big Island if we could, close to our own dwellings, transportation, family, and support systems.

Serious injuries and life-threatening conditions are sometimes airlifted to Oahu, because there are hospitals there that have more advanced surgical facilities,etc. But that is similar to living in any rural area ... limited medical care.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Any information on the actual practice of medicine on the island would be greatly appreciated.
What is it specifically you'd like to know?

I work with about a dozen physicians on the Big Island. The practices range from solo practictioners (one even practicing at his house with an addition he built) - to a more formal physician center - to partnerships - and salaried physicians - what is it you are looking to know?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times
As noted, the quality of care is generally good, although the amount of care is limited. We just don't have the density of population to support as large a medical facility as Oahu can so it is a lot less expensive to fly the patients over to Oahu when they need some sort of procedure which uses expensive equipment. Things such as CAT scans are generally an Oahu procedure, at least if you are a Kaiser patient.

There seems to be a trend towards non-traditional medicine lately, even at the larger facilities. Acupuncture, stuff like that. I've not been to the hospital much myself, but I hear about other folks going and getting some interesting treatments. I'd call it "naturalistic" and "homeopathic" but I'm sure those terms have specific meanings that I'd not be aware of.

The two basic health plans on the Island of Hawaii seem to be Kaisers and HMSA. There are some funded by the state for low income, too, QUEST or SHIP or some such. I don't know if you as a physician would be overly enamored of the low income plans.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,036,322 times
I haven't needed medical care since my arrival, but people generally tend to say that Kaiser is a better plan for patients than HMSA is.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks to all; its informative to hear from people who actually live on the island. Specifically as a Family Medicine physician - is the culture such that of a recently relocated physician it would take time to build a practice or the extreme end where due to lack of physicians I would be busy from day one? Is it difficult hiring staff everything from office staff to nursing staff? I have been traveling to the BI once or twice a year for the past 10 years - I would think the best locations for a primary care practice would be either Hilo, Kailua Kona, or Waimea. Opinions?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
There are 2 options for you - look around for the salaried physician positions - or, I'd contact one of the Independant Physician Organizations - if you joined a IPA, you'd probably be able to ramp up relatively quickly on the BI - the compensation can be pretty low by mainland physician standards.

Here is one I work with:

https://easthawaiiipa.com/

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

892 posts, read 2,384,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
The quality of physicians is good. But, there is a lack of physicians, so getting an appointment can be stretched out. As with many rural areas, physicians that will accept Medicare and private insurance are in need, and those that will work in the more rural communities would find ready patients. [Of course, to be respected it the fact that it is expensive to become a doctor, and expensive to run an office (staff, benefits, liability ins, etc), and expensive to cover the overhead such as rent, etc.).

Many patients go to Oahu for testing, and non-emergency surgery. But that is inconvenient for the patient. PETs, second opinions that require pathology, Kaiser (insurance) patients, etc, often head to Oahu due to that being where the facilities are. But given a choice, we'd rather stay home on the Big Island if we could, close to our own dwellings, transportation, family, and support systems.

Serious injuries and life-threatening conditions are sometimes airlifted to Oahu, because there are hospitals there that have more advanced surgical facilities,etc. But that is similar to living in any rural area ... limited medical care.
Informative, detailed, accurate, and dispassionate...MAHALO dude. Fantastic contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island